• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He calls his mobility scooter a quad to sound all country...?

Just stay out the field and don't be silly mate.......them fuckers will kill you ! There's no reason to f**k about round cows unless you are directly dealing with the bloody things.

Maybe. Best thing to do is not go in beside them.

Beef cattle are more aggressive than dairy cows and far more unpredictable ... cattle are spookier at dusk and dawn as this is when most carnivores hunt and its ingrained in flight animals psychie .......

• Like 5

Its tipping time..so most heifers will have a bull with them now to bring them on.. there hormones are all over the place.. but if it was a field of black and white friesan bullock calves.. get used to it or walk somewhere else..there trying to intimadate you.

Beef cattle are more aggressive than dairy cows and far more unpredictable ... cattle are spookier at dusk and dawn as this is when most carnivores hunt and its ingrained in flight animals psychie .......

Unusually pleasant response for you, Socks. Considering the thread is one of Walshies rural life questions! LOL

Unusually pleasant response for you, Socks. Considering the thread is one of Walshies rural life questions! LOL

I was feeling all warm and cuddly .......

I believe that several people die every year as a result of being crushed by cattle and it's not just "strangers" that get the treatment.

As mentioned above, I make sure the cattle have already "met" my kelpies before I go through a field if at all possible. I also make sure I know where all the available exits are...just in case! I'd also agree with another point mentioned above i.e. don't run and, despite what signs in a field may say, I always let my dogs off the lead. My thinking is that in most cases where cattle come to investigate, they're doing so because of the dogs and if they do charge then the dogs can get away a lot easier if they're not on the end of the lead. That doesn't always work of course as sometimes you get a dog whose flight response is to get as close as possible to you rather than as far away from the cattle as possible.

I'd like to think that, as they're kelpies, they could turn one if need be but I wouldn't want to find out.

Finally, but most importantly, if in doubt then don't go in the field. Your wife is more important than a nice walk through a field.

• Like 2

I was feeling all warm and cuddly .......

I'm sure your sensible response was because it was something that happened to Trish. If it happened to me I suspect your answer would have been to make sure i always wore red and shouted Olé. :laugh:

I'm not certain but I think I saw a programme last year (either a wildlife documentary or science based one) which said that a lot of mammals (including cattle) can't differentiate red so the whole "waving a red cape" thing is a fallacy...not sure how it did start though. :hmm: