The Brown Rat

What were they like Bosun,sport wise? Know the brown rat used to kill black rats,hence the saying 'rattus rattus and rattus norvegicus never the twane shall meet.atb Keith j

Edited by keith j

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loathed by most,loved by a few,an unworthy opponent to some terrier men, yet a more than worthy opponent by others.Some like to kill the odd few now and then, others like myself hunt them on a weekly

Most of mine too.

foxbolter i'm not going to get pulled in to a debate over how strong a rat is or is not,ive bin working terriers for over 35 years and over twenty on other quarry, so i'll have my opinion and you have

Posted Images

Any their still Boson, and as every one hunts legally under the hunting act if they are endangered in the UK now, could they be controlled? Its just got me thinking that's all Rattus Rattus fever I think.

PUD

Edited by WHWT
  • Like 1

Question lads the title of this thread The Brown Rat, but has any one ever hunted or even seen Black rats. Some sites say their are nearly extinct in UK then you hear their still around port towns/Cities, London Liverpool been mentioned also down Cornwall and few islands. Am just curious cheers.PUD

Yes Pud, used to do the caking warehouses on the Wirral 30 years ago and caught a few with the dogs. Never in the same buildings as browns.

All the big "Spillers Mills" and "RH McDougall" mills I hunted 40yrs ago are well gone or converted into posh apartments with security, getting access anywhere near docks these days is impossible due to private ownership, security gatehouses and fencing are everywhere, "Peel Holdings" own everything up to Blackpool now and both sides of the "Mersey", I had some fantastic hunting in those places in the past and used to shoot the "feral" pigeons in my dinner time, we would enter the warehouse and shut the massive doors trapping hundreds of pigeons that had been eating and sh*tting on the grain, I would stand one end with my trusty BSA Mercury and my older brother would stand down the other end, he would drop one off the rafters and they would all fly down to me, then I would shoot one, we would fill sacks with the dead pigeons as none were to be left on the ground, the rats were never ending outside but they would not allow us in the warehouses with terriers, their "sister" mill was in "Toxteth" set amongst the houses and we did the pest control there also, WM

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Had some good hunts ovet the last couple months..Lot of rats moved on one of the farms I hunt after the harvest. Dogs have been worked every weekend days and nights..Taken on lamp , smoker and dug a lot out .Had over 500 not in big numbers,20 plusses,30 plusses..but regular ..only pics I have is a few after hunt pics taken on phone as I haven't used camera lately. Had some canny nights with collies on rabbits too.atb Keith j20171210_125721.thumb.jpg.eaeab45ad823280a81a2fbf23ee06212.jpg20171210_102013.thumb.jpg.7a0f104be275980d754fd2202bdbb7a5.jpg

• Like 7

I had a rat walk across my garden last night right in front of me brasen as you like so naturally I shouted for my lurcher pup  (who was sleeping on the sofa) he was abit slow on the up take and totally missed the bloody thing but for a few seconds I had high hopes haha 

Nice one Keith .We just picked up a pig farm but the farmer as usual was exaggerating on numbers .We've had two lots of 20 and now the place is quiet .Chicken farm nearby so hopefully get that as well .Ratting very good for keeping dogs fit and alert .

6 hours ago, stumfelter said:

A couple of nice shots there and either a smallish Plummer or largish rats! 

PS is ratting with terriers the finest sport going, I think so.

Bit of both bud,terrier "Grace"under 12 and yes there were some big buggers amongst them rats..this one tried pinching my drink lol.atb Keith j.DSC_0098_2.thumb.jpg.dfabf150b3618ef8b594456fc8eee2e9.jpg

• Like 6