Meat .?

My parents have a small holding, and when I was growing up i'd play for hours with the goat kids and pet lambs. I'd cry my eyes out when the went to slaughter and called my dad everything I could think of for taking them. I'd still tuck in when they came home in kit form! These days for me at least, I'd rather eat something that's had a field to run in than an intensively reared pork chop or a kfc chicken.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think, as we get older that we are more aware of life and death and we tend to ponder these things more. The closer to death we come, the more we value life.

I wish most of what my dogs catch be they the lurcher or terriers could get up and run off afterwards,execpt for the meat the game can bring i do hate just putting things on the muck heap.I've said t

This hunting, killing business,.. is an entirely personal thing....   Back in the day,..I wanted to catch, kill and carry,..everything,.no surrender,.no prisoners   Now,...unless critters are bei

Sheep pigs and cattle have done well out of humans they are on every continent except Antarctica.

If we didn't use them they wouldn't exist as they are. They'd probably be extinct.

That's a very good point

+2 true roy :thumbs:

Sure this should be in the general talk

yeh in a way :thumbs: , but suppose because ive killed things for 30 years, just wanted to know if anybody ever felt like that , still like meat so nothing changed .!!

I wish most of what my dogs catch be they the lurcher or terriers could get up and run off afterwards,execpt for the meat the game can bring i do hate just putting things on the muck heap.I've said the same to a few folk and have had a strange stare or two back for it but if my dogs were softer mouthed i would let most of what they catch go again,but they ain't and i wonder what the law says on rereleasing things after they have been caught up with as i bet it is sailing close to the wind of the law if you do :hmm: .Yeah i am a bit of a hippy and i don't care :tongue2: as hunting it ain't about killing it to me :victory: ..

• Like 8

Sure this should be in the general talk

yeh in a way :thumbs: , but suppose because ive killed things for 30 years, just wanted to know if anybody ever felt like that , still like meat so nothing changed .!!

I wish most of what my dogs catch be they the lurcher or terriers could get up and run off afterwards,execpt for the meat the game can bring i do hate just putting things on the muck heap.I've said the same to a few folk and have had a strange stare or two back for it but if my dogs were softer mouthed i would let most of what they catch go again,but they ain't and i wonder what the law says on rereleasing things after they have been caught up with as i bet it is sailing close to the wind of the law if you do :hmm: .Yeah i am a bit of a hippy and i don't care :tongue2: as hunting it ain't about killing it to me :victory: ..

most of my stuff as been edible over the years, apart from few charlies , and nice rabbit or venison hot pot goes down well :thumbs: and dont like killing stuff just for the sake of it. Dogs are strange as well Buck my big dog will will bring back a rabbit alive, you could put it down and it would run off, but a fox or cat he would wreak them if he bumped into one :yes: ,maybe iam just getting soft in my old age, been hunting with dogs 30 years now , funny thing t he wife said to day do want a lamb or chicken dinner today, i said fancy nice lamb dinner lol

• Like 2

thought it was only human , to be honest , let's face it how many lads felt abit of guilt when first taking an animal? I did.

I don't now, as it's just normal now, but I don't think it's anything wrong with what you said Ray,

Think if more people were honest with themselves they would also find the same.

Nothing to do with age at all, just about understanding.

You could look at it like the same reason everyone (except for a few) give wildlife to breed and have a break during the warmer months out of respect. I like seeing Cubs,young rabbits, leverets, fawns etc , killing them don't enter my mind unless Iv been asked by farm to go have a look. But come winter that's all I want to do is hunt em.

You like looking at newborn lambs playing, but come the time it's on your plate u have no worries in scoffing it.

Waffled on abit there lol atb

• Like 1

thought it was only human , to be honest , let's face it how many lads felt abit of guilt when first taking an animal? I did.

I don't now, as it's just normal now, but I don't think it's anything wrong with what you said Ray,

Think if more people were honest with themselves they would also find the same.

Nothing to do with age at all, just about understanding.

You could look at it like the same reason everyone (except for a few) give wildlife to breed and have a break during the warmer months out of respect. I like seeing Cubs,young rabbits, leverets, fawns etc , killing them don't enter my mind unless Iv been asked by farm to go have a look. But come winter that's all I want to do is hunt em.

You like looking at newborn lambs playing, but come the time it's on your plate u have no worries in scoffing it.

Waffled on abit there lol atb

spot on :thumbs:

over here were not to bad .ie.as carrying game home in the car,see a few vids of them english lads just slinging hares into the ditch after a good course awful waste imo.

I've seen the same thing myself on the dvd's, the few lads I know would'nt dream of wasting any edible quarry, but with the chance of getting cars crushed, dogs confiscated etc, I can see how some lads might avoid coming home with their catch, especially some that like to walk a certain desert like area regularly

Start farming sheep and you will soon forget about that by the time youve lambed them reared them and fattened them your usualy pretty glad to see the back of them.

This is just the begining.

E055027F-F10E-41E3-BF70-9681E3FD9E7E_zps

Seem to recognise that land in the background blackdog is near Me**mer**

I think, as we get older that we are more aware of life and death and we tend to ponder these things more. The closer to death we come, the more we value life.

I got hit by a van whilst on my bike a few years back, ended up in hospital, bashed up, a minor stroke and it gave me PTS. The NHS provided me with a psychotherapist to help; I'd never hunted prior to that but I remember telling her that i felt the need to kill something and eat it, i'm not sure she really understood it but that's when i started fishing and a few years later bought my first dog which i started rabbiting with. There was a point at the beginning where we were night fishing and I'd caught a wrasse, it must have been on the line for a while, i unhooked it and tried to set it on it's way but it was too far gone so i put it out of it's misery; the thing that made me think long and hard about it was after hitting it with the priest all those beautiful colours just faded away.

Some people said it was just a chemical reaction happening but in my head i'd just snuffed out that fish's life force and it had gone elsewhere, somewhere... I say a little prayer each time I kill something now, I don't enjoy doing it but certainly consider it a great responsibility, a privilege and when the chance arises, an honor to eat what i've caught. It certainly beats buying some intensively farmed poor creature.

• Like 3

:hmm:This hunting, killing business,.. is an entirely personal thing....

Back in the day,..I wanted to catch, kill and carry,..everything,.no surrender,.no prisoners :laugh:

Now,...unless critters are being removed on a professional basis, (for the coin),..I don't feel the need to keep on, keepin on...In fact,..I derive equal enjoyment, from watching other keen hunters...coursing and catching their chosen quarry....I suppose it would be easy to say that such an attitude necessarily comes with age,..but,.. I don't believe it is quite as,. cut and dry as that....

Like I say,.it is a personal decision, eating meat and killing animals...real personal... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

I think for most of us who hunt, particularly with dogs, the killing is perhaps the worst thing.

The enjoyment from watching the dogs work is the biggest pleasure I get, the final act is a real anti climax in a way, many times I've been pleased to see an animal escape when they put up a good performance.

Someone said to me once he wished the dog could tag the hare after a good course, just pat it's back and that would equal the catching lol

But what I do catch is used and never wasted... And that to me is equally as important.

• Like 3