New Gassing Course

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

on a fair few occasions moles would surface gasping for breath i didnt like it, cruel way to die,that aside trapping is still better results all round its safer and more productive in all ways.

Dear owld farmers , well they must be trained to buy it now. . I had one farmer say he had got one of his workers trained to use Phostoxin and talunex plus they had done a 1 day , use of rodenticide

mole trapping, gassing moles is expensive and no guarantee, the soil type weather ect and all this plays part, not excluding second man requirement. so for moles trapping is the most effective safe an

mole trapping, gassing moles is expensive and no guarantee, the soil type weather ect and all this plays part, not excluding second man requirement. so for moles trapping is the most effective safe and considerate form of control imo.

Too true , very rarely gas moles , but it is very effective on rabbits . Again this is a last resort on them as I would rather makes use of them when I can . However there are occasions when Phostoxin is another method that is handy to have.

I have just priced a mole/Phostoxin job for a parish council, they have already had two different pest controllers in and their traps are constantly being nicked .

hence the reason they have decided to try gas as another control method.

• 1 month later...

I have used gas but like Darcy said is very hit/miss. And using gas always worried me - what if the mole/rat/rabbit kicked the tablet out before the gas being released, and along comes a dog or person.

So traps for moles it is.

Well, i used to wonder about this,...(for moles) ? Cause one of the old info/instruction leaflets, you used to get (for phostoxin), would tell you how to apply the stuff.It said, scrape away the soil in a mole hill, until the tunnel (pop hole ?) is exposed.Insert a tablet down it, & seal it off ?,....I thought this advice was poor,...& i certainly wasnt going to do it that way !,.....lol So, as you alluded to here, inserting a tablet down the 'vertical shaft' (which could easily be bunged, with soil) COULD result in the gas tablet, being pushed out, onto the surface ?,....when 'mole' decides he wants too move, or eject soil, up the shaft.It could also render the tablet, ineffective,....pushing it into 'bunged soil' ?

Edited by earth-thrower

I have used gas but like Darcy said is very hit/miss. And using gas always worried me - what if the mole/rat/rabbit kicked the tablet out before the gas being released, and along comes a dog or person.

Well, i used to wonder about this,...(for moles) ? Cause one of the old info/instruction leaflets, you used to get (for phostoxin), would tell you how to apply the stuff.It said, scrape away the soil in a mole hill, until the tunnel (pop hole ?) is exposed.Insert a tablet down it, & seal it off ?,....I thought this advice was poor,...& i certainly wasnt going to do it that way !,.....lol So, as you alluded to here, inserting a tablet down the 'vertical shaft' (which could easily be bunged, with soil) COULD result in the gas tablet, being pushed out, onto the surface ?,....when 'mole' decides he wants too move, or eject soil, up the shaft.It could also render the tablet, ineffective,....pushing it into 'bunged soil' ?

C'ept at the first hint of his tunnel being disturbed ,let alone the stink of a degrading gas tablet mole is likely to be going the other way not burning its lungs out shovelling a pellet towards the surface-hence the hit and miss effect of gassing.

Also the tablet -as I was taught- should be placed down a probed hole in a run and plugged with soil not dropped into the tube leading to a hill.

Well, i used to wonder about this,...(for moles) ? Cause one of the old info/instruction leaflets, you used to get (for phostoxin), would tell you how to apply the stuff.It said, scrape away the soil in a mole hill, until the tunnel (pop hole ?) is exposed.Insert a tablet down it, & seal it off ?,....I thought this advice was poor,...& i certainly wasnt going to do it that way !,.....lol So, as you alluded to here, inserting a tablet down the 'vertical shaft' (which could easily be bunged, with soil) COULD result in the gas tablet, being pushed out, onto the surface ?,....when 'mole' decides he wants too move, or eject soil, up the shaft.It could also render the tablet, ineffective,....pushing it into 'bunged soi

Edited by earth-thrower

Well, i used to wonder about this,...(for moles) ? Cause one of the old info/instruction leaflets, you used to get (for phostoxin), would tell you how to apply the stuff.It said, scrape away the soil in a mole hill, until the tunnel (pop hole ?) is exposed.Insert a tablet down it, & seal it off ?,....I thought this advice was poor,...& i certainly wasnt going to do it that way !,.....lol So, as you alluded to here, inserting a tablet down the 'vertical shaft' (which could easily be bunged, with soil) COULD result in the gas tablet, being pushed out, onto the surface ?,....when 'mole' decides he wants too move, or eject soil, up the shaft.It could also render the tablet, ineffective,....pushing it into 'bunged soi

i wrote a response here, but somehow, it ended up in the wrong spot ! ha ha,...hence the edit,...(too late for me) ,...try again tomorrow,....lol

C'ept at the first hint of his tunnel being disturbed ,let alone the stink of a degrading gas tablet mole is likely to be going the other way not burning its lungs out shovelling a pellet towards the surface-hence the hit and miss effect of gassing.

Also the tablet -as I was taught- should be placed down a probed hole in a run and plugged with soil not dropped into the tube leading to a hill.

Thought provoking, your first part ?,...& this bit "Also the tablet-as i was taught- should be placed down a probed hole in a run and plugged with soil not dropped into the tube leading to a hill ",....well, exactly,....i agree with you. But going back probably 18 year, ago, the advice was to 'clear away the hill', etc (as i stated). So cause the guy i was working for at the time (ex keeper), had us using 'aluminium phosphide' for moles, on agricultural ground,..i decided to have some 'dialogue', with the guy at 'Rento', who took to do with the stuff ?,...(sales/marketing manager) Told him about the alternative way, to apply it,...& to my surprise, took me up on it,...and it was offered in the 'advice leaflet', ever since !,...lol

Doing the course Monday , £220 including accreditation , i know conditions have to be perfect for its use, but it does have its uses, i had a area where traps were getting stolen all the time, i solved it with talunex,

I found the best time to use it is just before dark as the gas has gone in 12 hrs so less chance of any problems.

Brian

Doing the course Monday , £220 including accreditation , i know conditions have to be perfect for its use, but it does have its uses, i had a area where traps were getting stolen all the time, i solved it with talunex,

I found the best time to use it is just before dark as the gas has gone in 12 hrs so less chance of any problems.

Brian

As you say, its availability offered you a solution, to get the job done, on that occasion ?,...but personally, i dislike the use, of the stuff,...for all the reasons others have stated, & especially for "vertebrate control ", is it ? ,..as they say,..lol Im a 'traditionalist' at heart, & therefore dont like the utilisation of 'chemical control methods', against our 'mammal pest species ?,....(i wish it would go the same way as 'strychnine', in fact !,...lol) However, i know this wish, is unrealistic, in reality ?

Edited by earth-thrower