Jack Russells, One Particular Friend And Bert Gripton.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just thought I'd post a short letter of words regarding certain topics of conversation that may interest many of the terrier lads and perhaps some lasses also. Going back to the period of (1984). Rega

Pity that. You'll still be thinking of her for a while yet. Because all my terriers are related when they bark in the kennels they often sound like their father or mother etc. and I often went into t

I think anyone who's lost a terrier will be a bit watery eyed after that mate ,I know I was .Its very easy to focus on a special dog to the exclusion of others .Even to the point of putting off mating

Posted Images

Agree with the above posts. A good read Lutra Lutra and written with passion.

Only a terrier man can understand the hole that's left in his heart when another good terrier leave this world.

Neil, Things haven't been to good here at the moment and the sun doesn't shine so bright nowadays. Like I mentioned to you I will try and get the (Bert Gripton) DVD over to you when one is copied. Plus I will get you a copy of the somewhat informative and detailed book about Foxes. My best regards.

• Like 1

Enjoyed that ultra, very good read and look forward to hearing some tales of "thimble", there were lots of working terriers to choose from back in the day and most would give a good account of themselves but special dogs only come along here and there, most of us never realised how good they were until we lost them, can't change the past but we can improve the future, good hunting, Plucky

• Like 3

Agree with the above posts. A good read Lutra Lutra and written with passion.

Only a terrier man can understand the hole that's left in his heart when another good terrier leave this world.

I'm in that situation now after losing my bitch on sat night, don't think I'll ever replace that terrier, still hasn't sunk in properly expecting to see her every time I go to the kennels

Pity that. You'll still be thinking of her for a while yet.

Because all my terriers are related when they bark in the kennels they often sound like their father or mother etc. and I often went into the kitchen to shut one up and often shouted the name of a dog that might be dead a year or two. You still recognise the voice.

it can be the same with the way the work or things they do. You never forget them.

It's something the messers who swap dogs regularly and never show them loyalty will never understand.

Lost my little bitch back in March, she's was only 16 months but I had so much pride with that wee dog. I now have a pup an from time to time still find myself calling her Molly when she's upto no good

• Like 2

Great read Lutra, not a dig, you've obviously put time and thought into the post but a bit of paragraphing would make it even better for old eyes like mine on a small screen :D

Cheers, D.

At least it's not all in CAPITALS!..........I can't be arsed with them haha....

.......Nice read lutra

Great read Lutra, not a dig, you've obviously put time and thought into the post but a bit of paragraphing would make it even better for old eyes like mine on a small screen :D

Cheers, D.

Mytkos, apologies regarding the paragraphing that would normally be used in any form of writing, but it was just off my head and I'm not at my sharpest at the moment. However, in future I will paragraph the sentences. No problem!

Just thought I'd post a short letter of words regarding certain topics of conversation that may interest many of the terrier lads and perhaps some lasses also. Going back to the period of (1984). Regarding the year in question I received a somewhat urgent call from a life long friend who kept, bred and worked a small type Jack Russell. At the time of the of the phone call he had at the time been having certain marital problems, upon deciding he wanted to know if I would like to buy a smooth-coated Russell called (Jack). The dog was only 6 months in age and had been kept by my friend who had the chance to study the litter of pups. His correct decision was to keep the black and white Russell.To cut such a long story short I paid the princely some of £25.00 pounds; the best £ 25.00 pounds I'd ever spent. My friend arrived duly at my mothers place of residence, and my brother who also kept and worked terriers had to loan myself the money. "In those days I was poorer than a Church mouse'! At once something registered in my mind that this dog would be something special. 'Whatever made myself realise I cannot truly comprehend'. The dog was a nice type also, not a world beater but quite nice in confirmation."So now I will start the story". Please understand as a seeker of truth I cannot put everything down about Jack has it would be impossible in such a post. 'I do apologise'! At the time I'd lost a little outstanding Russell bitch called Betsy, killed on a busy main road when I was only 18. She was born here in 1976, at the time I'd be approx 10 going towards 11years in age. So of course it had taken myself 7 years to train her and virtually 5 minutes to lose her. 'I never fully recovered due to my personality".... 'Always so self critical of my own performance, no matter what I did. Perfectionism cannot be attained and that has what has crucified myself ever since childhood days. 'Back to the point". Little Jack only really loved myself, he wasn't too good with people. However, I kept him because of his loyalty, trust and working ability. He was what some people would say, ( Just right), 'just like the little bears porridge"! He first encountered a shallow but somewhat large sand earth in an old conifer- mixed woodland in Sherwood forest. 2 large dog foxes were accounted for; both brothers out of the same litter. I had found the earth in spring time, gone back, and the foxes had gone back to their place were they had been born.The place in question has been wonderful in my life hunting foxes and many people will understand how much you get to know a place.As any good terrier man will know the sand earths are the most difficult when entering terriers into such places. This place was all sand, some earths shallow and some deep. We put little Jack into a place a few weeks later after his first fox, a large difficult (sett) in Derbyshire). It was his only second dig and he really got knocked about by a large male; he was to ground for 9 hours but never once put a foot wrong. 'That's when I knew how good a dog he wood make'.We traveled everywhere, from Scotland down to Cornwall. Devon and Somerset. There wasn't many counties the dog hadn't been. All wasn't too happy when stupidly we befriended a certain so- called terrier man. From the beginning he was so jealous of the little dog, I couldn't comprehend why a person could react to another person's success in such a way. We have always been brought up in life to cherish another man's achievements!It got to one stage were the (W'''''R would come for us to put Jack into gargantuan places, just in order to lose the dog.However, the dog never failed and in all honesty I never saw the the dog have a bad day. The digs were legendary at times and without my brother I dug some massive places on my own. Also on another occasion my brother was at the South Durham, 25 years ago as Terrier man under Grahame Wing, the famous fox hunting brothers. There was a dog bred out of Jack, a dog called Jacob. My brother was doing well up in that part of the country and a certain landowner saw Jacob work; he was that impressed he wanted to buy the dog there and then. 'My brother flatly refused'! Then the farmer proceeded to ask that he would swop one his new Tractors for the dog...Funny that is for sure! However, the dog never turned out like his Father, Jack. In all honesty the dog lacked certain credentials and didn't stop with us too long. I also had the Mother to Jack, a really small bitch called Peg which was a very good dog but a little too hard. She had a rather bad time with a fox in the North East many,many years ago now and was blinded in both eyes, however she had managed to kill the fox. She only weighed approx 10 or 11 1bs in weight. I would like to carry talking about the wonderful period in one's life but I have other avenues to explore. Just a short tale about Bert Gripton. My brother and myself were at his cottage in Shifnal at the time and he told us about a certain tale about a terrier he sold to a keeper. Bert of course had 100 per cent guaranteed the dog to work underground at any fox. In somewhat frustration and bewilderment the dog had been put to ground but after a while would proceed to come out, 'cock up its leg, and then would urinate up the nearest tree or anywhere else so desired.After what the keeper thought fruitless days out with the dog, he decided to go back and explain his misfortune and so-called negative experiences.The person Bert was he didn't even explain the circumstances, but took the keeper out immediately to a known place which almost had a fox. (A favourite place) for example. The terrier unleashed and into the hole. After a short period like other incidents the dog came out and urinated.Bert dug down to were at one stage the terrier had been previously located unknown to the keeper. Bert produced one very warm, but dead fox. Then he explained to the keeper that that was a certain particular trait that the dog had unusually employed. (Wonderful)! Nowadays I have just 2 rough- coated terriers, Titch and Tiny; they are out of a bitch I had called Tinkey which was lost to a fox at the (South Notts) some while back. The dogs here will hunt and find anything and I will continue to look up into the skies and thank (GOD) FOR THE DOGS I've had. Often when I drive by the woods in Sherwood Forest I fondly remember all the wonderful times spent roaming those beautiful places.Also with a tear in one's eye, I look at the place were little (Peg) is buried; but then differently with a smile (I think that the foxes are at this time, safe for now. So for now to the true guys who know who they are, I close you in my heart. My regards. Lutra.... P.S. When my mind is a little sharper I may write about a rough-coated bitch called Thimble. That is if anyone would like to hear of course.

I will use the correct paragraphs next time if I decide to post. Very sorry.

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 1