Boxing At The Weekend...

11 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Do you know what cutting weight/tapering off actually entails mate,done correctly it takes precision planning you cant just pop on the scales a week out and say  " oh shit im a bit heavy i think i,ll do a weight cut "...again it comes back to the art of knowing a fighters best weight one of the best i ever saw was the old trainer Denny Mancini he could just look at a lads normal walking around weight and know his best fighting weight to the pound.

Even same day weigh ins like in the amateurs where you fight maybe 4 - 6 hours after weigh in still allows for plenty of rehydration,the body can rehydrate around 1 litre of water per hour which is 1 kg of weight so your still looking at a big disparity.....ive still never heard one good argument against fighters weighing in,in the ring before a fight.

Of course I know what it entails, you would still have fighters struggling to make weight and having to dry themselves out to cut weight at the last moments before the weigh-in. To do so straight before a bout leaving them no time to hydrate themselves at all is opening a very dangerous can of worms. They introduced the 24 hour weigh-in's for the safety of the fighters. 

At least reverting back to same day weigh-in at least enables them to hydrate themselves somewhat but prevents them from being as big in the ring as they are with the current system. 

Edited by Jobi

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Just got back from my lads first fight.  Think I was more nervous than him!

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Of course I know what it entails, you would still have fighters struggling to make weight and having to dry themselves out to cut weight at the last moments before the weigh-in. To do so straight before a bout leaving them no time to hydrate themselves at all is opening a very dangerous can of worms. They introduced the 24 hour weigh-in's for the safety of the fighters. 

At least reverting back to same day weigh-in at least enables them to hydrate themselves somewhat but prevents them from being as big in the ring as they are with the current system. 

Im not sure you really understand what drying out is mate....the first process to drying out is to get as much water on board as humanly possible how can you do that " at the last minute "......you are missing the point of weighing in minutes before a fight,the whole point in it is so there cannot be a " rehydrating time "......no fighter is going into the ring dehydrated so weighing in directly before a fight forces the fighter to weigh it as his best weight for physical performance.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Im not sure you really understand what drying out is mate....the first process to drying out is to get as much water on board as humanly possible how can you do that " at the last minute "......you are missing the point of weighing in minutes before a fight,the whole point in it is so there cannot be a " rehydrating time "......no fighter is going into the ring dehydrated so weighing in directly before a fight forces the fighter to weigh it as his best weight for physical performance.

I do, by the final day they are basically drinking nothing after a process of hydration and weaning off. You say that a fighter won't dehydrate themselves to make weight, putting that much pressure on them knowing if they fail and the bout will be called off would risk the chance of doing just that. 

Edited by Jobi
On 06/09/2019 at 09:59, Jobi said:

He just needs to keep it simple, keep it long with the jab and right hand. Ruiz has very fast hands but his feet are in quicksand. 

Taking a look at his current condition I'd have a guess that's exactly the game plan. He's looking nice and lean. I can see him keeping on his toes and popping out the Jab. Time will tell. He didn't look right from the get go in the first fight, hopefully that doesn't play on his mind to much....

Yokel.

• Like 1
Just now, Rusty_terrier said:

only the final day that they are drinking nothing still having a good few litres a day the days running upto the weigh ins.

Its salt and carbs that are cut out the week if the weigh ins with plenty water intake then the day  before the weigh I'm drink f**k all. 

Same day weigh ins would be beneficial as folk wouldnt want to risk going in weak due to no food etc 

Yes read above, they go through a process of hydration and dehydration. See above about risk taking. 

1 minute ago, Rusty_terrier said:

What you mean when youbsay weaning off ?

Also I havent read the last few pages are you for or against same day weigh in ?

Slowly lowering their water intake until by the last day they are drinking nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

What you mean when youbsay weaning off ?

Also I havent read the last few pages are you for or against same day weigh in ?

I'm for same day weigh-in but straight before the bout just wouldn't work. 

15 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

For somebody says weighing in on the friday they probably still be drinking 3 litres or more on the wednesday. 

Training that week with pretty much no carbs and salt and loads of water to help flush you out then 24 hours before weigh in just stop drinking.  Not weaning off it. Only a day without water.

I reckon weigh ins a few hours before a fight be good folk wouldnt go in starved and weak and if they did they would pay for it . Would meannfolk would just be at a more natural fitter weight they are still strong at. 

Dropping weight fast is all about manipulating your water and sodium levels.

For a fighter who wants to cut weight quickly and safely, here’s how much water he would consume in the 5 days leading up to his weigh-in:

Sunday – 2 gallons
Monday – 1 gallon
Tuesday – 1 gallon
Wednesday – .5 gallons
Thursday – .25 gallons
Friday – No water till after weigh-in at 5PM.

As you can see, the amount of water starts high with two gallons and decreases with each day till he’s drinking hardly any water on Thursday and Friday.

This is to ensure their body gets into “flushing mode.”

By drinking lots of water early on, the fighter’s body will down-regulate aldosterone, a hormone that acts to conserve sodium and secrete potassium.

And when he suddenly reduces the amount of water he drinks in the middle and end of the week, his body will still be in flushing mode, meaning he’ll hit the bathroom to pee a lot even though he’s hardly drinking any water.

What happens when you excrete more fluid than you take in? Bingo! Rapid weight loss

1 minute ago, maxhardcore said:

No I are you saying on the Thursday drink 200 pints of water ?

25 gallon ?

Is that not dangerous in itself ?

?????

0.25 gallon Max. 

Not all drink the same but the principle is the same, drink a lot of water at the start of the week and wean yourself off until by the final day you are drinking nothing. 

• Haha 1

Nigel Benn is making a comeback at the age of 55, I believe it's against a retired ex champion. I've got suspicions it might be RJJ in a freak show, going through a midlife crisis IMO. 

Edited by Jobi
16 hours ago, Jobi said:

Nigel Benn is making a comeback at the age of 55, I believe it's against a retired ex champion. I've got suspicions it might be RJJ in a freak show, going through a midlife crisis IMO. 

Sad that is, Ben was and still is one of my all time favs, loved his all or nothing shit or bust approach, if that’s true I would imaging another Eubanks fight would be a bit of a money spinner, but they will probably need to have one minute rounds and 3 minute breaks ✌️

On 07/09/2019 at 14:53, Jobi said:

I do, by the final day they are basically drinking nothing after a process of hydration and weaning off. You say that a fighter won't dehydrate themselves to make weight, putting that much pressure on them knowing if they fail and the bout will be called off would risk the chance of doing just that. 

Not if he wants to survive more than a minute of the first round it wont.....have you ever done a weight cut ?.....your body is totally spent of energy walking onto the scales is hard work,the reason you see fighters instantly take a drink is because they are in some cases literally about to pass out.

If you want fighters fighting at their natural weight you have to take away the reason to dehydrate the body.....which weighing in as close to fight time as possible does.....simple.

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Not if he wants to survive more than a minute of the first round it wont.....have you ever done a weight cut ?.....your body is totally spent of energy walking onto the scales is hard work,the reason you see fighters instantly take a drink is because they are in some cases literally about to pass out.

If you want fighters fighting at their natural weight you have to take away the reason to dehydrate the body.....which weighing in as close to fight time as possible does.....simple.

So what will happen then if a fighter thinks he's going to miss weight, he will pull out at the last minute and the show will be ruined. The fans won't have it and it would be a massive cluster f**k for the sport at the end of the day. 

I'm all for same day weigh-in's, it's by far the best compromise let's be realistic.