Hard Mouth On A Dog.

"Some people just have higher standards for their dogs"

"Seems a lot of lurcher men are happy with poorly trained dogs"

We're talking about a bruised bunny ffs, I'd love to see some of you lads dogs, they must be incredible and flawless if you consider it bringing back bruised or dead bunnies as a mark of a poorly trained dog owned by a man with low standards!

well said watch you don't decry someone lol Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive had nice soft mouthed retrievers, in the past. Now I’ve the worm has turned lol. I enjoy the dog working and the meats a by-product for me these days. To compare to stock worrying is a bit ove

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people w

I tried the old walk away from mine on lamp after about two fields and a bit of cat and mouse. I stop he stops type thing he came with in a couple of yards. Tried a second time again walked nearly bac

Posted Images

Some people are just to good to be owning lurchers

Your wrong there, some people have higher standards for their dogs, and learn how to achieve those standards. Others are just happy if their dog catches. Up to the individual.

TC

Higher standards or different standards?

My current dog is a LTH dog, so were the previous dogs, that i've raised, before it. Imo it's not such a big deal to a lot of lurcherfolk and as i said, for some it's essential. I see blokes like Socks an Lloydy require their dog to do this as a requirement for a paid job. Others, like yourself, see it as a 'must have' quality because Lurchers can perform such a skill and some wordsmiths said that it's what they 'should' do.

Like i said, mine does it and its very nice but in no way would i put it in the same league as stock worrying!

It's just different standards and the best bit is that such wonderfully versatile dogs as are lurchers, dont need it in their armory to perform well.

While we are on the subject how exactly do you train a dog to be soft mouthed.... I understand the kind I things you can do which will end in a hard mouthed rabbit but have never come across a training regime to specifically 'train' it to be soft mouthed......

• Like 3

While we are on the subject how exactly do you train a dog to be soft mouthed.... I understand the kind I things you can do which will end in a hard mouthed rabbit but have never come across a training regime to specifically 'train' it to be soft mouthed......

Wrap a fur dummy in razor wire but if they are them double hard bull cross thingys, they'll just stand there an chew it!

Your wrong there, some people have higher standards for their dogs, and learn how to achieve those standards. Others are just happy if their dog catches. Up to the individual.

TC

Higher standards or different standards?

My current dog is a LTH dog, so were the previous dogs, that i've raised, before it. Imo it's not such a big deal to a lot of lurcherfolk and as i said, for some it's essential. I see blokes like Socks an Lloydy require their dog to do this as a requirement for a paid job. Others, like yourself, see it as a 'must have' quality because Lurchers can perform such a skill and some wordsmiths said that it's what they 'should' do.

Like i said, mine does it and its very nice but in no way would i put it in the same league as stock worrying!

It's just different standards and the best bit is that such wonderfully versatile dogs as are lurchers, dont need it in their armory to perform well.

You are right in that I do require a dog to be LTH but no because Plummer or any other author said that is how it should be done. The first dog I ever owned would crunch rabbits till there was not a whole bone left on the front end of the rabbit, she would even go through dead rabbits if left to, to find ones she had not crunched.

I decided then it was not going to happen again and learnt off of people how to minimise it happening again. You can never be 100% certain that a pup is going to be soft mouthed, but you can reduce the chances of it being hard mouthed. Basically it is train the pup the same as a gun dog and do not enter too early. Oh and buying a pup of soft mouthed parents goes a hell of a long way.

TC

Seems that a lot of 'lurchermen' are happy with poorly trained dogs generally. As for 'retrieving will come'-it won't if it isn't trained. Any dog should be well trained before it sees quarry of any sort.

that's quiet pretty that Is ....

Depends what you class as well trained, biggest thing is being stock broke, the other things are down to what the owner is willing to put up with...

Exactly-put up with=accept a badly trained dog.

See above! Maybe that should read some people put effort and training into a dog and make a decent working animal that rewards the time spent. Some dont.....

My take on it is you cant predict how a dog will react when catching live quarry. i was taken under a relatives wing when i was young regarding training/retrieving etc he used to compete in gundog trials, i used to go through from the dummy stage through to cold game etc for retrieving. My dogs would retrieve live apart from one who crushed everything from the first to the last age 11 i dont think i could have done anything to prevent it or cure it it was just the dogs makeup he retrieved well but it was just fit for ferret food.

• Like 2

Depends what you class as well trained, biggest thing is being stock broke, the other things are down to what the owner is willing to put up with...

Exactly-put up with=accept a badly trained dog.

See above! Maybe that should read some people put effort and training into a dog and make a decent working animal that rewards the time spent. Some dont.....

lol what ever

If you have to ask.........you'll never know tut tut....haha...

I have NEVER had a dog I couldn't train to retrieve it's pretty basic really.

Have been able to train lurchers and even a Patterdale to retrieve (that crunched everything).

I've got one lurcher that's just not conformed and has been to a residential with experienced gun dog trainer ..

He said its just not in the dog & with being a nervous type, he thought a forced retrieve would cause more harm than good..

Bar The none retrieving this bitch is great.

I seldomly work her as ive got better in the runs and lamping her would piss me off..

Do you think you could get a dog like this retrieving and how would you set about it ??

I've took this bitch to two rated trainers ..

She's hard mouthed to ..

She makes a kill and stands over them. She won't leave them and when called she eventually leaves them in situ.