Getting Them Fit.

Al this talk of fitness but what about skills training, doing the ball work is just as important, I let my dog out in the garden and blind fold them so as to get them used to going around in the dark, also I get a rope and tie their front and back legs up, this gets them used to travelling around on the belly and on their sides, 2 or 3 times a day I surprise attack them by f***ing a bucket of clay in their faces when they not looking, this gets them used to something digging on in front of them and gets their eyes used to having dirt in them.

and do you bite there nose so there ready for when there up and at them ?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

I don t see it specifically to get the dogs fit it's just good to get them out having a run. If we're out on the quads my mate will have his dogs in the box all day and sometimes they won t get worked depending on how the day's going . If I know we're doing a few mile to the next place over open fields with no earths then I let mine have a run . They ve been sat in a box all morning if we ve had a long dig so don t see the problem with stretching their legs. Each to their own

• Like 4

Mine get a walk nearly every night. Just over the fields out the back. But it's more for my benefit I think. Otherwise I'd have to spend time with the wife.

I run the lurcher with the quad but never the terriers.

One thing I have noticed though is they benefit from a raised bed. All mine seem to have strong back ends from jumping up onto there beds all day.

• Like 2

You cannot put in what the good lord left out .i dont see a problem keeping your dog fit it cannot be a hinderance

That's a good honest reply, exactly what should be said, they don't have to be an Olympic champion but it wouldn't harm either way.

Most digs truth be known are over and done within half an hour to a couple of hours. If you get enough work they'll soon be fit and well to take everything in their stride. They should NEVER get to a state where they're morbidly obese, so I can't see what all the fuss is about, if it helps you sleep at night CRACK ON

• Like 1

You cannot put in what the good lord left out .i dont see a problem keeping your dog fit it cannot be a hinderance

That's a good honest reply, exactly what should be said, they don't have to be an Olympic champion but it wouldn't harm either way.

Most digs truth be known are over and done within half an hour to a couple of hours. If you get enough work they'll soon be fit and well to take everything in their stride. They should NEVER get to a state where they're morbidly obese, so I can't see what all the fuss is about, if it helps you sleep at night CRACK ON

Well I've got 2 choices get out with the dogs getting them fit.

Or sit on the couch watching that Jeremy kyle buggering them folk in hospital lol.

Fecking out with the dogs it is lol

• Like 1

Well the way I see it is the fox is fit as fit as he's gonna be trotting all night every night.

When my dog is going under he's going to be as fit as I can get him

I've then done my part getting him fit and strong in body and mind.

It's up to him then.

And I enjoy conditioning my dogs.

But each to there own I suppose.

• Like 4

What I've noticed over the years and it's only my opinion is that very, very fit terriers that are not getting much work can not only be a pain in the ass but a liability. They'll look for fights and bark when in the kennels.

The one thing good honest workers need is work to keep them happy. If that's not always possible then they definitely need mental stimulation. Some ratting or bushing a few times a week will see a better happier terrier than one that's looking at the back wheel of a bike for an hour a day.

As for threadmills and walkers etc. they have a different job and getting working terriers fit enough for the countryside is not that job.

• Like 4

“Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.” [/size]

Lt. General Patton March 6, 1944[/size]

Anthropomorphozize, seeing human characteristics in an animal.

They don't need what you think they need, they've got to be happy in the head more than hard in the body

• Like 3