Pup Eaten Paracetamol...

Just had a call from one of the lads that had a pup from me, he was obviously a bit distraught as his pup had eaten a pack of paracetamol overnight left out by the mother in law on the side of the work top. The pup was in the vets on a drip so it's in the best place. The vet has said that the pup's kidneys are failing but that isn't anything to do with the paracetamol and that it must be an inherent problem with the breeding, I assured him him that there are no problems with either the dog or the bitch nor any of the other pups to my knowledge, but said I'd have a look into it. First port of call was a google search which said that it could lead to kidney and liver failure not just the liver, so I rang him back and told him so...

My question is has anybody had any problems like this or heard of similar and what was the outcome? Bloody typical as the pup was the one I wanted to keep myself as it was a little cracker and I was looking forward to seeing how it came on... Any info would be great, I don't need anyone saying that the owner should have been more careful, as that much is obvious...

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering how a vet can see a pup that's just o.d. on paracetamol,can come to the conclusion that the pups kidney failure is down to an inherited problem? As any pup that has eaten a pack of the

So had a call earlier on today and by some miracle like stroke of luck, the pup is being picked up this evening. They ran more bloods on her today and they have come back good, she's howling to get ou

I wish the pup a speedy recovery, but the vet sounds like an absolute plug

It’s not an uncommon secondary effect of paracetamol poisoning The pup would need a course of medication, N-acetylcysteine, to support the liver, this is usually intravenous, so the fluids will help the kidneys, if the meds themselves directly help the kidneys is unknown. There is a dose relationship but prompt treatment is the most important thing, the longer the delay the lower the survival rate.

• Like 2

Sad that mate hope the pups sorts him self out.

My old vet thort my lurcher was a fecking weimaraner he did look like a right hillbilly tho.

Mothers in laws are the worst a right pain in the arse... well mine is !!

Edited by green dragon

One of mine eat a pack of ibuprofen took it to the vets put him on a drip for two days, he was fine. But I've always had s feeling I took the wrong dog as i found the empty pack When I got in. I just assumed it was the pup. Anyway neither died. Hope the pup pulls through ?

Edited by stevo79

Just wondering how a vet can see a pup that's just o.d. on paracetamol,can come to the conclusion that the pups kidney failure is down to an inherited problem?

As any pup that has eaten a pack of them would be in the same boat ,surely?

• Like 5