Favourite Quarry?

I asked this question on another forum about a year ago, just after I returned to airgun hunting. There was some interesting responses.

As this is mainly a hunting forum, I'm genuinely interested to hear everyone's answers :thumbs:

For me, because you can't beat hunting for the pot, second place has to go to either Rabbits or Pigeons ........

A tricky stalk and a clean kill, rewarded with a nice healthy rabbit, is very satisfying.

Also, a good clean shot on a Pigeon, when it just drops without a fuss. All the better if it's a big 'un with nice meaty breasts.

However, my 1st place goes to Magpies, the 'orrible little buggers.

I don't get much opportunity to shoot these but, I've caught a few harassing nests. When this happens and, I'm in a position to put a JSB Heavy in its chest, I'm a happy man.

I think I'm more pleased that whatever is in the nest can breath a sigh of relief when I'm done :yes:

• Like 4

Good post. For me... Woodpigeons.

There small target out at anything over 25 yards, provide great shooting if the right spot is found, whether it be on decoys on a sitty/roost shoot, they are as wary as f'k, and Id go as far to say as there probably the best tasting, but thats an op, of course.

I do like stalking/shooting rabbits, but find it more a job that a sport. The kits and half grown ones, dont really provide much of a test if there out on force. Squirrels are the same for me, as I dont eat them myself or know anyone nearby who does, I dont really like shooting [in large numbers] game I dont eat or pass on to anyone who does.

Crows or 'pies on the other hand... Id drop as many of them as I could :)

• Like 3

I would say woodies take 1st prize as it's soooooooooo satisfying getting at headshot on a woodie sat up a tall tree that hasn't noticed your there combined with the fact they taste amazing!

Maggies are a very very close second for the same reasons as you mentioned pal.

• Like 1

I haven't had much experience with rats or squirrels yet ....

I picked up a small farmyard permission late last year - the eccentric woman said she was overrun with rats. We spent 4 nights there and didn't see a single one :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get some squirrel hunting soon - I've heard they taste quite nice. I can't wait to see the missus face whe she sees it on the barbecue :D

Stalking rabbits for me , nothing finer that getting up close for the shot ,

Atb

Well hurry up and get your arse down here then :thumbs:

I'm not going to keep shooting them in ones and twos you know :whistling:

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 1