Patterdale As A Pet

Evening all, I'm thinking of taking on a Patterdale bitch puppy but I'm getting conflicting advice and could use a little more to establish a 'theme' running through that advice.

Are the people writing 'Patterdales..hard as nails...strong kill instinct...take on anything...etc' just saying that to create this hard image of themselves or are Patterdales really that mad?

The dog will be 95% of the time a family pet but I do want it to feel free to hunt/catch when out on walks BUT i don't want to have to worry about it fighting every dog we come across and spoil the walks.

Any advice, past experiences welcome.

Many Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reality check mate .Unless your into hunting with terriers ie ratting or the occasional dig then try something else as it will no doubt end in another one on preloved totally messed up in the head or

It's not fair on the dog IMO. They'll eventually become a liability and it's not the dogs fault. Also IMO shame on whoever is offering it up as a pet, they haven't got the pup or the breeds welfare a

Id say theyre for experienced dog owners, ive known families to have them as a first dog and they end up being mad and aggressive, wereas if they were kept in a working home they would probably be a p

Reality check mate .Unless your into hunting with terriers ie ratting or the occasional dig then try something else as it will no doubt end in another one on preloved totally messed up in the head or a cat killer .Regular work not walks keeps them sane in my experience .

• Like 7

In my opinion it's how you bring the dog up, I've got a Jack Russell as a pet and he's a fantastic dog. If you were to take on a Patterdale from a working home and try to give it a pet home, he may be a handful and you may end up needing to carry a shovel everywhere you go! All about the training YOU give it in my opinion.

• Like 1

BUT you might be taking a spade on walks . But that said not all pats go to ground they not wonder dogs

Edited to say I should emagine there are plenty of people on here that have had pats that didn't go but they won't tell ya

Edited by leethedog
  • Like 3

I know where there is a pet paterdale and aye it's demented,, only because it's not being worked/stimulated. I'm afraid it's past any help, I think if it got loose it would cause chaos. I feel sorry for it, off working stock too. I guess in the right hands it would of made a decent dog.

Shame really, as this sort of thing gives some dogs in general a bad name.

Although these designer dogs are a ridiculous price, they are a better pet for folk.

It's not the dogs fault.

It's not fair on the dog IMO. They'll eventually become a liability and it's not the dogs fault.

Also IMO shame on whoever is offering it up as a pet, they haven't got the pup or the breeds welfare at heart.

But funny enough however, when you do work them and keep them for the reason nature intended they're loyal and lovely to have around.

I couldn't imagine life without them.

• Like 5

Theirs easier dogs to keep if you just want it as a pet. Any iv saw are out and out cat killers but they are off working stock. Not good when your wee dogs hard wired to kill wee small fluffy things and seem to find them everywhere. The boys cant go to a park and let their dogs off lead without them finding trouble to get into. These ones would find something to kill or fight. Suppose you will always get the exception but their worse than a staffy when they start as they proper go for the kill. Personally i think their great wee dogs and i would keep one myself but it wouldnt be a pet.

As long as its given appropriate stimulus it will be fine. Be that agility, fly ball or similar. They don't HAVE to hunt, but they will be much nicer to be around if they have a job of some kind.

I was given a bull Russell from a pet home once. He pet killed, cat chased and I suspect child bit. Unfortunately they had neutuered him to try and calm him down. Needless to say it didn't work. He was happiest in a hole with quarry in front if him.