First Season Dogs Finding

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll find a lot of young terriers want more room than they need, it might not be she can't find, it just might be she won't commit to pushing tight. One way or the other she'll put it right in time

I try not to over think anything, at the end of the day they're green pups that don't know their heads from their arses. I always show my pups dead game, not to often but enough to let them know that

Keep him going in the small places, some of them are naturals but the bulk of them learn their trade as they go through life.

It's good that you're bringing a trustworthy terrier with you to let you know about the pup.

If she's had a rag before then better still.

If she fails to find again and the older terrier does make sure the youngster sees the older one go to ground, let her hear the other terrier below while getting a nostril full of the terrier and game.

Wind her up. Make her jealous and wonder why isn't it her that's not having the fun.

a like that ;)

I think they or some and not saying one is better than the other can make a mistake. The young dog first and second season , you might see it going well to the extreme, but the could be room for mistake in finding as not like the more experienced dominating dog , who knew all well whats up their, and iam not on about a dog whos had easy game , but experienced game ,start to finish . The first season dog had to work for it!

• Like 3

Pablo are you saying that if you had a 1st season dog that travelled an earth[big-small] and after a while comes out and says nothing home you wont try an experienced terrier and give the youngster the benifit of the doubt,honest question? so dont come back wth insults.

• Like 1

Some young dogs( pups) just need something to make them click and sometimes leaving them on lead listening and watching will make them more determined when the time comes. if a child sees his friends playing football on the field but he is in classroom where will the child want to be

• Like 1

U shoudnt need a dog to start another. And no egging on.

I would agree (I think) but the subject here is a youngster that's been brought out a couple of times.

I suppose your advice is to shoot the pup, LOL.

Edited to add - to me using another terrier to start a youngster is doubling up, a big NO NO.

Letting a pup get all the sights and smell of a dig is very far removed from doubling up.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 1

Yes i would try the experienced dog if he was still wanting after seeing the first season promising keen worker come out But you know yourself if one had been with game and u knew , it woudn be right or fair to try another, either way . It like a fresh or new man in the ring. Not right on man or animal.

What's the pup done before all this? have you had him/her at earths when was to young to enter? I've no massive experience like some of the lads on here but I've made entering 1 bitch a lot harder than it should of been by having her around earths as a pup letting her rag lots of quarry and letting her sniff earths only to pull her away because she to young and when it come to entering she whuldent search properly It clicked in the end but I blame my self for that one

• Like 3