Getting Them Fit.

Quads -read about them in j.blucks and harcombes writings -all i think is faggots of men and faggots of dogs-ive seen old,old men and their terriers always be in the rigjt place at the right time.technology has the world fukt

Quads are amazing for getting round earths, you wouldn't get round many holes on 28,000acres on foot in the uplands carrying everything you could possibly need,

Have you ever hunted over here? That's the difference. 28,000 acres would be 2,800 farms over here with many many 100-500 acre farms half under bog or rough cover, with farm neighbours who detest each over some long running family land squabble and barbed wire, double ditches and hawthorn everywhere. You wouldn't get far on a quad in most places. Have to admit when over your way and travelled on them they are the business. Each to their own.

• Like 2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

Gone are the days of walking with terriers on couples and spade over shoulder.

Thanks for the heads up.

I guess we in the good ol' Emerald isle should start to ask the farmers who freely give us permission on their 100 acre farms to start opening up gaps and gateways to their neighbours so that us lazy terriermen can drive a quad and don't have to carry big heavy dirty shovels on our feeble shoulders while a couple of troublesome terriers on a couple dislocate our arm from it's socket.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with being lazy at all Neil. And here not in the good ol Emerald isle u have to use discretion . U could drive round each farm park and walk but with the amount of footpaths and general busy bodies it would nt be long before u had someone looking down from the top of the dig

Is it not just a matter of common sense ? Times have changed, or so it would seem, surely no one would keep an unfit dog and them expect it to perform straight out of it's kennel if and when the mood takes or opportunity arises ? Reading the stuff on here I would hope that people are more enlightened now. Some interesting analogies have been made.

I knew a lad who was got knocked back from the Royal Marines because of fitness. Not failing training but not getting past selection. This kid held a title at the time. I forget what it was but something like Mr. UK. A body builder. He would not of looked out of place next to Arnie or Stallone in one of their films pretending to be soldiers, but in the real world his " perfect " physique was not much better than a fat lad.

Common sense.

• Like 3

Haven't been on for a while but interesting topic until this season really never done any terrier work on a quad mostly walked the hill with the lurcher and terrier with shovel on my back but had the luxury of being out on the quad this season and by feck you get a lot more done ! Yesterday I sent my day on a quad and dug a good few had everything at had and get back to base quick when we had a terrier in a bad way ! This morning I'm about to leave to go on the hill and my Russell bitch will probably walk 7-10 miles ! I don't go into fitness as much with my terriers as I do my lurchers but if I'm out mooch there's always one them with me just incas !

My opinion and it's only that is, your terrier should never be out of condition. A few short walks to empty out and piss about should be enough, I keep all of my terriers off the lead, they'll do a few hundred yards more than me everytime with chasing each other or hunting up. Terriers aren't running dogs, they don't need tons of road work, if it makes you feel better about yourself and more confident in the stock you keep then more power to you.

• Like 6