Gwp X Greyhounds

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too true, mine were expected to and did many tasks, bushing for rabbits, ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, walked up woodcock and picking up on a shoot. Not only did they do all those different

Here's a few pics of mine just to show how a 1st x cross can turn out, maybe not as cloddy as some would think. She doesn't get as much work as I would like but that's not the dogs fault. Top pic is a

I heard many times from lads that once you have a pointer you won't have anything else ......after owning training and working one I would agree.I got mine last year and this is his first season and h

Posted Images

Pointer..just as a rough sort of gauge .. how hard mouthed have you found a bit of gwp makes a dog compared with other strains? i.e.. are they crunchers even on none toothy game /anything left for the table? (each dog to their own I know ) atb.

Pointer..just as a rough sort of gauge .. how hard mouthed have you found a bit of gwp makes a dog compared with other strains? i.e.. are they crunchers even on none toothy game /anything left for the table? (each dog to their own I know ) atb.

Mine was brought up with terriers and from a young age was grabbing hold of rabbits and rats they caught so was sometines a bit hard mouthed. Most rabbits were brought back alive and could have been eaten but when a bit tired she would start to kill them. Ive seen some pointer crosses that smashed rabbits up and others that were very soft mouthed just like I've seen with other types of lurcher.

• Like 1

Mine was brought up with terriers and from a young age was grabbing hold of rabbits and rats they caught so was sometines a bit hard mouthed. Most rabbits were brought back alive and could have been eaten but when a bit tired she would start to kill them. Ive seen some pointer crosses that smashed rabbits up and others that were very soft mouthed just like I've seen with other types of lurcher.

Was she a good retriever pointer?

I did more ratting with her in the last few years, my pure Gwp dog loves his ratting61BF3AAC-F9CA-47A2-8279-EF8ABE02C9BC.jpg

mines quite partial to rolland as well ! amongst other things :thumbs: hes a bit like a 5 st pat though when he starts "no reverse "

The pointers are like JCBs when digging rats out lol.

My Gwp still amazes me at the angles he can catch a rat at, for such a big dog it's remarkable. I wish I'd filmed him out ratting more.

• Like 2

She wasn't field trial standard but brought them back to me pretty well. She would kill and leave a mixi rabbit but I've seen other dogs do that. I've got her on dvd out ferreting have you not seen it? I've got footage of Dougy somewhere.

She wasn't field trial standard but brought them back to me pretty well. She would kill and leave a mixi rabbit but I've seen other dogs do that. I've got her on dvd out ferreting have you not seen it? I've got footage of Dougy somewhere.

I haven't seen it but would love to.

I'm not sure if I still have the Dougy footage or even if he's on it much but I'll try and track it down. I have DVDs of my bitch ferreting if you want to see her, it doesn't show her at her best which was hunting up but marking and catching bolters when she was young.

I had to keep an eye on my Gwp when ratting at night because the rats are always in the steam cleaners or tractor engines etc and he would try and dismantle anything to get to a rat. He will try and climb up bushes and trees to flush squirrels and will spend ages pushing and swimming through reeds to find moorhens. My type of dog.

• Like 1