Moorhen??

Hi gent's,

Looking for some advice. I've been asked to dispatch some Moorhens at work.

I've looked it up and they're protected but I'm able to cull them fro September 1st till January 31st.

My question is as they are causing issues on the greens and fairways am I allowed to dispatch them?

I don't want to say no as it's the first time I've been asked to remove a pest (in there eyes)

Any help would be appreciated.

Atb

Your best bet is to speak to BASC to clarify if they can be regarded as vermin in this situation. I believe that geese can be treated as vermin at times when crop damage is being done but like all things that involve the law, shooting and British wildlife, it is best to get direction from those that know. I think you will have to get in writing from the golf club that they have asked for the birds to be removed and the reason why.

Phil

• Like 1

As with philpot's answer, you will need to clarify the legal position on this seriously. Golfers and Club Officials are not noted for being sage wise men of the laws that protect wildlife that happens to land or stray onto the greens and fairways. What if it turns out you cannot use an air rifle on them? There may be other methods which are only allowed to be used.

A protected species is an absolute NO-NO! Unless, they are proven to be clearly the culprits in causing notable crop damage as pests. Does a Golf club's greenery come into the same catagory as food crops? You cannot simply roll up and start culling anything until it becomes a identified pest causing notable damage. You can find a lot of advice on the net but, a word with BASC and your local Police Rural Protection unit will help.

Too late if you are found to be using an illegal method of despatching a protected species of bird, because, the club greensman asked you to. The law takes no prisoners on issues like this. So check!

Until then, explain and hold off.

• Like 1

This is from shooting UK,2016 game seasons;

Coot/Moorhen

England and Wales: Sep 1 Jan 31

Scotland: Sep 1 Jan 31

Northern Ireland: Protected

Written underneath a picture of a coot,now I don't go after these but this to me just makes it look as though it has a season,not that it's protected or under a permit or anything I'll Google some more why we wait for a more informed answer...

(Edit) this is from basc;

Coot/Moorhen Sep 1 Jan 31 Sep 1 Jan 31 Protected Protected

(Protected in northern Ireland and isle of man)

Edited by random

Interesting read looking for shooting info on moorhen,from what I've read they can be a pest to some in their habits,apparently they are territorial and chase away other birds and smash eggs they find,also they stab at ducklings and injure or kill them,as well as eating feed intended for other birds,so it sounds as if they can be quite a pest to some people,got mixed reviews as to what they taste like,some of that info was from thl,look up coot/moorhen,there's a thread on it but it's old,1998,and clearly you need up to date info.

Hi gent's,

I've looked it up and they're protected but I'm able to cull them fro September 1st till January 31st.

My question is as they are causing issues on the greens and fairways am I allowed to dispatch them?

I don't want to say no as it's the first time I've been asked to remove a pest (in there eyes)

Atb

What are they doing to cause issues on the greens and fairways. ?.

Hi gent's,

Atb

What are they doing to cause issues on the greens and fairways. ?.

Brooding the golf balls?

Hi gent's,

Just got in from work. The problem they are causing is crapping on the greens which is causing putting problems. Plus they are eating seeds that are planted around the greens and fairways where the repairs of the grass are being made. But the crap is the major problem.

I'm gonna call basc tomorrow to ask what they say and go from there.

But I've been asked to get rid of them so no matter what something will need to be done.

Atb