Lurchers Running From Motor

You've got to think of it like this, all the folk slagging the men off that do this and their dogs but don't realise that driving the fields you're going to spot more things and get more runs in a night than walking your dogs so in reality you're taxing the dogs more than a walk out....

That's a broad statement and only reall refers to bigger game,,,whilst I practice the method and use it to good effect on some land,,,

The biggest bags of rabbits have always been done on foot

• Like 7

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

must be running some right shit dogs then because that's all we do get out and walk use the dogs ability rather than a motor and trust me we do just fine that's why the jobs f****d cranks driving.

That's a broad statement and only reall refers to bigger game,,,whilst I practice the method and use it to good effect on some land,,,   The biggest bags of rabbits have always been done on foot

back in t ,s we would just drive around country lanes stopping at gateways or a gap in hedgerow looking for teeth then a few "squeaks" with all sorts of things like polystyrene on window squeaky

It's funny as most of the lads I know who are dead against lamping out a motor catch f**k all anyway!!

must be running some right shit dogs then because that's all we do get out and walk use the dogs ability rather than a motor and trust me we do just fine that's why the jobs f****d cranks driving.
  • Like 9

You've got to think of it like this, all the folk slagging the men off that do this and their dogs but don't realise that driving the fields you're going to spot more things and get more runs in a night than walking your dogs so in reality you're taxing the dogs more than a walk out....

That's a broad statement and only reall refers to bigger game,,,whilst I practice the method and use it to good effect on some land,,,

The biggest bags of rabbits have always been done on foot

I wasn't talking about rabbit tbh, I'm on about the big stuff and stuff with teeth.

It's funny as most of the lads I know who are dead against lamping out a motor catch f**k all anyway!!

Hey I walk more than anything! 90% walking, I catch plenty

back in t 80,s we would just drive around country lanes stopping at gateways or a gap in hedgerow looking for teeth then a few "squeaks" with all sorts of things like polystyrene on window squeaky thing from bairns toys etc and if it came within 200 yds door open mut out -bobs ya uncle -if another motor showed up one person stayed with dog other sped off ahh the good old days

• Like 7

If I was going to lamp from the motor for big gear i'd do it with 4 lads, the driver, a lad sat on the open widow ledge of the passenger door lamping, 2 lads in the back with a dog in the middle and the other dogs chained in the back. Tap on the roof by the lamper, driver finds away in the field, lads in the back get 1 hand on the dog's collar the other on the door catch ready for if its at their side. Fly too it slow down when close enough door open with foot holding the door open so it doesn't kick back and send the dog under the motor, dog out game on.

Edited by Trev70
  • Like 3

never lamped from a motor i don't think it's the done thing.i would have thought a pair of head lights and the sound of the engine will push game away.game soon gets lamp shy walking the land but it's a alot more obvious your coming in a motor.

You'd be surprised mate, a lot of animals are used to motors and don't really see them as a threat, it's humans they do, well that's just what I've found anyway

never lamped from a motor i don't think it's the done thing.i would have thought a pair of head lights and the sound of the engine will push game away.game soon gets lamp shy walking the land but it's a alot more obvious your coming in a motor.

No need for head lamps just the lamp and the sound of the motor helps the dog, that's what the gear is hearing and seeing more than the dog coming in on a strike, that's what I would think :yes:

• Like 1

some people pull into gate ways and shine over the gate then throw the dog out,then move on to the next gate way.those people are lazy down syndrome plebs.if you have 1000's of acres with no hedges then i can see the point but around here you'd struggle to drive over some of the land.

• Like 1