Etiquette/ Appropriateness Question

Last year I had the opportunity to shoot driven pheasant for the first time. It was great, and I loved it. I've been invited again, and will be making a trip to shoot pheasant again in December. Here in the US, driven shooting is extremely rare, and elevensies does not even exist. I'd like to bring something for elevensies, my host has told me that he is certain that it would be appreciated by the syndicate.

My question is; what is considered appropriate, and inappropriate?

Being from the US, and the New England region I'd like to bring something local, and with traditional New England flavors. Would an apple brandy be appropriate? Or would a blueberry port, cranberry port, or rhubarb port be more appropriate? We do a lot of apple, blueberry, cranberry, rhubarb type of flavorings around here. And maple syrup, but maple mixed with anything but pancakes is disgusting.

Anyway,...

Drinks associated with shooting and hunting have always been those associated with putting some warmth into the drinker.

Nowadays a lot of our shooting is done in warm conditions but being as old fashioned as we are still stick with those heart warming drinks.

So IMO a bottle or two of a nice tipple that will curl your toes will always be appreciated , no matter what flavour.

If I were one of the guns in your shoot then you bringing ANYTHING to share would be appreciated. Even better if that particular thing is not only something I habe necer tried before or is something special or unique to you or from your background or country.

Traditionally here port, brandy, sloe gins etc.

Maybe pork pies or sausage rolls as well.

From your list anything on there would be appropriate and appreciated, especially if you explain that in New England you do a lot with apple, blueberry, cranberry etc...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

id suggest something you have taken the time to make yourself, if youve made the apple brandy then go with that. i like the fact that somebody has taken the time to go out at the right time of year and hand picked, crushed/pricked botteled, matured etc something that they would then like to share with their fellow country enthusiasts. Anybody can buy a bottle of something, i just think home made shows a better understanding of your surroundings. mind having said that ill fill my hip flask with just about anything on a cold day lol

• Like 1

id suggest something you have taken the time to make yourself, if youve made the apple brandy then go with that. i like the fact that somebody has taken the time to go out at the right time of year and hand picked, crushed/pricked botteled, matured etc something that they would then like to share with their fellow country enthusiasts. Anybody can buy a bottle of something, i just think home made shows a better understanding of your surroundings. mind having said that ill fill my hip flask with just about anything on a cold day lol

Makes all the difference, and shows how much you care taking a gallon or two of home nurtured fuel along, especially when you become overly slack eyed and silly and end up spewing your ring all over the keepers finest velveteens
  • 3 weeks later...

Be interesting about the clothing differences between America and uk Americans go in for camo don't they ?

Most Americans don't shoot driven pheasant, or any other driven bird, so I would expect them to wear whatever they own which they feel is most appropriate. It isn't terribly hard to find a few pieces of appropriate kit over here. I was able to put together an appropriate outfit thanks to living somewhat close to a Barbour outlet, and a few deals on eBay.

Here in the states our upland clothing tends to feature blaze orange, while big game and waterfowl clothing is camo. That said, I have seen people upland hunting wearing some degree of camo. Don't get it, but maybe that's all they have. Of course, last year when we moved on to the duck pond in the evening, I was the only one not wearing camo. Never considered I'd need it. This year I will bring along a light weight camo coat to wear in the morning for geese, and the evening for ducks.

I haven't shot any game in Scotland, yet. Would it be advisable to invest in a kilt for that trip? A cold breeze could be tough. Hehehe.....

• Like 1

Be interesting about the clothing differences between America and uk Americans go in for camo don't they ?

Most Americans don't shoot driven pheasant, or any other driven bird, so I would expect them to wear whatever they own which they feel is most appropriate. It isn't terribly hard to find a few pieces of appropriate kit over here. I was able to put together an appropriate outfit thanks to living somewhat close to a Barbour outlet, and a few deals on eBay.

Here in the states our upland clothing tends to feature blaze orange, while big game and waterfowl clothing is camo. That said, I have seen people upland hunting wearing some degree of camo. Don't get it, but maybe that's all they have. Of course, last year when we moved on to the duck pond in the evening, I was the only one not wearing camo. Never considered I'd need it. This year I will bring along a light weight camo coat to wear in the morning for geese, and the evening for ducks.

I haven't shot any game in Scotland, yet. Would it be advisable to invest in a kilt for that trip? A cold breeze could be tough. Hehehe.....

no as your American your over weight deep frying turkeys and ducks so think you might struggle getting one to fit hehehe .