Not What We Had Planned

Up at first light for a couple of hours ferreting. Nice little wood with a good few rabbits about but lots of tracks and banks.

With in a couple of minutes the dog was quartering the bank. He went around the top of the cover and 2 or 3 rabbits came out and nipped down the bank. Next thing I hear him going full pelt down through the tree's. I new he was going full bore as he must been behind some thing and it wasn't going to end well. Sure enough I heard a hell of thud and a yelp followed by silence.

I started running towards where i had heard him talking to him as well to keep him calm. I was expecting the worse but when i got there he was just stood at the bottom of a big bank all hunched up. Looks like he took the drop off the bank at full speed but there was a strand of barb few inches off the floor.

So not for the first time I had to carry limp him to the car.

The vet thinks there is no breaks but he has a deep cut inside his thigh in the muscle and a few more rips.

They are going to knock him out and sew him up this morning.

Cursing my self for going there and him for his get stuck in attitude. But thats what makes him what he is. Better than hanging back 50 yards before any obstacle i guess

Getting ready the one thing i have managed to teach is well behaved quiet dogs get to go out lol

30248598431_1464f8c591_c.jpg

30218312432_187c86ff8d_c.jpg

The poor mrs had planned to go out for the day with the daughter so they are on stop till i pick him up plus the hole in the bank. She puts up with a lot

Edited by terryd
  • Like 5

Barbed wire: :censored::censored::censored: A lurcher's worst enemy. And as you say, the more committed the dog, the more likely it is to injure itself, but full on dogs are so much more exciting to watch working, even if you do have to shut your eyes and pray each time they go that extra mile or two.

• Like 3

Barbed wire: :censored::censored::censored: A lurcher's worst enemy. And as you say, the more committed the dog, the more likely it is to injure itself, but full on dogs are so much more exciting to watch working, even if you do have to shut your eyes and pray each time they go that extra mile or two.

:thumbs:

Thank you

Just got him home she stitched up the slash in the muscle ok. But his also torn the muscle on the side of his leg some how and thats a bit of an unknown

29708163444_60ac71ef5a_c.jpg

so will have to see. Getting a deja vu feeling here. So I know the drill rest and build up slowly and fingers crossed

30041566720_b7ea8e71b9_c.jpg

29706872853_623e75e396_c.jpg

but there you go he wouldn't have it any other way. Carrying the big sod across the field and he started wiggling when he winded a rabbit

• Like 5

that stitching looks a bit tight at top end and sort of not as good as i've seen done by lads there self..I sometimes wonder how good vets are at certain things...or do they leave the last bit to let the junior/trainee do to finish up.. a bit of stretching and pulling here and there to get a good fit is the most important bit of the healing process in aiding easier recovery with less pain and tautness of repairing skin.

Im sure dog will be up and at em again in a few weeks matey.... good luck.

Manuka honey is great for healing them stitches.

Ta folks I was surprised to see him putting weight on it this morning. Obviously sore as hell and swollen but looks promising :thumbs:

Its does worry me some time vin but the vet in question has 4 years experience in a farming type practice and farmers wouldn't put up with nonsense. Choices are limited as far as vets go.

Used have a really good vet years ago. Dragged him out of bed 4 am one night after a lamping session and he never even charged me. The dog never made it to the morning so maybe he was being sympathetic but not many would skip a bill now a days