Question For The Experienced...

So, I'm fairly new to lurchers and longdogs but I have some to this question. For someone who has the idea of wanting a lurcher that is big enough to handle most game and styles of hunting, would an old pro choose a first cross collie lurcher or a 3/4 bred collie lurcher?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Dan McDonough

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good reading. Truth is, Duce (sire tothe3/4's) has some bull in him and it's plenty enough for me. I take whatever comes and can be running a coyote one minute and rabbits the next. I'm just trying to

Some lads have mentioned having Bull in the mix, imho if the "right" Greyhound is used the offspring should have enough gut and fire in the belly for any job. A good greyhound fears nothing.

I'm getting the impression that most 3/4 crosses ARE nearly as smart as the 1/2 crosses. I hope I'm reading that right. It would be nice if that were the case. If I'm not feeling the brains with this

Either or would suffice imo,I'd personally get one from proven working parents so not exactly a 1st cross but a 2nd or 3rd generation cross or in layman's term a collie x grey X collie x grey,still a collie/ grey but 2nd generation or even tenth generation lol as long as they are all worked & tested somewhat..good luck & enjoy what lays ahead buddy

• Like 3

a 1/4 colliex 3/4 lurcher, would fit the bill for most quarry, it hasnt got to be over clever to pick a rabbit up, or tackle a fox , or deer , just bit of guts and it will get that from running dog= greyhound / lurcher :thumbs:

• Like 1

As some of you know we don't have very any lurchers in the USA. What few there are are spread out far and wide and most are unknown. Right now I may be the only person in the entire country that has lurchers for sale. If I don't make it then it's not really there. In light of the scarcity of lurchers to choose from I can't sit back and rely on others assessments of the parents and other ancestors. I've worked and evaluated all of the ancestors myself and picked out the cream of the crop. A few of you have read the little bit I've posted about the stag x border collie lurchers I've made over the past few years and the 3/4 bred litter is out of the ingredients I have here.

I'm mostly wondering about the general difference between the smarts of the first crosses and the 3/4 crosses. I'm wondering how much intelligence is lost in the second cross.

I'm not just banging around with these dogs. I ask them to learn some pretty complex things.

Have you ever looked on Vargys coyote board. Pretty much the biggest outlet for saleing and buying working lurchers and long dogs in the US.

Most of which are bred for running down and killing coyotes.

Few of us here in the US use lurchers for boar also. Slightly different dog than that of the coyote guys.

The Hawaiians run a lot of lurchers for pigs but they are different kind than the few of us that catch pigs similar to the Aussie style. The two different styles require different kind of lurchers.

• Like 1

As some of you know we don't have very any lurchers in the USA. What few there are are spread out far and wide and most are unknown. Right now I may be the only person in the entire country that has lurchers for sale. If I don't make it then it's not really there. In light of the scarcity of lurchers to choose from I can't sit back and rely on others assessments of the parents and other ancestors. I've worked and evaluated all of the ancestors myself and picked out the cream of the crop. A few of you have read the little bit I've posted about the stag x border collie lurchers I've made over the past few years and the 3/4 bred litter is out of the ingredients I have here.

I'm mostly wondering about the general difference between the smarts of the first crosses and the 3/4 crosses. I'm wondering how much intelligence is lost in the second cross.

I'm not just banging around with these dogs. I ask them to learn some pretty complex things.

well dan, having had 3 collie x greys before = 2 1xs , and a 3/8 c 5/8 grey i know fair bit about them. my mate had 1/4 collie = bearded collie x border collie x 3/4 greyhound.Now this dog had plenty of brains, not much difference to the 1xs , bit more faster and plenty of guts for killing foxes which it did , and being honest it wasn't as sensitive like my 1xs are and were, it was one of the reasons i went for a 1x gsd x grey, as there more fire in there belly than you average collie x grey, my dog now Buck very full on type dog when hunting, will tackle whats in front of him . :yes: regards your quarry yotes , i think you need more stag in the mix or greyhound than collie to handle teeth , or drop of pit in the mix.And if you could get well bred gsd, they deff put guts in any running dog line :thumbs::yes:

• Like 2

If you have 1/2 cross and 3/4 cross, work both alongside each other and see what works best for you. As a lack of new blood is an issue, cross the 1/2x with the 3/4 and be prepared to cull hard. All the best collie x dogs I've known have been closely bred and well tested