Pure Saluki

That's the thing, I can bet a lot of greyhounds would surprise people if they were raised in the field.

Yeah I agree there some of the first dogs I ever see run a hare were greyhound didn't mind the odd deer and fox either. But for me if I get a lurcher pup I want it to have a good chance of doing a few different things hares day or night big or small land few fox the odd deer or bit of ferreting it's hard enough to do this with a cross bred lurcher let alone a fast and furious greyhound.

I had a feathered small saluki bitch here for a while would

Run all day for aslong as it needed to I got it unbielivably fit me and a feller that's on here tom was out with it one day it was hitting the hares with its body bowling them over it just didn't have a mouth around it at all.

Get yourself a 3/4 Bull x Greyhound then, a good one is as close to an all-rounder as you'll find.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

That's the thing, I can bet a lot of greyhounds would surprise people if they were raised in the field.

Yeah I agree there some of the first dogs I ever see run a hare were greyhound didn't mind the odd deer and fox either. But for me if I get a lurcher pup I want it to have a good chance of doing a few different things hares day or night big or small land few fox the odd deer or bit of ferreting it's hard enough to do this with a cross bred lurcher let alone a fast and furious greyhound.

Run all day for aslong as it needed to I got it unbielivably fit me and a feller that's on here tom was out with it one day it was hitting the hares with its body bowling them over it just didn't have a mouth around it at all.

Get yourself a 3/4 Bull x Greyhound then, a good one is as close to an all-rounder as you'll find.

If one of those would do the job I'd have one not enough wind or strength for running the Flint for me ??

If one of those would do the job I'd have one not enough wind or strength for running the Flint for me ??

So basically you want a hare dog? ?

How would the bull line in that lurchers have been tested? 99.9% of bull types seen f**k all ever in recent history?

Been out loads day n night with these types and coursing lurchers x sal bull grey, on all types of land n quarry, just like the pures and coursing lurchers, other types of lurchers I've seen some are good some bad some terrible some exceptional , the better ones a pleasure too watch work, I really rate quality Sal grey bull x coursing bred type a very handy job especially in the current climate, there's a lad got beddy x grey back too coursing bitch that kills winter hares on hard land too kill on just shows a good dog pure or mixed is just that a good dog

• Like 2

Nope I've given away good hare killers because they couldn't do other stuff. I want something that will have a good go at everything but has enough stamina to stay on abit and can run heavy cover woodland and the flinty fields without skewering itself. You started off talking sense about the greyhounds bieng under-rated a 3/4 greyhound wouldn't do much after his first good run this time of year if you've got one that will I'd love to see it. Edited by C.green
  • Like 3

How would the bull line in that lurchers have been tested? 99.9% of bull types seen f**k all ever in recent history?

Been out loads day n night with these types and coursing lurchers x sal bull grey, on all types of land n quarry, just like the pures and coursing lurchers, other types of lurchers I've seen some are good some bad some terrible some exceptional , the better ones a pleasure too watch work, I really rate quality Sal grey bull x coursing bred type a very handy job especially in the current climate, there's a lad got beddy x grey back too coursing bitch that kills winter hares on hard land too kill on just shows a good dog pure or mixed is just that a good dog

If you have the sources you can find a good first cross quite easily, we are talking about an all-rounder here. In my eyes that is an animal that can catch all quarry big or small.

There is the big question, if a greyhound or full saluki was raised in the field as a working lurcher would they turn out acceptable.?

I can only comment on my experience,i had a greyhound bitch 2 year old from Belle Vue greyhounds, it ran hares rabbits ok recall was fair, it tended to go out to far from you 400yds or so all the time ,that was its fault.

The dog came heavily muscled and looked a powerfull bitch,she would only run one good hare then that was it she was over and done.

Anyway i just ran and worked her , the muscle size decreased and she started to look a bit lighter , well what a change in a dog she could then run 3 good hares,and umpteen rabbits without being burnt out.

I always wonder if the exes sprint muscles as say in Hussain Bolt as compared to Mo Farrahs skinny frame and the greyhound powerfull build compared to the saluki lighter frame was the main reason greyhounds burn out quickly.

the greyhounds in Spain look very thin , and they stay longer than our English track dogs to , Well a lot of Spanish dogs are bought in from England and are the same breeding as our dogs.

Anyway if people thought greyhounds could have better stamina , maybe more people wold give them a lurchers chance , regarding injurys most greyhounds owned are from the track and no nothing else than going full out period

Im sure greyhounds are sold short regarding their full potential.

• Like 2

Nope I've given away good hare killers because they couldn't do other stuff. I want something that will have a good go at everything but has enough stamina to stay on abit and can run heavy cover woodland and the flinty fields without skewering itself. You started off talking sense about the greyhounds bieng under-rated a 3/4 greyhound wouldn't do much after his first good run this time of year if you've got one that will I'd love to see it.

My mate had a great 3/4 a few years back, could catch hares and was very good on the bigger gear and teeth. That's a pretty good all-rounder in my eyes.

There is the big question, if a greyhound or full saluki was raised in the field as a working lurcher would they turn out acceptable.?

I can only comment on my experience,i had a greyhound bitch 2 year old from Belle Vue greyhounds, it ran hares rabbits ok recall was fair, it tended to go out to far from you 400yds or so all the time ,that was its fault.

The dog came heavily muscled and looked a powerfull bitch,she would only run one good hare then that was it she was over and done.

Anyway i just ran and worked her , the muscle size decreased and she started to look a bit lighter , well what a change in a dog she could then run 3 good hares,and umpteen rabbits without being burnt out.

I always wonder if the exes sprint muscles as say in Hussain Bolt as compared to Mo Farrahs skinny frame and the greyhound powerfull build compared to the saluki lighter frame was the main reason greyhounds burn out quickly.

the greyhounds in Spain look very thin , and they stay longer than our English track dogs to , Well a lot of Spanish dogs are bought in from England and are the same breeding as our dogs.

Anyway if people thought greyhounds could have better stamina , maybe more people wold give them a lurchers chance , regarding injurys most greyhounds owned are from the track and no nothing else than going full out period

Im sure greyhounds are sold short regarding their full potential.

Another reason that undoubtedly rings true is a track dog will go flat out from the get go. One brought up in the field will have a bit more brains about it and use it's energy more wisely.

My biggest concern with the greyhound would be injuries especially them feet, but slipped right one that's schooled right n ran too it's strengths could be exciting, seen one do a couple of fox n made very short work of them, very aggressive animal but very injury prone he was failed track dog so likely not ideal but you could not moan about his commitment for certain

• Like 3

The only thing rearing a greyhound for the field would be how suprisingly shite it would be lol

The fact that most greyhounds struggle not to get injuries on a lovely maintained sand track would put me off one for the field for a start

the old gh my pal had here never see a track neither its parents just another workin dog in the yard never see a bone man treated the same as the rest in the yard run hard feed well and a warm bed she was far from bein a world beater but would always do a honest days work maybe she was a one off or maybe the way she was brought up noin nothin different

• Like 2

The only thing rearing a greyhound for the field would be how suprisingly shite it would be lol

The fact that most greyhounds struggle not to get injuries on a lovely maintained sand track would put me off one for the field for a start

And you don't think running next to 7 other dogs will have a bearing on that?

• Like 1

And you don't think running next to 7 other dogs will have a bearing on that?

greys have fast twitch muscles they are built for the sprint not the stay .

• Like 1