Barbour Wax Coat

Just been informed that I am getting a new Barbour Wax Coat for Xmas but I have to decide which one I want.

I need to go and have a proper look soon but after a quick look on the old internet I quite like the traditional look of the Beaufort (there is a classic Beaufort and also a Beaufort so not sure exactly what the difference is). The Sapper also look pretty good.

Anyway just thought I'd see what the lads on here have to say and if they have any opinions.

Also if someone can tell me the difference in the 2 Beauforts it would be appreciated.

Just been informed that I am getting a new Barbour Wax Coat for Xmas but I have to decide which one I want.

I need to go and have a proper look soon but after a quick look on the old internet I quite like the traditional look of the Beaufort (there is a classic Beaufort and also a Beaufort so not sure exactly what the difference is). The Sapper also look pretty good.

Anyway just thought I'd see what the lads on here have to say and if they have any opinions.

Also if someone can tell me the difference in the 2 Beauforts it would be appreciated.

Suppose it depends what you want it for mate. I like wax jackets and have had a couple of barbour ones in the last two years. Can't argue with the quality of them but both have been slim fitted types that you wouldn't get much in the pockets but I use then for work. I have a cheap £35 job for the countryside with bigger pockets

• Like 1

I've got a Beaufort had it a few year and I love it warm as toast with a fleece under it and waterproof a little on the heavy side Is the I find the pockets very useful

Cheers lads.

Do you know which Beaufort you got Fellman or difference between the 2?

Have to say the Beaufort is taking my eye

There was only one Barbour jacket and that was, or is, The Northumbria. Can't for the life of me understand buying one today with all the lightweight membrane stuff available. You don't want to do a full day on the hill in Barbour.

I've gone back to Barbour, tried loads of new fabric coats an jackets and never liked any of em...

Barbour now do new fabric jackets if you want that type and the build quality is far better than most other hunting jackets on the market.

Barbour have loads of wax styles out there now so do your homework and you'll get years out of it.

If your going for wax then make sure the cotton is the heavyweight. As said the Northumbria is a cracker and far more durable than the Beaufort. Just a pity they stopped making the Solway, as imo they were the best they done.

Take the time to find the right one but ffs make sure its the heavyweight!!

My dad bought me a mascot ,when I was 15 ,loved that coat had the poachers pocket and a little pocket by the zip that was hidden when you done the poppers up,wished I never sold it as it had loads life left,but I was 30 and wanted fashionable stuff.

I'm after A waxed coat but more the sort for genteel walks in the country ,one thing I noticed is on likes of eBay and selling sites there's a lot of knock offs and possibly shoplifted stuff .

I'm going to wait till I find a reputable place having a sale I reckon.

Well I've been today and picked and purchased a Northumbria.

I'm pretty tall and all the others didn't seem to give me the length that I wanted.

Cracking coat and even though It's the heaviest weight it doesn't feel too heavy if that makes sense.

Turns out anything with Classic in the name means it's treated with Sylkoil and the others are another sort of thornproof wax. The Northumbria is the "Classic" version of the Border.

Anyway been given permission to have it straight away so will be breaking it in on Tuesday but no doubt it will do great!

Cheers everyone for input.

Oh and by the way, I've been wearing a Fabric Barber for a few years and the reason moving to wax is that I'm sick of getting hooked and snagged on any bit of rough I go through either in the bearing line or general shooting.

• Like 2