Gwp X Greyhounds

I've never had out to do with the gwp hence why I'm asking a few questions, how big are this breed generally?

The first dog I had was about 27" to the shoulder, but the second was only 25" and slightly lighter in build.

TC

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too true, mine were expected to and did many tasks, bushing for rabbits, ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, walked up woodcock and picking up on a shoot. Not only did they do all those different

Here's a few pics of mine just to show how a 1st x cross can turn out, maybe not as cloddy as some would think. She doesn't get as much work as I would like but that's not the dogs fault. Top pic is a

I heard many times from lads that once you have a pointer you won't have anything else ......after owning training and working one I would agree.I got mine last year and this is his first season and h

Posted Images

I have a mate in Canada who hunts with them on horse back. When on the Prairie Grouse the dogs can be working up to half a mile away from them. As a HPR usually when they find they come on point, and wait for the command to flush. That said they can and are used for many other disciplines from ferreting to tracking deer. They are IMO the closest thing you will find to an all round dog.

TC

• Like 6

I get what they're about when hunting up static game birds, around cover, hunt up and point, before flushing. But what about moving quarry, are they too driven to stop with a command/ whistle? If so how far out will they go?

I get what they're about when hunting up static game birds, around cover, hunt up and point, before flushing. But what about moving quarry, are they too driven to stop with a command/ whistle? If so how far out will they go?

Same as any other dog if their trained right then no. But I am talking about the pure breed here not the cross. As I have said many times the GWP is not for everyone. If you can be comfortable watching a dog do it's own thing in the distance and have total confidence that you can still have control over that dog, then they may be for you. However, if you feel that letting a dog work large is not for you, for whatever reason, then leave them well alone.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

Same as any other dog if their trained right then no. But I am talking about the pure breed here not the cross. As I have said many times the GWP is not for everyone. If you can be comfortable watching a dog do it's own thing in the distance and have total confidence that you can still have control over that dog, then they may be for you. However, if you feel that letting a dog work large is not for you, for whatever reason, then leave them well alone.

TC

Yeah was thinking gwp pure, and working at distance but retaining control.

Hi mate I live in Lincolnshire with a lot of fen land so when I say the pointers will range I mean they will.if quarry sits tight they will point until the quarry losses it nerve or until the command. They will hunt a line as well as any other hpr but mine will work quite close if they're needed to be and are at home working cover. The pointer is really able to multi task on wide range of quarry if given the opportunity to do so. I do find it a shame that some gun men only allow them their one discipline because they are intelligent enough to adapt to many.

• Like 4

Speak to a man regular on me walks, he's got 2 pures pointing over his Harris lovely dogs and speaking abit more he said they cop for foxes often and don't stand a chance. Anyways thought on one but work is totally different to what I do

do you mean they don't stand a chance catching one?

I heard many times from lads that once you have a pointer you won't have anything else ......after owning training and working one I would agree.I got mine last year and this is his first season and have found it very challenging but when they are ready they are. Very easy to train but as what's already been said they would not suit everybody .....as for ranging they will range as much as you will allow them they have to be reigned in but when it all clicks they are bang on a very versatile breed

post-88284-0-97959700-1452031956_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi mate I live in Lincolnshire with a lot of fen land so when I say the pointers will range I mean they will.if quarry sits tight they will point until the quarry losses it nerve or until the command. They will hunt a line as well as any other hpr but mine will work quite close if they're needed to be and are at home working cover. The pointer is really able to multi task on wide range of quarry if given the opportunity to do so. I do find it a shame that some gun men only allow them their one discipline because they are intelligent enough to adapt to many.

Too true, mine were expected to and did many tasks, bushing for rabbits, ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, walked up woodcock and picking up on a shoot. Not only did they do all those different task but they did them as well as any dog that was dedicated to each task.

One of my favourites was bushing with a long net where the dog would range looking for rabbits on rough ground. Once the dog found and came on point I would then set a long net where I thought the rabbit would bolt to then tell the dog to flush, brilliant sport.

Ferreting.

2006_1103marking0004.jpg

Some retrieving training.

2005_1203marsh0016.jpg

2005_1203marsh0018-1.jpg

Pigeon shooting. There is a wounded bird in a gutter under the bent tree, I cast him down wind to find the scent.

2005_1106pigeons0009.jpg

2005_1106pigeons0011.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 15

If anyone doubts the power of these dogs, just don't get in between one and what it is fighting with. I had to break a fight up one day and the GWP got hold of my leg thinking it was the other dog. This photo was taken a couple of weeks later and the puncture wounds had got infected.

2011_0415pigeonschnitzels0002.jpg

TC