First Proper Mooch In 6 Weeks...

Gaz_1989

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well folks as some of you know I've had my leg in a cast for 6 weeks after breaking my ankle. It's been the longest 6 weeks of my life and I've been itching to get out. Done a few small walks on my cr

I.ll put it another way then.a dog like that is a liability if you don't no all the earth's where you are hunting .and it drops in all the time you will be forever looking for it .not my type of days

Nice bitch you can see the runners know the game mine tend to all pile in cover at once leaving the rabbit (or whatever) to make a clean escape.

Cheers mate. It's only been these last 6 months or so that they've clicked and started to work as a team. Hopefully we will have a bit of fun come winter. Especially now we got 2 bushers and different bushers at that. Should have most bases covered. I'm gonna be getting another busher next spring too.

What breed you gona get gaz ive a 6 month old springer here and nothing gets past it hes working like an old pro.

Nice bitch you can see the runners know the game mine tend to all pile in cover at once leaving the rabbit (or whatever) to make a clean escape.

Cheers mate. It's only been these last 6 months or so that they've clicked and started to work as a team. Hopefully we will have a bit of fun come winter. Especially now we got 2 bushers and different bushers at that. Should have most bases covered. I'm gonna be getting another busher next spring too.

What breed you gona get gaz ive a 6 month old springer here and nothing gets past it hes working like an old pro.

I'm not sure yet mate. Gonna get out with plenty this winter and see what's what. I've got a few ratting invites with my Terrier and a couple of permissions with rats so it depends how much ratting I'm doing aswell. Might stick to the terriers or terrier crosses.

good on you mate! you probably did more on your crutches than alot of people anyway!

but i have told you.......that plummer needs to come here for a season!

good going mate

Haha cheers mate. I might let you and Owain borrow her for a few months over winter, big her up on here and then I can pop pups out at £600 a piece ?

• Like 3

ha ha belting idea! ill dig her ounce at .7............. and viola your in the money.

what if i use her in hunt service......a hunt service plummer....the pups must be £1000 all day long. but we all know they will not work to ground gaz!

Plummer in hunt service? You been reading books again? ?

• Like 1

good on you mate! you probably did more on your crutches than alot of people anyway!

good going mate

Haha cheers mate. I might let you and Owain borrow her for a few months over winter, big her up on here and then I can pop pups out at £600 a piece ?
thats cheap for a Plummer pal ?

good going mate

thats cheap for a Plummer pal ?

I don't like to be greedy ?

• Like 2

back on your feet and dogs out good stuff although still cant get over size that bull/cocker lol

iv been out with few terriers bushing over the years thing i found is how slow they worked the cover,not saying they all like that but couple i see were,i soon got fed up standing around waiting for them to move on.

the spaniel x terriers work fast and thorough for me its their style,that hedgerow would be worked as your walking literaly which is why they suit me,another reason up to and around 15 tts works well,they doing lot work and lot miles,anyways thats probably another subject entirely, good luck for the season ahead atb

back on your feet and dogs out good stuff although still cant get over size that bull/cocker lol

iv been out with few terriers bushing over the years thing i found is how slow they worked the cover,not saying they all like that but couple i see were,i soon got fed up standing around waiting for them to move on.

the spaniel x terriers work fast and thorough for me its their style,that hedgerow would be worked as your walking literaly which is why they suit me,another reason up to and around 15 tts works well,they doing lot work and lot miles,anyways thats probably another subject entirely, good luck for the season ahead atb

Interesting point squab. I've never really stopped to think about it but can see where you're coming from. My terrier works quickly but once she finds a thickish spot that seems to be holding something I can often find myself waiting quite a while. But I don't think it's because she's slow as such, more a case of being thorough. If there's a bit of scent she'll often go through the same area repeatedly. Sometimes after 3 or 4 goes she's satisfied herself there's nothing there and then will move on. But quite often she's very reluctant to leave an area and when that happens if I just leave her to it she almost always pushes a rabbit out eventually. Don't know if it takes so long because the rabbit just gives her the runaround in the thick stuff and is very reluctant to bolt, or if it's more a case of scent being patchy and her having to work hard to puzzle it out. (Though my feeling is the former's the most likely explanation.) Perhaps if she wasn't having to do it all on her own things would be different.

In the early days I used to find these 'delays' frustrating - there was this feeling of wasting time and wanting to be up-and-at-'em. But I've come right round to the opposite way of thinking and now these moments are some of my favourites while we're out mooching; I think it's because I've always loved watching a pack of hounds figuring out a line, and this is my own scaled down one on one version of it. It's especially exciting when, as often happens, the more times she goes through an area the more certain she is that something's there. There's nothing remotely slow now - she's absolutely flying by this point and it's real tense stuff while you wait for the rabbit to bolt. Me and the lurcher know full well it's coming, but it's just a case of when and where...

• Like 3