Carp Fishing Baits?

Cubed luncheon meat covered in curry powder and a tiny bit of chili powder. Worked wonders for me. Corn is overused.

I reckon they'd go for things like pond skaters but I've no idea how you're gunna feed those in hah

Corn is over used, Care to explain that? :hmm:

It's pretty much the go to natural bait.

Yes, and it is very, very successful. So how is it over used?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you boil maize with less water than is normal and keep topping up with hot water every now and then so the maize is barely covered you end up with a sticky mixture. Then don't drain all the water o

Corn over hemp never fails , one plastic , one real . Criticality balanced Atb

Carp are like pigeons, if you find something they will eat and you can put in front of them in enough quantity to really get them at it then they will eat the lot. That's as complicated as carp bait

Posted Images

Cornsteep licker might be spelt wrong but it's like fishing with dynamite use neat in a place bag add some of what ever you have on your hook or hair not a lot just a couple of baits and off you go

If you boil maize with less water than is normal and keep topping up with hot water every now and then so the maize is barely covered you end up with a sticky mixture. Then don't drain all the water off as usual, but stir in some cornflour which is processed maize starch, or custard powder which is cornflour with a vanilla flavouring, or hot chocolate powder, while the mix is still hot. Keep adding the cornflour or whatever until it has absorbed the moisture from the maize mix. Stir it in well then let it cool until it you are able to handle it. Form it into balls suitable for catapulting out or putting in a spod / spomb. Then let the balls cool fully.

What you end up with is a ball of maize contained inside a skin of starch made from the corn liquor. The balls stay intact while ever they are dry, but in water quickly dissolve. You can add flavouring to the mix before moulding the balls, but you don't need to really. These are made with hot chocolate powder and have some hemp seeds in too............

2015-09-03%2017.00.29_zpsq9t4ajja.jpg

I'm buying milled maize at less than 50p per kilo, whole maize is slightly cheaper and the hot chocolate powder is three quid for enough to last all season. Freeze a couple of dozen at a time in bags and they are ready to go whenever you are.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 5

Cubed luncheon meat covered in curry powder and a tiny bit of chili powder. Worked wonders for me. Corn is overused.

I reckon they'd go for things like pond skaters but I've no idea how you're gunna feed those in hah

Depends where you're fishing I guess. The places I've frequented over the last few years you'd be hard pressed to catch even a stockie on Corn. They seem wise to it. We have to be experimental and think outside the box. Just a personal observation and opinion, I do believe I'm entitled to share :)

Depends where you're fishing I guess. The places I've frequented over the last few years you'd be hard pressed to catch even a stockie on Corn. They seem wise to it. We have to be experimental and think outside the box. Just a personal observation and opinion, I do believe I'm entitled to share :)

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. And by virtue of this being a forum I am entitled to question or challenge it. I doubt very much whether you would not be able to catch any carp on corn on any water. The fact that so many people use it is because it is so universally successful. Anglers don't slavishly continue to use a bait that doesn't work.Think about it.

I also have the opinion that nobody would be able to truly make a remark such as yours simply because you can only speak from your personal experience, not the rest of the carp fishing world. It is one of those opinions that count for nothing.

There are dikes round here with wild carp in they have been fished for for years using corn and still take it

Exactly. If you put a few grains of maize or sweetcorn out in any water wild fish will almost immediately take them. I've seen carp to around 10lb beach themselves to get at spilled maize from duck feeders. If you have a heavily fished commie the fish might wise up to certain baits, and corn is no different. But they are the exception, not the rule and you only need to change the colour or flavour the corn to overcome their reluctance to take it.

• Like 1

On waters that got hammered by corn, it did blow, but dying it red, restored catch rates

Moving on, just back from me suppliers...off to France next month, 20KG Pigeon Conditioner, 20KG Cut Maize, 20KG Pellet, and 20KG of Hemp, just need to order the 3 Gallon of Maggot's and i will be sorted :D

Corn , maize , tigers or brazils over hemp will catch plenty of carp . Dynamite are doing hemp and snails in tins aswell and if you get the specimen one you can use the snail as an hookbait

Maize is a staple, id use tigers more if I could get them reasonable local as ive done well in the past on it. For baiting up used pigeon conditioner, but the chub and bream probably eat most of it.

Ive got a load of tree chippings slowly composting, full of rose chaffers, gonna give them a whirl I think. Theirs enough of them to add to pre-baiting too.

Hook full of maggots for cruising fish, anyone use maggots hooks?

I've used a maggot clip tied to the hair (sort of round safety pin type effort) with some success on carp chub and barbel-before that we used to super glue the maggots by the head to a 10mm cork ball,madusa rig?I think it's called,few company's do a circle hook for maggot-guru,Korda. Atb dc Edited by Daniel cain

You can buy chopped or whole maize or pigeon conditioner in 5kg bags in the supermarkets at around 60 cents a kilo and large 20kg bags in garden centres such as Gamm Vert. The large bags work out much cheaper per kilo. Gamm Vert also do 20kg sacks of hemp seeds and you can get crushed hemp at any Decathlon store. It is worth getting some Frolicks dog biscuits too IMO. Many of the French carp anglers on the two large lakes near me are using Frolicks, and you can stack 6 to 10 on one of those Fox dead bait pop-up spikes for the catfish.

Corn , maize , tigers or brazils over hemp will catch plenty of carp . Dynamite are doing hemp and snails in tins aswell and if you get the specimen one you can use the snail as an hookbait

Maize is a staple, id use tigers more if I could get them reasonable local as ive done well in the past on it. For baiting up used pigeon conditioner, but the chub and bream probably eat most of it.

Ive got a load of tree chippings slowly composting, full of rose chaffers, gonna give them a whirl I think. Theirs enough of them to add to pre-baiting too.

I used to use redband pigeon conditioner , it had a whiff off aniseed about it and it did alright with tigers over the top . Also used groats alot aswell in the spod mix but the place where i got it from only does hemp now so ive not used it for a while . Only used to get bream if using boilies or fake corn on the hair , never had one on tigers. Anyone had any luck with lupins or chick peas

have you tried bamfords at leyland neil might be worth a look and not to far from you either

• Like 1

I used to use redband pigeon conditioner , it had a whiff off aniseed about it and it did alright with tigers over the top . Also used groats alot aswell in the spod mix but the place where i got it from only does hemp now so ive not used it for a while . Only used to get bream if using boilies or fake corn on the hair , never had one on tigers. Anyone had any luck with lupins or chick peas

have you tried bamfords at leyland neil might be worth a look and not to far from you either

Thanks . I fish a place in leyland so ill have a look when im over again in a couple of weeks