Pure Saluki

I have to agree with articgun, i love to see pures run, just for the fun of it. When i get one, in the future, even if it does not catch much, i would be happy, as i like the breed a lot. I got out the dog game 2 years ago. Don't think i will ever get back into it again big time and a pure saluki as a pet/small time worker would suit me just fine, to me they are robust, agile and real clever characters with amazing memory. :thumbs:

I can't understand that logic. I'm going overboard here but would you enjoy watching a collie course a hare knowing full well it won't catch it?

No. As i am not interested in collies. Just pure salukis. I like the way they do things, as said, not for everyone, but just a few. I have used one as a allrounder and the lad that has him now, is doing the same with him. Pic of him below. Even if its a bit of bushing and ferreting, i would be happy with, as i wont get back into the dogs, as i have done before, but that is just me. :thumbs:

post-86469-0-56606400-1483295177_thumb.jpg

post-86469-0-14535100-1483295235_thumb.jpg

post-86469-0-15270500-1483295345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saluki246
  • Like 1

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

You guys have not got salukis probably never owned one so just blowing bubbles thats the truth boys lol Saluki s have never been a one trick pony and these ultimate hare dogs wouldnt be what they are without the saluki blood end of.

The truth is the Saluki is bettered as a hare dog wether you like it or not. Do you admit that coursing bred dogs are better hare dogs than the Saluki? That's one question, just answer it please.

You decide for yourself. i am happy with my salukis and will continue to be .No one is selling you anything so crack on .

• Like 1

You guys have not got salukis probably never owned one so just blowing bubbles thats the truth boys lol Saluki s have never been a one trick pony and these ultimate hare dogs wouldnt be what they are without the saluki blood end of.

The truth is the Saluki is bettered as a hare dog wether you like it or not. Do you admit that coursing bred dogs are better hare dogs than the Saluki? That's one question, just answer it please.

You decide for yourself. i am happy with my salukis and will continue to be .No one is selling you anything so crack on .

You know my opinion, I'm just asking you that question. In your view what is the better hare dog?

6,000 years of dong what they were bred to do , what in your opinion are they lacking?

5,950 years of hunting in an environment that takes them out of their comfort zone.

The first salukis came here in the 1800,s so they have done pretty well for ducks out of the desert. dont forget all the good running dogs greyhounds , salukis etc originate historically in the Middle East what would you lads have been coursing without them ?

Edited by desertbred

Does anybody run this breed if so what are they like as an all rounder?

Ive owned quite a few Saluki hybrid lurchers,when i was an avid fan of the hare it would have been rude not to own such an animal as they have no equal in that field.All my lurchers were encouraged to explore their capabilities and i strove to make them as versatile as possible,they all received the same education and they all got the opportunities to flourish at other disciplines.Im still in awe of the Hare but have not owned a Saluki hybrid for many a year,i want a versatile hunting companion and found the Saluki hybrids could never remotely match the ability of a purpose bred jukel better suited and adapted to a more varied hunting lifestyle.

So if they aren't as good at catching the hare as some dogs what ingredients are they lacking......

I think the main ingredient lacking is the fact they bred t run in deserts on a different continent, but in the bigger picture they all just lurchers some good some bad, odd one outstanding, pay yer money take ya chances, as long as you enjoy it, who cares

• Like 1

6,000 years of dong what they were bred to do , what in your opinion are they lacking?

5,950 years of hunting in an environment that takes them out of their comfort zone.

The first salukis came here in the 1800,s so they have done pretty well for ducks out of the desert. dont forget all the good running dogs greyhounds , salukis etc originate historically in the Middle East what would you lads have been coursing without them ?

Im not sure you are correct in your assumption that anything decent came out of the Middle East.Europeans have an impressive history in breeding dogs to satisfy many an hunting lifestyle,long before the Saluki reached European shores,in the short space of time its been in GB its capabilities,in the field, have been greatly enhanced by selective breeding,especially to Greyhounds,the hybrids about now owe much to their illustrious Saluki heritage and now are nothing more than an outcross when new blood is needed.The Saluki in itself is a poorer hunting companion than what its evolved into with selective breeding.

Im not sure you are correct in your assumption that anything decent came out of the Middle East.Europeans have an impressive history in breeding dogs to satisfy many an hunting lifestyle,long before the Saluki reached European shores,in the short space of time its been in GB its capabilities,in the field, have been greatly enhanced by selective breeding,especially to Greyhounds,the hybrids about now owe much to their illustrious Saluki heritage and now are nothing more than an outcross when new blood is needed.The Saluki in itself is a poorer hunting companion than what its evolved into with selective breeding.

Your entitled to your opinion Greyhounds originate from the Middle East as do Saluki The poorer imitations the Borzoi a wolf dog from Russia and Mongolia and te Spanish Galgoa I could be wrong but think they arrived with the Arabs in Spain. What other European running dogs are there?We are talking running dogs not various breeds used for ratching and hunting in its various guises.

Your entitled to your opinion Greyhounds originate from the Middle East as do Saluki The poorer imitations the Borzoi a wolf dog from Russia and Mongolia and te Spanish Galgoa I could be wrong but think they arrived with the Arabs in Spain. What other European running dogs are there?We are talking running dogs not various breeds used for ratching and hunting in its various guises.

All breeds evolved from a common origin,i was pointing out that Europeans have been the dominant factor in dogs evolution and have developed the original Saluki and made it better as an hunting companion on these shores.Do you believe a straight bred Saluki could compete,in the hunting field on these shores,with any 1 of its hybrid cousins?.

I havent kept Hybrids so again my opinion would be based on what I have observed i have done well with my pures here as have other of my saluki owning friends there are good and bad salukis just as there are good and bad Hybrids by volume bred hybrids seem to have a higher rate of failure. which is detrimental in any lines if quality progeny is expected. There is always the element of luck and chance but to level the balance slightly pures usually breed to type where as unless tight line breeding hybrids or multiple x,s it a gamble what the finished product is regarding height weight even temprement. As Some one said your animals only have to satisfy you so i enjoy what I have as others should enjoy their stock..

Edited by desertbred

I havent kept Hybrids so again my opinion would be based on what I have observed i have done well with my pures here as have other of my saluki owning friends there are good and bad salukis just as there are good and bad Hybrids by volume bred hybrids seem to have a higher rate of failure. which is detrimental in any lines if quality progeny is expected. There is always the element of luck and chance but to level the balance slightly pures usually breed to type where as unless tight line breeding hybrids or multiple x,s it a gamble what the finished product is regarding height weight even temprement. As Some one said your animals only have to satisfy you so i enjoy what I have as others should enjoy their stock..

You fudge answers well,are you thinking of going into politics?.