Collie Greyhound

I used to have a dog that was bred off a 3/4 grey 1/8th border 1/8th beardie dog "Hancock I think" he was a good alrounder n a crackin lampin dog..

The dogs produced in 80's and 90's were far superior to the sh*te he peddles now,there hasn't been a sire or dam worked in 30yrs, I've kept every cross from 1st cross,2nd and 5/8 grey 3/8 collie, the 5/8 was superb at everything, my lads had 2 off him in 3 yrs,couldn't take a knock and simply not good enough, both dead now, I like more than one breed crossed into a lurcher, them 3/4 are f*cked after a few decent runs,easy to blow out no matter how fit you get them, buy off decent working lurchers, WM

• Like 3

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The half x could be on the heavier side if it throws strong to the collie, you should stand a better chance of a racy one 3/4 bred. I have a half bred hancock bitch here now 9 months old, nice and rac

My pup off merlin

What type of lurcher do you favour gilbey? i liked the saluki/lurcher cross collie lurcher for edible game.

Posted Images

Ye Hancock dogs are shit lol

I said it loads of times I know of boys from Scotland to the south using them, from delboy, Arthur, merlin, Kubla, woody and boycey.

And the lads that own em ain't on here, and judging by last seasons posts on here, do far more than most people on here lol dogs speak for themselves.

As for 3/4 bred blowing out. I know 3/4 bred catching 20 plus hunt uo rabbits and two daytime hares, one lad with boycey bred dog only runs daytime hares don't miss much, and has 3/4 runs when out.

Maybe it just me, maybe I'm lucky to know the few lads that I do...who knows lol

• Like 3

I used to have a dog that was bred off a 3/4 grey 1/8th border 1/8th beardie dog "Hancock I think" he was a good alrounder n a crackin lampin dog..

The dogs produced in 80's and 90's were far superior to the sh*te he peddles now,there hasn't been a sire or dam worked in 30yrs, I've kept every cross from 1st cross,2nd and 5/8 grey 3/8 collie, the 5/8 was superb at everything, my lads had 2 off him in 3 yrs,couldn't take a knock and simply not good enough, both dead now, I like more than one breed crossed into a lurcher, them 3/4 are f*cked after a few decent runs,easy to blow out no matter how fit you get them, buy off decent working lurchers, WM

Maybe your lad was just unlucky, if they were all like that he wouldn't still be selling pups :hmm:

Maybe your lad was just unlucky, if they were all like that he wouldn't still be selling pups :hmm:
lol think one of them run into a post or farm machinery flat out whilst chasing....how many dogs would come Good from that? Hardly any....but it's Hancock fault cos thy can't take a knock...

lol think one of them run into a post or farm machinery flat out whilst chasing....how many dogs would come Good from that? Hardly any....but it's Hancock fault cos thy can't take a knock...

Over the last few years on this site what strikes me is the huge differences of experience from lads and lassies getting pups from him, you would think after 30 odd years breeding he would be getting a much more consistent level of performers.

• Like 1

Somewhereyournot, I would say that different lads are easily pleased, I can have 3-4 runs in one field but what about the rest of the day, you may will have been lucky with your dog but I expect a lot from a lurcher, if you've never had a good one you'd never know, I have been to "Hancocks" kennel many times and knew him through Plummer, he'd drop a stud dog off there to use if he was away or busy writing bullshit, the whole kennels is built on a bed of lies, "Merle" never took a fox in his life and yet he produced crosses that did,"Richard Jones" was the better stud dog with the beardie in there,he produced some outstanding lurchers back in the day that took all quarry with great coats, the main difference between the 80's and the shit he produces now is the quality of the greyhounds,back then he only had retired or decent bred coursing greyhounds that were stood 26"TTS or larger,these dogs were tested and well run before he got them and he wouldn't take any old shit, my lurchers came out of "westmeade" greyhounds,the greyhounds he takes now are failed or retired track dogs, not used to the sinew twisting or wrench turning of a good hare, most have poor feet, Sally who runs the business now tells me she simply cannot get decent greyhound stock since coursing was banned in the UK, the stud dogs he has now are untested on either stock or quarry and the only exercise they get is running up and down his yard, you are buying a pet that may or may not work depending on how the genetics fall, old bitches throw poor pups, this is not my opinion but fact, you will get the odd good mix but it will depend on the quality of a particular cross or greyhound, here are some pics of my last visit, there were 140 pups on the yard that day and lots of bitches due to whelp, he has no other business now just his and sally's income from puppy farming, WM

• Like 2

Your on about my expectations then say you can have 3/4 runs in one field... I'm on about hares, so you telling me your gonna be running daytime hares, 3/4 runs a fields, the way you make out your gonna be out all day so if u walk say 10 fields that's a minimum of 30 runs on daytime hares lok read what I put.

I don't agree with the amount they breed all I'm saying is, there are more good dogs off them than alot of people talk about I can assure u that.

• Like 1

The half x could be on the heavier side if it throws strong to the collie, you should stand a better chance of a racy one 3/4 bred. I have a half bred hancock bitch here now 9 months old, nice and racy, hopefully will do the ferreting/lamping job well enough.

DSC_1712_zps5rxpxesk.jpg

Is that a bitch by the name of Sian? Apologies if I've got you confused wi someone else.

Your on about my expectations then say you can have 3/4 runs in one field... I'm on about hares, so you telling me your gonna be running daytime hares, 3/4 runs a fields, the way you make out your gonna be out all day so if u walk say 10 fields that's a minimum of 30 runs on daytime hares lok read what I put.

I don't agree with the amount they breed all I'm saying is, there are more good dogs off them than alot of people talk about I can assure u that.

I live in an area renowned for hares and have always kept fast lurchers for over 40 yrs, my local estate has plenty there but as we know it is illegal to run them, as said I've kept plenty of lurchers and certainly know a decent one from bad, he peddles far too many not to produce the odd good one, my average day will see me come across a very mixed bag and I will expect a lurcher to take whats put in front of it, a hare will only test one aspect needed in a running dog.

The greyhounds of any quality are not numerous enough to supply him with enough decent pups for his demand, last time I called in he sold 4 pups and they all went for dog agility and he reckoned that was his largest market, the only good thing is that you will get a genuine first or second cross with exactly what you want but the beardie crosses are somewhere in between as they have been line bred and although related the studs throw quite different progeny, WM