What's with this obsession to 'set-up' photos to make stuff look even bigger? That kid is at least 6ft behind the gator but pictured to make it look like he's touching it from beneath. It's a fecking impressive beast! No need to serve a helping of bullshit with it.

You'd not want to find the bugger in ya swimming pool any way!

In this day and age, it's a wonder they couldn't have tried to trap it someway. Yes all fair if it's killing cattle so needed dealt with BUT with the amount of money that mans getting from hunters shooting them I'm sure he really misses the odd cow or 10 :icon_eek:

The man's a hunting outfitter, he earns his living from taking paying sportsman out hunting. I doubt he'd of left such a valuable trophy to 'swim free' even if he hadn't suspected it was a problem animal. The American model of hunting, conservation and wildlife management that this is part of is exceptional and the rest of the world would do well to take note and study it.

Is it really any greater shame for such a beast to be killed than a no less healthy but smaller animal? Killing it won't harm the genetic strength of the gator population at all, a giant isn't by necessarily good or bad for a species despite the popular belief that big/strong is somehow good for evolution/genetic strength.

I also think it's fantastic how in the US there is such an appreciation for meat donated by hunters to society's more hard up.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Is it really any greater shame for such a beast to be killed than a no less healthy but smaller animal? Killing it won't harm the genetic strength of the gator population at all, a giant isn't by any means good or bad for a species despite the popular belief that big/strong is somehow good for evolution/genetic strength.

You could argue that the big alligators prey on the small alligators making the species self regulating in population numbers and less need for human interventions making the big alligators more valuable in ecological terms.
  • Like 1

Is it really any greater shame for such a beast to be killed than a no less healthy but smaller animal? Killing it won't harm the genetic strength of the gator population at all, a giant isn't by any means good or bad for a species despite the popular belief that big/strong is somehow good for evolution/genetic strength.

You could argue that the big alligators prey on the small alligators making the species self regulating in population numbers and less need for human interventions making the big alligators more valuable in ecological terms.

You could, the less we interfere full stop the better in all probability. But I'm not really into the idea of separating the human race from the natural world, lol. And after all I am/we are hunters, I have a fascination with the natural world and feel contented when part of it, within reason, lol.

I don't think there is strictly a need to regulate populations of truly wild animals like you will find in parts of the US. The Florida/Louisiana gators might need regulation to prevent damage to human interests, I'm not sure, but this isn't really about that, it's about the effects of hunting, regardless of the reason. The yanks are pretty big on taking big specimens, often passing up on younger, less impressive specimens. There's an attitude of favoring very mature, impressive trophies over younger animals and to be honest it has it's virtues so long as it's moderated. An old mature animal has spent many years passing on it's genetics and very often taken all that time to grow to such impressive size, it's not like you're killing a genetically impressive animal that hasn't had time to influence the population with it's genetics. Is there also not an argument to be had that sperm from older animals is 'poorer'?

As I said, moderation in killing any particular variety of a population is important to minimise the influence that human hunting will have on a population through adaptation. If we only ever shoot rare specimens, melanistic for example, then that environmental pressure will soon force those genes out of the population. With this in mind I really do view the US model as great and I think it's a shame to knock something that works to the benefit of quarry and hunters simply because of our sentiment for big specimens.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2