Dogs And Ferrets

I agree, keeping a few stinkers around will ensure everyone gets on swimmingly..........then I got "Fred"....... Broken to ferrets when it suits him, wouldn't trust him with bunnies bolting all over the place then the ferret emerges..... He tends to get a bit "excited". My other dog actively avoids ferrets at all costs.

Matt

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn't take long at all. Equally important that the ferrets are steady around the dogs too.

I agree with you 100%!!! It's far easier to teach a pit bull not to fight dogs, or a terrier not to grab rats, than it will EVER be to train a mink to not bite humans! Dogs are bred to respect and lis

No excuse, you know your getting a pup so either source a ferret or lend a big hob of a mate.   As soon as the pups in the house, introduce them and get the 100%, I'm not a ferreting person myself

when a dog gets to 6/7/8 months,when there past boisturious,deaf puppy stage and they know what i say i mean,i just introduce them on the lawn.if they get to close a sharp no brings there attention away from the ferrets.but they do see them everyday so that helps.all my ferrets will bite the dog at the 1st chance anyway.

But how hard if your dog is an adult

Even with an adult dog the average lurcher owner should have little trouble educating it to a ferret,you can even afford to be a tad harsher in a reluctant older dogs tutorage.

Mine has got better with age. He has never gone for them but I all ways felt he would like nothing better than to shake the stuffing out one. Good as gold now and an indication of the ferret coming out of his side is him moving back out the way.

The big eared tit has been around them all his life

15060160606_206a2b5b6d_c.jpg

26258325374_a6545c64ae_c.jpg

My dad has a terrier that will not be broken to ferrets.

She has killed 3 of mine over the last two years.

If it is furry it is dead. I couldn't trust her along with them and I even managed to get her to the point of going ferreting after the first one.

The another escaped and she killed it and that's it now. She will not be broken.

The lurchers are not a problem.

My bitch goes out of her way to play and be social with ferrets when not working,even mothering an orphan litter of ferrets.She is from a line of ferreting whippet/stags.She also taught my very aggressive denning Russell to be gentle around ferrets.I let them all play together supervised in a fenced off area.I think the love of ferrets may be genetic on her part.Had other dogs work well with ferrets but seem to just tolerate them as a means to an end.

when a dog gets to 6/7/8 months,when there past boisturious,deaf puppy stage and they know what i say i mean,i just introduce them on the lawn.if they get to close a sharp no brings there attention away from the ferrets.but they do see them everyday so that helps.all my ferrets will bite the dog at the 1st chance anyway.

I certainly wouldn't want my ferrets biting my dogs, that's a recipe for disaster I reckon...

All my dogs and ferrets are broken to each other, they work together, last thing I want is a ferret nailing a dog and the dog retaliating...

I can't handle sharp ferrets either, if I'm sticking my hand down a home I don't want to be nailed.....

I certainly wouldn't want my ferrets biting my dogs, that's a recipe for disaster I reckon...

All my dogs and ferrets are broken to each other, they work together, last thing I want is a ferret nailing a dog and the dog retaliating...

I can't handle sharp ferrets either, if I'm sticking my hand down a home I don't want to be nailed.....

i agree,it's not ideal.i got a photo last time i was ferreting of my little jill jumping through the air trying to latch on to my dog. the ferrets are as gentle as lambs with me,even arms length down a hole.dogs not bothered by the ferrets but i won't trust the ferrets with my dogs at the moment.

My lurcher is really solid with my mink. She gets rather excited when the mink is on game, but she knows she's not supposed to interfere. Look at her just watch that muskrat, wanting to join the mink on the kill!

I think you take it to another level though! As you are starting with an animal that has no history of working for man, we'll other than giving up it's coat after being locked in a cage,and has a bit of a reputation as being sharp :D the fact you have a mink working for you is the big thing ,breaking the dog to it would be secondary, video is remarkable by the way
  • Like 1

My lurcher is really solid with my mink. She gets rather excited when the mink is on game, but she knows she's not supposed to interfere. Look at her just watch that muskrat, wanting to join the mink on the kill!

I think you take it to another level though! As you are starting with an animal that has no history of working for man, we'll other than giving up it's coat after being locked in a cage,and has a bit of a reputation as being sharp :D the fact you have a mink working for you is the big thing ,breaking the dog to it would be secondary, video is remarkable by the way

Got to agree with that, breaking a mink to man is a far more extraordinary feat for me than breaking the dog, mind you they really do work as a great little team, all credit to you Minkenry

Got to agree with that, breaking a mink to man is a far more extraordinary feat for me than breaking the dog, mind you they really do work as a great little team, all credit to you Minkenry

:thumbs:

I agree with you 100%!!! It's far easier to teach a pit bull not to fight dogs, or a terrier not to grab rats, than it will EVER be to train a mink to not bite humans! Dogs are bred to respect and listen to man, wild animals like mink are not. Funny thing is, there are plenty of guys out there who will try to tell you all three things I just mentioned are impossible to do. It's amazing what a little time, effort, and know how can accomplish! I know a guy who is obsessed with training dogs, and he can train a match dog to wait in the corner and scratch on command, without a hand or leash on the dog the entire time! Talk to most pit guys and they'll tell you it's impossible, or try to call the dog a "cur" because "it must not have enough drive if it listens like that!". I actually take pointers from that particular guy (who's name will remain anonymous for obvious reasons) from time to time, and he's a great example of a person who can accomplish things that are supposed to be "impossible". There are some amazing animal people out there, and learning from them, rather than listening to the ignorant masses, is the way to become a real animal trainer! No matter how much you know, there is always someone who knows more, or at least knows different things that you don't know.

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 3

Has anybody tried training ferret to do what ye mink does ?

I think he uses his mink underwater at times mate, some of the holes are submerged I think?

Not ferret territory....