Starting A Line Of Lurchers

If you where starting for scratch with a line what would u look for in a stud and dam if the be bull wheaten collie saluki and so on would u go to a straight greyhound or 7/8 hound with w bit of something else in it how would u determined what to keep and what to cull or do u keep that whole litter and work of that and cull at a later time when is a line a line what would be your next step when it comes time for another litter .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its greyhound kelpie,cost me a fukin fortune lol.had to drive 3 hrs to the ferry,get on the ship,travel to wales,get to the town of the breeder,stay for a bit,pay 250 sterling for her,drive back an

for get about breeds jest get a pup form the best dam and sire you have seen work have very very hi standuds look at dozens of dogs if you can evan more. when you are happy with a sire and dam i would

id be looking for "good temperament" in what i bred aswel as well as working ability, i cant stand nuisance dogs and nutters, no matter how well there bred, you could give me the best working dog in t

for get about breeds jest get a pup form the best dam and sire you have seen work have very very hi standuds look at dozens of dogs if you can evan more. when you are happy with a sire and dam i would pic a bitch pup from that litter good bitches seem to be harder to fine than dogs pluse you are the one in contol if you have the bitch work bitch for a season if shes doing well keep her if not cull or spay and re home.say hes doing well give her 3/4 more season realy depends on what you want out off you futcher line if its rabbits only you will now be for4 seasons but id still give it a long wile as dogs can get sick of them to if worked hard regla.if you wanted a line preban and wanted a dog to take all sorts of quarry defo 5 seasons if you bitch is still doing all you want then go start looking for a sire that will do all you want to. may be her farther back to her if hes still around or a beter short cut if you now were her litter brothers are go see them work if good anuf for you yous one it can have risks but the rewards well out way them.if you can keep two pups but only if you have the time and game and drive to see it thro.you want a dog and bitch buy the way. if they both do what you want you are landed its the start of a line you can go out to a stud for you bitch unrelated then back to your dog over them pups and so on im not much of a righter or speler hope it makes sence.jest my humble apinion

my advice dont bother it can come an obsession jest buy the first pup out of good stuff and injoy it. then replace it when its old or dies i dont meen jest get rid of it mind.theres a few good lads breeding good stuff and far to meny dogs in the pound.

• Like 11

for get about breeds jest get a pup form the best dam and sire you have seen work have very very hi standuds look at dozens of dogs if you can evan more. when you are happy with a sire and dam i would pic a bitch pup from that litter good bitches seem to be harder to fine than dogs pluse you are the one in contol if you have the bitch work bitch for a season if shes doing well keep her if not cull or spay and re home.say hes doing well give her 3/4 more season realy depends on what you want out off you futcher line if its rabbits only you will now be for4 seasons but id still give it a long wile as dogs can get sick of them to if worked hard regla.if you wanted a line preban and wanted a dog to take all sorts of quarry defo 5 seasons if you bitch is still doing all you want then go start looking for a sire that will do all you want to. may be her farther back to her if hes still around or a beter short cut if you now were her litter brothers are go see them work if good anuf for you yous one it can have risks but the rewards well out way them.if you can keep two pups but only if you have the time and game and drive to see it thro.you want a dog and bitch buy the way. if they both do what you want you are landed its the start of a line you can go out to a stud for you bitch unrelated then back to your dog over them pups and so on im not much of a righter or speler hope it makes sence.jest my humble apinion

my advice dont bother it can come an obsession jest buy the first pup out of good stuff and injoy it. then replace it when its old or dies i dont meen jest get rid of it mind.theres a few good lads breeding good stuff and far to meny dogs in the pound.

for got to add a few £1000 for the vets if you are grafting them had they will need it at some point

I have no intention of even trying to breed pups or start a line just with all the talk of tumbler lurcher and the one in the general section and the saluki lurchers it get u thinking in reality one wrong out cross could set somebody back even if that dog/bitch seemed right how do would u no what to look for if you dog bitch does what u want how do u when to out cross. Might sound stupid but I dose interest me .

Can anyone honestly prove that line bred lurchers do any better than lurchers bred from worker to worker

No they dont mate but you stand that bit better chance of getting a goodun,its like all breeds you get good and bad in all breeds ive seen a good few good dogs put over good or decent bitches and still not produced as good as there parents.flick a coin heads or tails thats what you will get mate.if its just lookers you want 1stx deerhoundxgreyhound all day long.but i dont care what anyone says you will get something decent or you might just get that one off.take ya chance or just buy something in is what i would probably do.

• Like 1

HANCOCKKKKKK!!!! LOL...bob buy in and forget the idea of lines etc,let some poor sod do all the hard work and you pay yer money and buy a good un.If I find the right dog and everything falls into place(like it never does)I might expand on the kelpie empire this summer coming,After the last (and only one in 10 years)litter I swore id never again do it but i think it would be a lost oppertuninty if i did not take a pup from her.I always buy in ,havent come across line bred lurchers ever,but there are some gems being bred by proper lads,(I AM NOT ONE OF THEM I HASTEN TO ADD)just wait and watch and something will surely catch yer attention

• Like 2

Spot on mate,you have to breed in and cull hard if you want to breed a strain.As long as you breed healthy vigorous stuff to each other its the quickest and surest way to get results,if what you start with has good stuff behind it.You are not just breeding the two dogs but the genes contained in them.

• Like 2

See I've only ever had one litter and that was because I didn't no she was in pup when I got her I have no intentions of breed I'm struggling to make up me mind on what my next pup well be to fast and it'll become a cropper to slow I ain't catch anything the bitch i have now can run clever and catch enough to keep me happy as I ain't doing much this last few months but next year ill be back out properly and ill need something coming up behind her jigsaw will tel u I'm changing my mind everytime I'm talking to him but something keep pulling me towards collie lurchers it must take a long time and dedication to get some breeding true to type or can that be done u can nearly say what the pups will work like if that make sense.atb bob