Loner's

Any lads on here dig alone, what's your view on the pro's and con's of it. pro's for me is security(nobody knows fuk all about yea), I can go whenever I want, I draw less attention while out(seen 9 lads crossing a field a while back with an awful heap of dogs, ffs, they didn't see me though), don't need as much permission although I do have a fair bit.

Biggest con for me is access to dogs, have to buy in blind cos I don't mix or even know that many in the game(men that got me into it are either gone or indisposed). Another con is if you get Into trouble on a dig, I hand pick digs that I know will suit dog and me, but it doesn't always go as planned as most will know, so help comes from non digging/terrier men.

Anybody anything to add?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just Gota make sure you got full battery and credit on ya phone and always let sumone no roughly were your going I got lost a couple months ago in a forest was pretty scarey after a hour of going roun

Sometimes things go wrong when on your own mate broke a leg bad break with bone sticking out phoned wife who thought he was taking piss told her were he was still took his mate 3hours to find him pass

Can't beat it if you can find someone on exact same wavelengths as you, help make decisions, go over the dogs performance, make decisions ect! Don't mind the odd local quick one but feck going for a p

I always like a partner to share the digging but also the craic,its surprising the shit you talk about when out, I have also always had a few standby lads in case you hit a deep one or a shit place, I hate drains as they all look the same on the outside but you never know where the f*ck they end up,keep your circle of friends tight and there will be no issues,its a sport not the secret service, nice terriers as well matey,enjoy, Plucky

• Like 5

Just Gota make sure you got full battery and credit on ya phone and always let sumone no roughly were your going I got lost a couple months ago in a forest was pretty scarey after a hour of going round in circles I had a brain wave and tuned location services on on my phone and found my way out... i also lost a earth while my dog was to ground she slipped in so I ran to the van for a spade and chuldent find the earth again luckiley enough I had the locator in my pocket and found the dog lots of cons digging alone It's hard work from start to finish but it's proberly the most satisfying way to hunt your testing your self as much as the terrier and it's only fair you both get tested

• Like 7

Good enough way to get work with your dogs,satisfaction, and not a person who is present who does things differently in there head or methods, when you get to your places,no one getting in the way with the bullshit.or even squeal you out. Bad sides to it, no one to share the digging with who is grand, and help each other, dogs, and hunting, safety. But hey what can you do,but get your Mungrel out, and learn, and stick with what you know.

Good enough way to get work with your dogs,satisfaction, and not a person who is present who does things differently in there head or methods, when you get to your places,no one getting in the way with the bullshit.or even squeal you out. Bad sides to it, no one to share the digging with who is grand, and help each other, dogs, and hunting, safety. But hey what can you do,but get your Mungrel out, and learn, and stick with what you know.

Yeah, no one to share it with, was looking at other thread by treehands (I think), for the likes of him and Neil coney and others to look back and share their stories and memories.

And like you say, you don't have to justify anything to anybody bar yourself.

Weekends I had two good mates I go with. During the week I find myself going on my own you would miss the craic. But once the dogs on and u get him out u find a smile coming on your face and an even bigger one when you give them a bell to say how u got on knowing there mad to be out and them not been able to get out

Edited by shaneg
  • Like 1

Can't beat it if you can find someone on exact same wavelengths as you, help make decisions, go over the dogs performance, make decisions ect! Don't mind the odd local quick one but feck going for a proper days digging on your own!

• Like 5

Yeah, no one to share it with, was looking at other thread by treehands (I think), for the likes of him and Neil coney and others to look back and share their stories and memories.

And like you say, you don't have to justify anything to anybody bar yourself.

yes thats the thing, talk,. You can listen to tall stories but you go way beyond it and seeing what's [BANNED TEXT], on the hard ground and just your to prove your self and dog throughout, and you will get good days but you will still here some one going on, like if you have a cup of tea in there house, or blowing out to a little audience

Can't beat it if you can find someone on exact same wavelengths as you, help make decisions, go over the dogs performance, make decisions ect! Don't mind the odd local quick one but feck going for a proper days digging on your own!

yea your right Ther lukey good to have a pall Ther to discuss what's happening below and help make decisions also good to have some banter on the dig bit of pisstaking never goes a miss :-)

It's good to dig with 1 or 2 proper digging lads. good Craic and piss taking is what it's all about. I normally try to get out on my own when starting off young pups though. Gives them every chance to learn the ropes on their own with less activity around the hole.

• Like 5