Scopes For Air Rifles

iv recently aquired a weihrauch hw90 theoben gas ram 22 air rifle, 11.2 ft/bl iv put 3-9 x56 eg excelvan scopes, not expensive at all, but iv learnt how to zero them in, from 40 metres away - with a can propped up on a stick ect, i thought i was zeroed in, but out shooting yesterday morning, proved me wrong, is it the cheapness of the scopes ? or is it me ? But My question is, are the more expensive scopes more accurate than the cheaper versions ? and are the one's i currently have, ok for the job? some may think its a stupid question, but my basic question is what is the magor difference between the cheap..and the expensive scopes ..apart from quality :hmm: thanks in advance FT ... :thumbs:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save up and buy a hawke mil dot at the least or better. Shite scopes are enough to frustrate and put you off forever if your gun is right.

Simmons WTC .....I can't say bad word about em

You only get what you pay for   but on saying that little hunter has a set of cheep 3,9,40 scopes he got off e bay for £16 and they are spot on lol   all ways check zero every trip out as tempera

Posted Images

iv recently aquired a weihrauch hw90 theoben gas ram 22 air rifle, 11.2 ft/bl iv put 3-9 x56 eg excelvan scopes, not expensive at all, but iv learnt how to zero them in, from 40 metres away - with a can propped up on a stick ect, i thought i was zeroed in, but out shooting yesterday morning, proved me wrong, is it the cheapness of the scopes ? or is it me ? But My question is, are the more expensive scopes more accurate than the cheaper versions ? and are the one's i currently have, ok for the job? some may think its a stupid question, but my basic question is what is the magor difference between the cheap..and the expensive scopes ..apart from quality :hmm: thanks in advance FT ... :thumbs:

quote..........quality of accurate shooting ? or quality of the scopes ect, OR BOTH ? ft

You only get what you pay for :yes:

but on saying that little hunter has a set of cheep 3,9,40 scopes he got off e bay for £16 and they are spot on lol

all ways check zero every trip out as temperature . weather . can afect your scopes and even the slightest of knocks can shift your zero to .

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

thanks guys, i hit a target yeserday, thought i was right on, and was 1 " to the right, which for a kill can mean the difference of suffereing, or not even a hit, but i suppose you,v answered my question, which was quite oviouse in the first place, ...money buys quality :laugh: ..................... :thumbs: atb FT

I have changed my opinion regarding reticle design/thickness on different scope makes. I started off wanting a strong image but as I got better needed something a bit finer and then bought an MTC Genesis with much finer reticle than anything else I had used but when I got used to it, I could never go back to a thicker reticle.
In fact the Ultra that I have just bought has a BSA scope which has a really thick reticle and I just can't see the target so that is already off and going to the RFD to part ex on something.

Take a little time to check the quality of the reticle on the scope you might fancy, this is a reason why I would NEVER buy a scope online unless I had seen through one first.

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 2

Save up and buy a hawke mil dot at the least or better. Shite scopes are enough to frustrate and put you off forever if your gun is right.

you are right mate, they did frustrate me no end, but iv zeroed them in to less than a quarter of in inch, but iv seen the ones your on about on you tube shooting videos, absolutely spot on :thumbs: thanks . atb FT

A question, why do you all use variable zoom scopes? I have a 6x40 on my falcon and a 4x40 on my airsporter, and I find they suit me fine. Do you lads with something like a 4-20x50 ish scope change the mag for different shots in the field, or keep them at the same mag?

Nor can I flynndog :thumbs: .

I have two, both of them WTC 4.5 - 14 X 40mm Super night view models, on my FAC HW80 and HW77 .22 spring rifles And they've lasted for years and years too. Simple 30/30 reticle and stays bang on zero all day. I shoot mine on 7Xmag and that keeps me fine all through the day to dusk or dawn low light shooting.

For all that though, I have a couple of Hawk Panorama mildot scopes that really nice for my HW97K and have been the best and longest lasting of all the Hawk scopes I've had so far.

• Like 1

Nor can I flynndog :thumbs: .

I have two, both of them WTC 4.5 - 14 X 40mm Super night view models, on my FAC HW80 and HW77 .22 spring rifles And they've lasted for years and years too. Simple 30/30 reticle and stays bang on zero all day. I shoot mine on 7Xmag and that keeps me fine all through the day to dusk or dawn low light shooting.

For all that though, I have a couple of Hawk Panorama mildot scopes that really nice for my HW97K and have been the best and longest lasting of all the Hawk scopes I've had so far.

I had a whitetail classic 3-10x50 on my excalibure and I think I only zeroed it once and it held zero for 2 years! Great scopes.

• Like 1