Strange About Deerhounds

I think fluff hit the nail on the head. If you want to use a deerhound perhaps it would be a better idea to get one from abroad where they are worked and are from tested lines. Not that many people work purebred deerhounds these days in this country.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive only seen a few examples of the cross in the 80s and early 90s some were decent dogs maybe the standard of deerhound is not there anymore.

i think this photo says it all about my bitch,found out a few home truths about her the last few days,i am dissapointed to say the least but she slays rabbits like a good un lol   this is my last de

I think its a sad day in gb when the nation that gave the world the most working breeds of hunting dogs has choked itself to death with stupid anti hunting laws that a lot of breeds are in better nick

Posted Images

I said I'd put a few pics of my lads line bred deerhound greyhound when I got the chance,he's a lovely dog and I'd have him in a heartbeat come live with me, he's 9 months old and stands at just over 27"TTS, even now we give him the odd run on a day out and he catches a few, good ferreting companion and follows the terriers when bushing catching his share so the future looks bright for him,WM

DSC_0782 2.JPG

DSC_0735.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG

DSC_0823.JPG

Has your lad still got the hancock pup?

No gaz, the hancock got nerve damage in its front leg after running into a tree whilst daytime bushing, hit the shoulder severing the nerve,shame but bred off non-workers they seem to not be able to take the rough and tumble of hard work, PTS and another now buried in my garden next to his other hancock, neither lived longer than 18 months and he will not get anymore of my families money again, look-a-like lurchers they should be named, LOL's, WM
Sorry to hear that.

Hope has better luck with this one. Pups a belter.

ye because it was a Hancock and not working parents that's why it had an injury lol this is the type of shit forums are full of today
I think the point he is making is that some dogs are naturally (genetically) more injury prone than others. And worker X worker from dogs tested over many seasons and having not received injury is probably a better bet than from 2 untested and unknown dogs who may well be injury prone and nobody knows it.

Just how I interpreted what the man was saying?

my reply wasn't meant to be to you gaz I quoted wrong post. You can't say a dog is more injury prone because it's a Hancock lol, how many dogs do u know that hit stuff and don't come worse off? Does that mean that the breeding is crap?

Your pup I think had an accident hitting a post, does that mean it was injured because of untested parents? Can you see what I'm saying.

Iv seen his posts before on about his hanvocks having bad feet, well if you pick a pup with bad feet, it'll have bad feet lol

I know what you are saying fella. I also know what WM was trying to say. I can see an argument for both sides.

That knock my pup had would of killed a hancock. That splash of bull saved her. Lol

I think fluff hit the nail on the head. If you want to use a deerhound perhaps it would be a better idea to get one from abroad where they are worked and are from tested lines. Not that many people work purebred deerhounds these days in this country.

I think its a sad day in gb when the nation that gave the world the most working breeds of hunting dogs has choked itself to death with stupid anti hunting laws that a lot of breeds are in better nick in the old colonies, that to get what used to be easily sourced types of dogs at home you need to import them back in. GB GONE TO THE SHIT HEAP

• Like 5

IMG_7655_zpsgs0y0ykl.jpg

i think this photo says it all about my bitch,found out a few home truths about her the last few days,i am dissapointed to say the least but she slays rabbits like a good un lol

this is my last deerhound x for sure anyway.

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 5

IMG_7655_zpsgs0y0ykl.jpg

i think this photo says it all about my bitch,found out a few home truths about her the last few days,i am dissapointed to say the least but she slays rabbits like a good un lol

this is my last deerhound x for sure anyway.

A family member has one that is the spitting double of your bitch . . .it's nearly 3 and maybe accounted for 20 rabbits lol, when ferreting if there is the smallest amount of cover in the way or it does not feel like that particular bolting rabbit it will watch it escape.

on a plus side shes just started to jump.

Defo not my cup of tea.

no thats number 2 in one week,she got tagged ever so slightly after a good course and boy did she scream the house down.While the dog was doing what was necessary she avoided the situation,after the run up I thought shed be worked up to get stuck in,on her plus side though shes a very good lamp dog and will crash into cover without a thought of her own safety,shes a delight to have with you though and a very affectionate dog.

no thats number 2 in one week,she got tagged ever so slightly after a good course and boy did she scream the house down.While the dog was doing what was necessary she avoided the situation,after the run up I thought shed be worked up to get stuck in,on her plus side though shes a very good lamp dog and will crash into cover without a thought of her own safety,shes a delight to have with you though and a very affectionate dog.

how old is she nate

Jigsaw how old is the bitch? Was she entered to them young? My lad wouldn't touch one till 18months... I've always ran him single handed and at 12 months he ran one on the lamp in a big field, boxed it out into the open and ran it to a standstill. Stood there and barked at it! Something switched during the following months.. He's a decent dog for them now, just needs a bit of room.. Never let one go yet and has taken some stick... Still wouldn't own another.. Haha, like I said.. If I was serious about owning a dog for proper graft every week on the lamp.. I'm sure I could find a better animal..

DLM I have a better animal lol.,almost 3 yrs old.I just want an all round fun type lurcher that'll scare a hare ,run a rabbit ,flip a fox and possibly scare a deer lol (sorry couldnt resist once i started ).Shes a grand oul dog to have about in fairness but she aint up to the main mutts standard..big soft old girl she is.My lady took one bite and thought ''feck that'' and removed herself from the vicinity,she then had oppertunity no.2 shortly after and never entered the foray,dont think she ever will

• Like 1

DLM I have a better animal lol.,almost 3 yrs old.I just want an all round fun type lurcher that'll scare a hare ,run a rabbit ,flip a fox and possibly scare a deer lol (sorry couldnt resist once i started ).Shes a grand oul dog to have about in fairness but she aint up to the main mutts standard..big soft old girl she is.My lady took one bite and thought ''feck that'' and removed herself from the vicinity,she then had oppertunity no.2 shortly after and never entered the foray,dont think she ever will

Lol me too, is it saluki blooded!