Just A Thought

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keeping ourselves ignorant doesn't help the dogs. There's plenty info. freely available that we don't need to rely on rumour or old habits.   Not as entertaining as reading THL but it's worth a look

Antibiotics don't work on the dog, they don't become less affective the more times a dog has them. They've no real relationship with the dog.   Antibiotics interact with bacteria only.   And it's

Exactly, no one's advocating using antibiotics willy nilly, with experience and with the correct vet behind you you'll know when and where to use it. I'm very lucky to have an understanding vet who

Posted Images

Rob284 When i take my terriers to my vet the FIRST thing he does is jab them with penicillin, my vet lives in the area I do a lot of digging in so I call into his house if he's in and get my dogs seen to there and then.

By your reckoning should I wait until my terriers are stinking rotten before i use antibiotics ? Don't be under any illusions terriers that play rough in filth will get infections regardless of your cleaning. If it's a case of a few bumps and knocks they'll be fine but when they need it why wait.

Rob284 When i take my terriers to my vet the FIRST thing he does is jab them with penicillin, my vet lives in the area I do a lot of digging in so I call into his house if he's in and get my dogs seen to there and then.

By your reckoning should I wait until my terriers are stinking rotten before i use antibiotics ? Don't be under any illusions terriers that play rough in filth will get infections regardless of your cleaning. If it's a case of a few bumps and knocks they'll be fine but when they need it why wait.

I don't aggree with that statement, not what antibiotics are for. You don't go to the doctors every time you have a cold, just IN CASE you get a chest infection. That's why we are running out of effective antibiotics

Doesn't antibiotic have to be kept at a correct temperature and also against the law to administer unless you are a vet ??

It does not have to be in a liquid form you can use a antibiotic in tablet form which can be obtained from a vet......next question,lol.

LOL you must have a sick dog to take to the vet in the first place to obtain said antibiotics. The vet I use said she likes a terrier to be a terrier she is a shooting woman who understands the need for pest control

Not the vet i use.

• Like 2

Some really good valid points on two sides of the argument. If you have a hard dog that mixes I would certainly inject regularly, as for effectiveness after a long period of use that is another cause for concern. In agriculture animals going into the food chain have been inoculated for prevention rather than cure!! So IMHO yes I would inject to be safe rather than sorry ATB

Its not a question of money. Its a question of responsibility. If the dog needs antibiotics, it would be ill treatment not to seek them. But to use as a preventative measure sounds like irresponsible use of them only making your dog less responsive when it does actually need them.

Rob i have seen and had dogs that as i thought did not look or seem to need a jab after a dig[few bites on the muzzle nothing to worry about] so good wash with some sort of antiseptic wash,i use betadine and all is well only to go out to the kennell next morning to find the same terrier that you thought was fine with a head like a bucket its that swolen so now i dont leave anything for granted,jab the dog job done,also there is a range of different antibiotics that can be got so not using the same thing all the time.

• Like 3

Exactly, no one's advocating using antibiotics willy nilly, with experience and with the correct vet behind you you'll know when and where to use it.

I'm very lucky to have an understanding vet who lives close to a lot of my digging and it's a simple matter of a phone call to nip in and get my terriers looked at. If it was as FM says a few scratches and scrapes I would simply clean them up with hibi scrub.

• Like 4

Antibiotics don't work on the dog, they don't become less affective the more times a dog has them. They've no real relationship with the dog.

Antibiotics interact with bacteria only.

And it's is an interaction, ineffective AB's treatment plays into the hands of the infection.

The danger is giving the wrong antibiotic, the wrong dose, for the wrong duration.

• Like 4

It's a good idea, no doubt. Dug with a chap last year who had a large bag that carried his tools, first aid , lunch and even a spare coat thrown in and it was handy.

i have seen a few lads use decoy bags to carry there gear to digs

A bad choice of topic on an open forum imo

agreed

I disagree, dog men should educate themselves on the legalities of the use of antibiotics, if I can save one lad the hassle of a court appearance and the confiscation of his dogs then it's worth saying.

• Like 3