One For The Builders

Or get a mini mix of 4 cube !

It's not really cost effective to mix anything more than a cubic metre by hand, I have costed it both ways thousands of times, it's my job, ready mix all day long, depends on your area what they charge, expect anything from £70 a cube to £120.

4 inch (100mm) is enough for a double garage, PROVIDING the sub base is sound, and well compacted on good solid up disturbed ground, no made up ground, bust be a good bearing strata 100mm hardcore and 100mm Connie, job done, I love garage bases, knock them out every day.

If you decide to mix by hand you must remember, 1 cube of Connie is 2.4 tonnes of gravel, sand, cement and water.

If your mixing by hand I would make it 150mm of Connie as you won't get as good a mix as ready mixed

Nice one mate, its very true,I argue all the time with builders who think mixing by handx cheaper.and they think 10 cubic of concrete they will need ten ton of ballast...laugh my bollox off.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's like most things in the building game, the main structure relies on a good strong base, if it was mine, after digging out the "said" area, to the required depth, and deeper around the edges, and

Do the base to full spec, makes it easier to build an extra bedroom on top if you want.   Cheers, D.

Reinforced bar or mesh is not needed unless its going to be carrying loads of weight .. Minimum id do the concrete would be 4" but 6" would be better

it's like most things in the building game, the main structure relies on a good strong base, if it was mine, after digging out the "said" area, to the required depth, and deeper around the edges, and shuttered it up, at this time i would put the electric and water ducting in ready, i would put 5-6 inches of crushed concrete down as a good base, after wacker plating it down, i would blind it over with sand to cover the sharp edges which are poking up, then put your polythene membrane over the sand to stop the damp coming up through, the sand is there to stop the crusted concrete puncturing the polythene, as for the concrete, i would put 4-6 inches in, with steel mesh, i know this is over kill for your needs, but i always tend to beef things up more than i need, for piece of mind,

there's nothing worse than not planning for heavy items in the future, so before anyone starts on about, this would hold up a brick garage with a cut and pitched tiled roof......i know it will......but that's just the way i do things,

• Like 2

Type the size of your base in this link and it will tell you how much you need mate http://www.easymixconcrete.com/concrete-calculator/?origin=sitelink-m-cc&gclid=COOhjtHy_MsCFckaGwod6TQMSg

I paid around £100 a cubic metre pal

Mine was 21 cubic meters! So at that price £2100! I paid two builders with an electric cement mixer £800!
That's not right somewhere, 21 cubic metres of c20 general purpose concrete would need 6720 kg's of cement, that's 269 25kg bags, at my rock bottom buy in bulk price that's £873.60p alone ! Either the calculations were out or all the gear was nicked !

Are you sure you mean 21 cubic metres, or 21 square metres ? 21 cubic metres is a big slab, approx 14 metres by 10 metres at 150mm thick or 46 foot x 32 foot

For the record, 21 cubic metres of c20 would need

6720kg's cement

13250 kg's sand

24570kg's gravel

And just over 6000 litres of water depending on what slump you wanted

If I was buying the materials alone at my buy in price that would be £2670 before I had paid for any water, a mixer or the labour needed to mix it, never mind the waste I would need to dispose of from all that packaging.

The labour bill for two men for a day would be close to £360 at today's prices

So a total of £3030

Or if I bought the materials loose and delivered on 2 8 wheeler lorries, I would still be looking at £1613.60 plus vat, and I ain't even put a bloke on site yet !

At my current price I can have ready mixed delivered in those quantities for £1428, now you tell me where it makes sense to mix that by hand.

If my blokes were sat on arses with nowt to do I would make them mix it by hand to keep them busy, but we have so much work on that loosing two men for a day mixing it by hand would likely cost me £600-£800 in lost work.

Edited by Rabid

Am going to build a double concrete section garage soonish,, looking for advice on making a concrete base that will be good enough for the job, and cheap as possible...

how deep should it be, will rebar be needed?

cheers

you could get spot mix-in they are a bit dearer per cube but barrow it in for you. also you only pay for the exact amount you use. i think they carry up to 11 cube. :thumbs: we use them for the smaller jobs for convenience :yes:

• Like 1

Type the size of your base in this link and it will tell you how much you need mate http://www.easymixconcrete.com/concrete-calculator/?origin=sitelink-m-cc&gclid=COOhjtHy_MsCFckaGwod6TQMSg

I paid around £100 a cubic metre pal

Mine was 21 cubic meters! So at that price £2100! I paid two builders with an electric cement mixer £800!
That's not right somewhere, 21 cubic metres of c20 general purpose concrete would need 6720 kg's of cement, that's 269 25kg bags, at my rock bottom buy in bulk price that's £873.60p alone ! Either the calculations were out or all the gear was nicked !

Are you sure you mean 21 cubic metres, or 21 square metres ? 21 cubic metres is a big slab, approx 14 metres by 10 metres at 150mm thick or 46 foot x 32 foot

For the record, 21 cubic metres of c20 would need

6720kg's cement

13250 kg's sand

24570kg's gravel

And just over 6000 litres of water depending on what slump you wanted

If I was buying the materials alone at my buy in price that would be £2670 before I had paid for any water, a mixer or the labour needed to mix it, never mind the waste I would need to dispose of from all that packaging.

The labour bill for two men for a day would be close to £360 at today's prices

So a total of £3030

Or if I bought the materials loose and delivered on 2 8 wheeler lorries, I would still be looking at £1613.60 plus vat, and I ain't even put a bloke on site yet !

At my current price I can have ready mixed delivered in those quantities for £1428, now you tell me where it makes sense to mix that by hand.

If my blokes were sat on arses with nowt to do I would make them mix it by hand to keep them busy, but we have so much work on that loosing two men for a day mixing it by hand would likely cost me £600-£800 in lost work.

I think maybe he means square metres of Concrete? ?

Two ways of doing it ,One

would be to dig strip foundations all round ,concrete footings, block up to damp course ,(150 mm above ground leavel)

dig out floor 250 mm deep ,put in 150 rejects wacker plated down , blind over with building sand lay a DPM , and 100 mm concrete over site , you can put mesh in if using heavy jacks or machinery

Two

Dig out your base about 300 mm dip ,shutter around , put in 150 mm hard core , wacker plate , blind over with sand , lay DPM ,Lay mesh on 50 mm shoes , lay 150 mm concrete

• Like 1

while were on the subject chaps, please.

Ive got a slab to go down 4m3, now ive always poured founds, but always done slabs with a mixer, I set up my regs first etc so as I can get it good enough to tile direct, plus access on this job is a bit tricky, had to have the conveyor to pour the foundations at axtra $

Heres my question..

How many m3 of ballast for 4m3? & how many kg of dust?

I live minutes away from a granite quarry, and a few people I know have used the 0-20 for concrete, its cheap as chips compared to ballast. & im trying to keep the reins on this project now as property has dipped a fair bit where I am.

Was working with a stonemason today who says 6 to 1 mix is strong enough for the slab, (already got the steel mesh). I was going to just do a 5 to 1 as I normally do, but.. If the 0-20 is good enough could I do 1 sand, 5 0-20 and 1 dust? I say sand as ive got a good m3 left over from blockwork.

would be to dig strip foundations all round ,concrete footings, block up to damp course ,(150 mm above ground leavel)

dig out floor 250 mm deep ,put in 150 rejects wacker plated down , blind over with building sand lay a DPM , and 100 mm concrete over site , you can put mesh in if using heavy jacks or machinery

Two

Dig out your base about 300 mm dip ,shutter around , put in 150 mm hard core , wacker plate , blind over with sand , lay DPM ,Lay mesh on 50 mm shoes , lay 150 mm concrete

1st option sounds the kiddie

Two

Won't need footings for a sectional garage, that's overkill, I would only put footings in if its a brick build.

while were on the subject chaps, please.

Ive got a slab to go down 4m3, now ive always poured founds, but always done slabs with a mixer, I set up my regs first etc so as I can get it good enough to tile direct, plus access on this job is a bit tricky, had to have the conveyor to pour the foundations at axtra $

Heres my question..

How many m3 of ballast for 4m3? & how many kg of dust?

I live minutes away from a granite quarry, and a few people I know have used the 0-20 for concrete, its cheap as chips compared to ballast. & im trying to keep the reins on this project now as property has dipped a fair bit where I am.

Was working with a stonemason today who says 6 to 1 mix is strong enough for the slab, (already got the steel mesh). I was going to just do a 5 to 1 as I normally do, but.. If the 0-20 is good enough could I do 1 sand, 5 0-20 and 1 dust? I say sand as ive got a good m3 left over from blockwork.

1280 kg cement

7200 kg ballast

1200 litres water approx depending on slump

I don't know what your quarry dust is like, I would be looking at approx 2.5 ton of sand and 4.7 ton of stone, so depends how much 'fines' content is in it.

Edited by Rabid
  • Like 1

Two

Won't need footings for a sectional garage, that's overkill, I would only put footings in if its a brick build.

Not over kill at all , with that type of footing you can build a nice brick or block built garage ,with a tiled roof or a timber framed with tiles