Good Lurcher Training Book Recommendations

With the season ending and the brighter evenings around not to far away I will start to focus my attention back to training my dogs.

I have got a Ped Whippet (12 months old) and a newly acquired Bedlington Greyhound (2.5 years old).

I have read 'The Working Whippet' by Helen Hansell and 'The Complete Lurcher' by Brian Plumber. I took a hell of a lot from the Working Whippet book but the Complete Lurcher was a frustrating read for me and i found it difficult to sift through the paragraphs of stories/opinions before I got to some decent training tips.

I get lots of satisfaction from training dogs and I'm always keen to learn new things so are there any decent suggestions?

Have a look on youtube the 3 purdeys progress vids if you have not already done so. Obedience training wise most lurcher books run through the basics a better bet would be a gundog training book in my opinion they usually give solutions to obedience training problems you may come across.

• Like 2

all the info you could need is online now a days or at least pointers in the right direction. Or you could ask on one of the many forums inc this one. You will get a dozen different answers maybe but you can find the one that works for you and the dog

• Like 1

Have a look on youtube the 3 purdeys progress vids if you have not already done so. Obedience training wise most lurcher books run through the basics a better bet would be a gundog training book in my opinion they usually give solutions to obedience training problems you may come across.

+1.

Always rated the books by Joe Irving, should be able to get them from your local library, well

worth a read.

• Like 2

I learnt everything from reading merle and rogues and running dogs lol maybe that's where I went wrong lol

Personally I think Jackie Drakeford a book has a lot of good sound training advice in it.

A brilliant read in John Fishers Think dog if you are into dog behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...

With the season ending and the brighter evenings around not to far away I will start to focus my attention back to training my dogs.

I have got a Ped Whippet (12 months old) and a newly acquired Bedlington Greyhound (2.5 years old).

I have read 'The Working Whippet' by Helen Hansell and 'The Complete Lurcher' by Brian Plumber. I took a hell of a lot from the Working Whippet book but the Complete Lurcher was a frustrating read for me and i found it difficult to sift through the paragraphs of stories/opinions before I got to some decent training tips.

I get lots of satisfaction from training dogs and I'm always keen to learn new things so are there any decent suggestions?

Throw the books in the bin and the time spent reading would be better spent on grass,the best lessons learnt are by mistakes we make whilst learning.A better option still is to spend a while in the field with somebody more experienced,they will learn you more in an hour than a year in a library could.

• Like 1