Any Of You Worked A Greyhound

You would never see much caught with two dogs running quarry in the Waterloo cup ?

lets see everyone's dog get given fair law on hares.

soon as they start "running cunning" they wouldn't course no more. Totally different

Edited by Somewhereyournot
  • Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I agree,..and it is downright cruelty to take a full grown canine athlete, such as an ex racer,...a jukel that has been trained, conditioned, cosseted and kept in the manner of a Spartan warrior,

It was a real shame mate as he was turning into a nice handy dog .....  

I reared a nice wee bitch and used her for the roe and hares,...she fecked em up,..and I do mean, proper fecked..   Never gave the game away and told her, that she wasn't a lurcher,..and she never

My bitch was from Jackie maginties yard she won Warter loo cup I think twice might be wrong,there not run regular enough on hare I think ??

i understood it as, as soon as they started running cunning, holding back for other dog to turn the hare etc that they wasn't courses no more?

My bitch was from Jackie maginties yard she won Warter loo cup I think twice might be wrong,there not run regular enough on hare I think ??

i understood it as, as soon as they started running cunning, holding back for other dog to turn the hare etc that they wasn't courses no more?

Yes - because by doing that they weren't scoring points, therefore very unlikely to win a course.

Yes - because by doing that they weren't scoring points, therefore very unlikely to win a course.
ye, so they can't be that daft after all lol.

So fox bolter, that's why you don't see many killed on Waterloo cup, sure you would if they were out few times a week though.

ye, so they can't be that daft after all lol.

So fox bolter, that's why you don't see many killed on Waterloo cup, sure you would if they were out few times a week though.

A greyhound that is, was :thumbs: , out a few times a week would be very useful. PRE BAN SINGLE HANDED :thumbs:

As Phil Lloyd says it can end up emotional.

There's some horrible sounds-: a baby in pain,a hare crying its last, but a greyhound howling and shrieking in pain, biting you out of fear and confusion and with limbs sticking out at unnatural angles is one of the worst. Injuries are an inevitable side of the game we love, but we can guard against them by not running dogs which, statistically, will suffer more injuries (and more serious injuries to boot) because of their breed and constitution. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I've been into greyhound racing for a long time. I've seen horrendous injuries over the years-- and that's with dogs running on sand. In the worst cases there's always a vet immediately on hand to put the animal out of its misery. You're a long way from a vet when you're lamping at three in the morning miles away from a road.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5

Bloke i first started out with as a kid had a pure grey he raised that alongside lurchers from a pup it caught everything with out injury until about the age of 5 an one night on land it had run all its life it ran head on straight into a drystone wall chasing a fox... instantly dead broke its neck

The reality is any dog can have a serious injury, but obviously some are more durable than others. If you have a speedster of a dog then you have to be sensible about where you run it and even then an ounce of luck is needed. The greys that we had and that worked were very very chase driven and not always into self preservation, I think it is this drive for the chase and the speed they hit that is usually there downfall in my eyes and not necessarily their constitution and physical make. Let's be honest their isn't a huge amount of difference between a hell of a lot of racy lurchers and a greyhound in terms of physical make up. I personally would rather a dog that has the pace needed but understand that with this comes a responsibility to perhaps be choosy as to how often and where I work the dog, for others it's more a case of a durable dog for the terrain they work. That said anytime you slip any dog or it gets a run there is an element of risk and you have to do right by the dog if things go wrong no matter how it's breed atb

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/agdyE2RjzmM. A don't think I would there's 3 and still getting a good beating

coyote ain't it? 3 dogs will take longer than 1 on the kneck IMO, but again...I wouldn't base judgement on 3 unknown greyhounds on a coyote , we don't have them and what's 3 dogs? Could be the first they have ever seen, you just don't know for certain.

Think that's why the Internet is quite bad, people know about dogs they have never seen , and make assumptions.

• Like 1

The reality is any dog can have a serious injury, but obviously some are more durable than others. If you have a speedster of a dog then you have to be sensible about where you run it and even then an ounce of luck is needed. The greys that we had and that worked were very very chase driven and not always into self preservation, I think it is this drive for the chase and the speed they hit that is usually there downfall in my eyes and not necessarily their constitution and physical make. Let's be honest their isn't a huge amount of difference between a hell of a lot of racy lurchers and a greyhound in terms of physical make up. I personally would rather a dog that has the pace needed but understand that with this comes a responsibility to perhaps be choosy as to how often and where I work the dog, for others it's more a case of a durable dog for the terrain they work. That said anytime you slip any dog or it gets a run there is an element of risk and you have to do right by the dog if things go wrong no matter how it's breed atb

That is a good, sensible post. It's a pity that many others don't/won't see it that way. :thumbs: