Feeding Racing Pigeons

Hello I was given a load of racing pigeons for ferret food and have been told by someone that you cant feed them racing pigeon that has had its vaccinations as its contains things that will harm your ferrets I was just wondering if this is true as I don't want to feed them something that could harm them

Some flyers have their pigeons on so many supplements and chemicals it would make a Russian olympian blush.

I feed racing pigeons to mine but only young birds that haven't made the grade and were getting their heads pulled regardless or unwanted / not needed youngsters that still aren't even in full feather.

No health problems to report, but I only feed pigeons I know are clean.

• Like 1

Mine get them regularly and it's never bothered them, I think they vaccinate chickens with a similar vaccine too?

Very true , and probably worse stuff in there , once fed a litter on raw supermarket chicken big mistake , the whole litter was bad couldn't walk dragged them selves about ,

Mine get them regularly and it's never bothered them, I think they vaccinate chickens with a similar vaccine too?

Very true , and probably worse stuff in there , once fed a litter on raw supermarket chicken big mistake , the whole litter was bad couldn't walk dragged them selves about ,

That wouldn't have been because of anything nasty in the chicken, but because of a vitamin/mineral deficiency caused by just feeding meat alone. If they'd had some whole carcass as well they'd probably have been ok.