The Mighty Rabbit

Read a lot of stuff on here lately that sometimes gets me thinking i hunt a different species of rabbit at times. The general opinion seemingly being that they are easy pickings but I just don't see this in the field where I have hunted. Yes they are no match for the hare but I my experience they are no pushover. This isn't a knock at people's dogs at all but I regularly see what i would class a heavy lurchers 1xs etc that are nothing like the racy lurchers I have grown up with and yet they are said to take rabbits with ease etc. Now I aren't questioning people as everyone hunts different land and different ways but I genuinely can't see how these dogs would have the pace on the land I hunt, where bolts from the hedgerows are usually short and shape an you need a fast lurcher to have any chance. Am I missing something or is perhaps the coney only given enough credit when he is caught and neglected when he gets away atb

• Like 2

Read a lot of stuff on here lately that sometimes gets me thinking i hunt a different species of rabbit at times. The general opinion seemingly being that they are easy pickings but I just don't see this in the field where I have hunted. Yes they are no match for the hare but I my experience they are no pushover. This isn't a knock at people's dogs at all but I regularly see what i would class a heavy lurchers 1xs etc that are nothing like the racy lurchers I have grown up with and yet they are said to take rabbits with ease etc. Now I aren't questioning people as everyone hunts different land and different ways but I genuinely can't see how these dogs would have the pace on the land I hunt, where bolts from the hedgerows are usually short and shape an you need a fast lurcher to have any chance. Am I missing something or is perhaps the coney only given enough credit when he is caught and neglected when he gets away atb

Or maybe your dogs are not as quick as you think? :hmm: Just a thought.

TC

Or maybe your dogs are not as quick as you think? :hmm: Just a thought.

TC

Lol the thought had crossed my mind to be fair and I only have a 11month old pup. That said I have had the pleasure to grow up with my old mans greyhounds and lurchers and the greyhounds were grade 1 so I think I have seen quick dogs. my uncle also owns a forley winner or whatever the comp is called nowadays pretty sure that is a quick dog with some tank. Would be great to see some of the heavier types work I just haven't had the chance atb

• Like 1

I,m with Matt on this, if I,m honest I think a heavy dog or even a half x cross would struggle on some of the ground I run on...like to see it though...

I used to think the same until I got out with a decent lurcher man who runs a big heavy dog.

Sure opened my eyes.

• Like 2

When I was young I had 3 lurchers over the years and as I recall none of them caught a day time rabbit either ferreted or bushed by the terrier. But the one I have now has caught two which I thought was a big ask around here. But he seems to have an explosive burst of speed and he lets nothing get in the way and gives a 110%. Not knocking my previous dogs as they were mostly used for lamping and did great at it and also didn't give me the grey hairs this sod is giving me plus if i had the chance I would happily have any of them again. But all dogs are capable of different achievements and you certainly can't judge a book by its cover as they say :laugh:

I,m with Matt on this, if I,m honest I think a heavy dog or even a half x cross would struggle on some of the ground I run on...like to see it though...

dont know about that mate but the few half bull greys that ive seen want to half any and every rabbit they run in 2 pure drive and explosive off the mark speed ive been very impressed and am not a bull x guy lol
  • Like 1

So is it a case that some rabbits or the ground they on not so good as some of the rabbits some where else in the country, that don't sound right but most of you know what I mean, it is New Years Eve feck it ATB FLACKO,

• Like 1