Deerhound Coursing...1989

Where they are really that bad? Barely a hare got pressured, I certainly wouldn't be after anything out of any them.

They say they come into there own on rough terrain but sure you still need pace and agility to start with, couldn't see one of them pressuring a deer over any ground, can't bend an hare what about a deer unless it hit a heather patch or gullie. Na not for me iam afraid

Where they are really that bad? Barely a hare got pressured, I certainly wouldn't be after anything out of any them.

They say they come into there own on rough terrain but sure you still need pace and agility to start with, couldn't see one of them pressuring a deer over any ground, can't bend an hare what about a deer unless it hit a heather patch or gullie. Na not for me iam afraid

true , a fallow on open ground, no fences etc can shift, dont think them deerhounds could catch one. the old deerhound from years gone by was alot differnt dog, alot smaller in height/ weight 28-30in 70-90lb, todays deerhounds are over 32in and 140lb, way to big to catch a deer , same with irish wolfhounds the old wolfhound was alot smaller than todays big lumps. lol

Good old England Expects a Blue coloured Champion Greyhound of 73 lbs hard weight or

Art Banksy a Black Open Class Greyhound who broke the great Flying Winners Tk rec at Notts again 73 lbs hard weight is what's needed to put into Deerhound Stock to liven the blood up.

Then put back to the best working Deerhound blood available.

Both Sired by the Great Westmead Hawk

Both Staying - Marathon types

Ideal for Lurchers ' Salukis and Deerhounds.

Free mateings available if anyone was after using them.

And don't worry I wouldn't even ask your or your dogs names if you get my drift.

Probably just what Deerhound lines need at this moment in time .

I canny believe that some of the guys that breed greyhound/Deerhounds, Platts/Cooklands, haven't been knocking your door down Max :no:

• Like 3

When I very first started coursing it was with a club whose members were, for the most part, people who didn't really work their dogs. Most were woefully unfit, just like those Deerhounds in the video. One or two member who ran Saluki types, over 25 years ago, went along more for the social aspect, as the coursing was doubled-up, under rules. Those members' dogs never won, they weren't fast enough, but there were usually plenty of hares which gave those people a chance to run their dogs single-handed after the meeting had finished. After a few years went by, nearly everyone was running Saluki types, having seen what they could do. The game changed completely, and by the time the ban came in those Saluki types could hold their own, for speed, as well as stamina of course, against any other types.

I also remember a couple of people who came along with Whippet/Greyhound types. Fast and furious, blistering speed, but relatively little stamina. Exciting to watch for the first minute or two. And there was a guy with a Deerhound first cross. I had one too. They couldn't hold a candle to the other dogs, even when fit. Nice dogs though, and amazing to watch them thundering over plough for a couple of minutes.

• Like 5

Good old England Expects a Blue coloured Champion Greyhound of 73 lbs hard weight or

Art Banksy a Black Open Class Greyhound who broke the great Flying Winners Tk rec at Notts again 73 lbs hard weight is what's needed to put into Deerhound Stock to liven the blood up.

Then put back to the best working Deerhound blood available.

Both Sired by the Great Westmead Hawk

Both Staying - Marathon types

Ideal for Lurchers ' Salukis and Deerhounds.

Free mateings available if anyone was after using them.

And don't worry I wouldn't even ask your or your dogs names if you get my drift.

Probably just what Deerhound lines need at this moment in time .

I canny believe that some of the guys that breed greyhound/Deerhounds, Platts/Cooklands, haven't been knocking your door down Max :no:
Trevor is only up the road from him,30 minutes away?
  • Like 1

The offer is there Marvel

If they want to use a bit of Quality Greyhound blood from staying / Marathon lines which will definatley improve their strain they only have to ask.

And it's Free.

I would find a way to take advantage of this fine offer. Atvb to you Maxhardcore.
  • Like 2

Imo a fast and up and at them saluki/grey of tested stock would have far more to offer than pure grey to give you a better quality all round animal

Edited by MIK
  • Like 2

Imo a fast and up and at them saluki/grey of tested stock would have far more to offer than pure grey to give you a better quality all round animal

You might be able to make a really good one of those with Max's fine offer, but I understand what you are saying.

When the highlanders wrote of the deerhounds impressive feats,the deerhound was more like the staghounds in oz or usa, or a deerhoundy lurcher,over here breeders bred other dogs into them to bulk them up,now they only look good in a Manor House in front of a lit open fire.

The majority of the Deerhoundy,s depicted on the clip are a poor representation of a Deerhound in its true sense,the original is a dog of folklore now and is many,many generations removed from its honest ancestry.The KC fecked the breed and it will never recover from the KC influence.The folk that blend the best of what the Deerhound had to offer,especially with a splash of Grey and Collie, will enter the working field and fare a damn site better with their charges than folk with a more pure bred un.The mongrel bred Deerhoundys about now are a far better representation of the true Deerhound,in shape,size and ability,than their rosette chasing cousins.We don,t need to be influenced by dogs over the pond to own and work a decent Deerhoundy over here,although a couple of yanks posting on here own some admirable types that id readily adapt to suit my hunting and breeding endeavours.

• Like 1

When the highlanders wrote of the deerhounds impressive feats,the deerhound was more like the staghounds in oz or usa, or a deerhoundy lurcher,over here breeders bred other dogs into them to bulk them up,now they only look good in a Manor House in front of a lit open fire.

The majority of the Deerhoundy,s depicted on the clip are a poor representation of a Deerhound in its true sense,the original is a dog of folklore now and is many,many generations removed from its honest ancestry.The KC fecked the breed and it will never recover from the KC influence.The folk that blend the best of what the Deerhound had to offer,especially with a splash of Grey and Collie, will enter the working field and fare a damn site better with their charges than folk with a more pure bred un.The mongrel bred Deerhoundys about now are a far better representation of the true Deerhound,in shape,size and ability,than their rosette chasing cousins.We don,t need to be influenced by dogs over the pond to own and work a decent Deerhoundy over here,although a couple of yanks posting on here own some admirable types that id readily adapt to suit my hunting and breeding endeavours.
That's what I meant the kc lot either bred biggest to biggest or added other breeds to bulk them up,now they are just lumberers, where as like you say the deerhound blooded Lurcher can add coat ,nose feet etc to a Lurcher breeding.
  • Like 1