So You Think You,s Can Shoot A Springer

Truth be known I've got a old BSA airsporter mk1 , 1960 I think , with iron sites , no grove for a scope , and I can't hit my living room door , sat on the settee

Ar well

We all had Airsporters when we were kids and surprisingly we managed to hit a few things with them too. When it was all you had you didn't know any different. In later years I had an Anschutz .22 rimfire with a poxy 4 x 20 scope on it, and could hit a clothes peg at 100 yds. So why have I got a super-duper 3 - 9 x 40 mildot scope on my .177 springer? Because I can :laugh:

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know me walshie iv had threads pulled for saying how it is mate   im a good shot(with a scope on) but im not a great shot i miss just like the rest of us   and if i miss i say i miss   there

Just cos you cant us open sites Mark and before you say it   neither can i                                                   only saying like                    

Nice try Mark But still shit mate ! Lol They should be pellet on pellet at that range , so get some more practice in you twat But then other folk recon we don't need to practice Atb mate Dave

Posted Images

Well I could " flick her bean" ( gnat`s fanny) at 120 yards with open sights off a playground swing, " honest" !

Fun aside, as kids, we had Meteors, Mercury`s, Air Sporters, FWB Sport etc, etc all .22 and open sights.

If we could make the head of a bull rush explode at 30 yards, "your zeroed" and feck me did we shoot some stuff ! :yes:

atb

tbh i havnt shot many rifles with open sights i had a bent 30/30 ret nikko when I was a kid ? I have got a few rifles still with iron sights on and one restoration project with half of one. shot target pistols though and you can't have a scope or a red dot ?

Edited by treecreeper

To shoot opens well a crucial aspect of importance is how the stock fits you.

The rifle when shouldered must all but have the sights lined up!

If not there will be fumbling and loading the stock up giving discouraging results.

Set them so you aim under the target so the target is fully in view. Some call it the six o'clock hold.

SAM_0368.jpg

U.

• Like 1

Well i took little hunter out on the crows last night we only got about 15 between us

all mine were boiler room shots(could not see there heads lol)

only two hit the ground the rest were stuck in the tree,s or in thick brush

i left the hw100 22 at home and took the open site stroeger

little hunter used the hw100 177

dont ask how many i miss,d lol

and when i say miss,d i mean completely miss,d :laugh:

but iv got to say it was the best few hours out iv had in a long time

felt like a kid

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-64699900-1463727340.jpg

post-63400-0-57580200-1463727349.jpg

post-63400-0-04047000-1463727358.jpg

post-63400-0-20844000-1463727366.jpg

post-63400-0-45467200-1463727375.jpg

post-63400-0-74115200-1463727384.jpg

post-63400-0-15932800-1463727395.jpg

• Like 2

Fair play to you mate for putting that up. You lot normally make out you can shoot a gnat's tadger off at 120 yards in a crosswind. :laugh:

Now we know the truth. :D

You know me walshie iv had threads pulled for saying how it is mate

im a good shot(with a scope on) but im not a great shot i miss just like the rest of us

and if i miss i say i miss

there are a lot who don't if i wound i say i wound i don't like to but that's me we don't all kill with one shot scope,d up or not

and my hats off to underdog for keeping in with open site rifles may be we all should take a leaf out of his book and try this proper old school shooting

So there is the challenge lads get that old rifle that is cover,d in dust out and start plinking away

lets see just how good you lot really are with an open site rifle

or do you not want us to see because your all top shots with a scope fitted

and it may damage your reputation as a marksman

i for one am not a marksman

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 5

I grew up learning to shoot accurately on open-sighted Webley air rifles, because a scope was an unaffordable dream when I was a keen young lad like Little Hunter. And the ones that eventually became available were still not that great. So open sight shooting was how I got into the sport. I can still refit the open sight unit on my HW77 .22 and can still hit reasonable, tight groups at 25 metres. But, nowadays, my eyesight is not quite as sharp as what it once was and I keep more to scopes now.

I doubt I would take a risk on shooting a live animal like a rabbit with an open-sighted rifle now.

• Like 2

Open sights and a bayonet .. its the future.

Like most had the springers in years gone by. My eyesight is bad. Open sight aren't an option for me, not that l'd go that route even if l had 20/20

That said a TX200 / Prosport / HW97 appeal to me, with a nice scope.

Edited by hoggysreels
  • Like 4

Funny this is posted today, I have , as of yesterday, set up my HW95 with open sights, it`s fun and seems more realistic in action. Only was shooting out to 23 yards on a 1.5 " spinner and wasn`t missing. I still need binoculars to see how I`m doing on paper though.

• Like 1