Self Preservation

I've got a bull X cocker here. Her drive and lack of self preservation is scary. She would crash through anything to get to her quarry and doesn't care if she kills herself.

It is good fun to watch but not sure I would want her mindset in the body of a running dog. Not unless my missus was a vet. Lol.

• Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Lads i am compelled to write to this thread, So you have reared your pup, fed, watered, exercised, to the last, then you have carefully entered the dog spent a lot of time on Schooling the dog

My take on it is that I want a dog to try it's utmost to catch, but I also want it to remain spatially aware of its surroundings and dangerous obstacles. It's a big ask when a dog is 100% focused on w

It sounds like the same stupid attitude that brags that a dog won't jack on a hare even though it's pissing blood and can hardly stand. Something to do with the dog having the balls its owner is lacki

Posted Images

Well Lads i am compelled to write to this thread, So you have reared your pup, fed, watered, exercised, to the last, then you have carefully entered the dog

spent a lot of time on Schooling the dog to your needs, after the best time of year or more, you then would rather see the Daft thing Smash through fences, get a life, A injured dog is No good to you or to any one, + A vet bill of £350.00+ the vets must love you guys, what is the price of a common rabbit £1-50 to £2 ,00

A Hare a fiver, I treat my dogs with respect, and they work fine for me, there is some total rubbish spouted on here, of course my dogs get injured running at speed, jumping bad fences, etc,,,, running on bad tracks, stoppers, and nails, these are common injuries, (((( but I do not want my dog to be running like a headless chicken,

In your opinion you mean, who are you to say others are talking total rubbish ? Nobody...why so angry ? why automatically assume people who prefer do or die type dogs don't care for their dogs ? And who's dog runs like a headless chicken ? None of mine do, they will smash through or jump anything to get in terms with quarry tho.

I think all hunting men want keen and fully committed hunting partners, both human,.and canine...

I've no time for men, or jukels, that are not 100% 'into' the game,...

By the same token,...I much prefer to return home with my dog in one piece,.. (even with a few less captures),..rather than walk in the door laden down with bags of saleable gear,...only to say to my Wife,..."We have had a bit of bad luck,.our lurcher ain't coming home "....

Been there, done that,.many times.... :yes:

So,.in answer to the original poster,..yes, I want to see genuine passion from my dogs,..and hopefully,... over several long years.

Some ya win,.some ya lose..... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 9

Well Lads i am compelled to write to this thread, So you have reared your pup, fed, watered, exercised, to the last, then you have carefully entered the dog

spent a lot of time on Schooling the dog to your needs, after the best time of year or more, you then would rather see the Daft thing Smash through fences, get a life, A injured dog is No good to you or to any one, + A vet bill of £350.00+ the vets must love you guys, what is the price of a common rabbit £1-50 to £2 ,00

A Hare a fiver, I treat my dogs with respect, and they work fine for me, there is some total rubbish spouted on here, of course my dogs get injured running at speed, jumping bad fences, etc,,,, running on bad tracks, stoppers, and nails, these are common injuries, (((( but I do not want my dog to be running like a headless chicken,

In your opinion you mean, who are you to say others are talking total rubbish ? Nobody...why so angry ? why automatically assume people who prefer do or die type dogs don't care for their dogs ? And who's dog runs like a headless chicken ? None of mine do, they will smash through or jump anything to get in terms with quarry tho.

Yes my opinion, with a lot of experience, that goes back, starting from the mid fifties, yes up to the present day,mostly daylight, + seen the best days of the 60s,70s80s 90s and from there down hill, at a rapid pace, (((( but I NEVER left A dog dead or near to death in the field of sport, had some very near misses

• Like 4

Well I agrees borders posts seen quite a few jukels killed in action ,and hey guess what they all had that desire and no self preservation what so Eva .seen three old style non pecs kill there sells on the lamp in a space of ten days on the bunnies running for the coin . Now animals that learn from Welps and in time will hit cover hedge sides drainage dykes etc with the same conviction just they take much longer with there self preservation ok ya miss some some but for those that are missed they're made up over a season by not being laid up over a period of running we all want our jukels stay free from injury but hey mostly the real clever types and runners admired by many from days of old are not seen and viewed in the same high regards of yesteryear. Looks impressive hedge splitting hitting dykes at full throttle but it usually catches up with them those that can predict and learn the bunny his only a foot in slows last second and plucks them out . On a negative till the skill learned it can be frustrating to some handlers ,just sharpen them up does the trick.atb bunnys.

• Like 4

do or die or skid ?

I know what type I prefer in any dog, I don't want a dog even thinking that "that hedge" or "that woods" that they're flying towards at full wack is a issue.

Granted dogs can and will pick up injuries but isn't that part and parcel of running dogs anyway ?

From what Iv seen from mine and others dogs is the ones with little or no self preservation make more catches than the ones that pull up.

Id not own a dog that could not think and adapt to each and every hunting scenario,if it ran headstrong into obvious obstacles and never learnt from it id find it a pet home.Reckless dogs spend far less time in the field whilst recovering from unnecessary injuries,a smarter and more careful mutt will spend far longer catching what an injured dog cannot.Im not to bothered that many a run will end in a blank,its there to run and be hunted again.

• Like 5

lost 2 dogs over the last 5 years because they had no self preservation.both died before they had hit there prime.how is that any good to anybody.?it seems to me that some lurcher owners(usually bull x) like this attitude because they can get off on it telling there mate that they got a do or die merchant to boost THERE OWN EGO'S.like morton said i want a high drive determined dog that can learn from every outing not a flat out headless chicken.anyway smashing through cover and jumping blind doesn't mean your dog has no self preservation that just normal aint it.

• Like 3

personally when I talk about my dog I never big him up because in some respects his a pain in the arse. But I do talk about him because i am proud of his grit and heart which has nothing to do with me and is all him. He is certainly no headless chicken. I have seen him sit on the edge of a small quarry watching the rabbits hopping bout below with no thoughts of throwing him self over the edge lol

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

People love a little dig don't they!!!

A dog with no fear of cover and a desire to catch game so strong it'll do anything to get to it doesn't make the dog a f***ing moron or "headless chicken" sure it puts the dog in more danger than other dogs that skid but to me a dog that skids is in some way jacking.

And that isn't some ego "bull x" owning moron mentality like some like to spout off about its personal preference.

I reckon if you were to look at all the dogs that have really made an impact on the lurcher world and I'm gonna say all types of crosses that they were do or die type dogs.

• Like 3

Got 4 dogs here all of them chase into cover if they didnt catch rate would be well down as not many rbts sit far out on my perm. They all give 100%when chasing but youngest one (2 1/2 yrs) just gives that extra bit & has what i would term as "no self preservation" she's got a good few scars on her already But i would rather watch her run than a dog that pulls up at cover nettles etc. Every run is a mix of Excitement & trepidation!! As Vinny would say " its emotional"?? Atb

• Like 2