Hard Mouth On A Dog.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive had nice soft mouthed retrievers, in the past. Now I’ve the worm has turned lol. I enjoy the dog working and the meats a by-product for me these days. To compare to stock worrying is a bit ove

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people w

I tried the old walk away from mine on lamp after about two fields and a bit of cat and mouse. I stop he stops type thing he came with in a couple of yards. Tried a second time again walked nearly bac

Posted Images

I have NEVER had a dog I couldn't train to retrieve it's pretty basic really.

Have been able to train lurchers and even a Patterdale to retrieve (that crunched everything).

I've got one lurcher that's just not conformed and has been to a residential with experienced gun dog trainer ..

He said its just not in the dog & with being a nervous type, he thought a forced retrieve would cause more harm than good..

Bar The none retrieving this bitch is great.

I seldomly work her as ive got better in the runs and lamping her would piss me off..

Do you think you could get a dog like this retrieving and how would you set about it ??

I've took this bitch to two rated trainers ..

She's hard mouthed to ..

She makes a kill and stands over them. She won't leave them and when called she eventually leaves them in situ.

I'm not claiming to be the best dog trainer in the world mate ... far from it but I have never failed to teach a dog young or old to retrieve ... there are loads of different techniques to use depending on each dogs nature and temperament ... I don't think that a gundog trainer would understand the mind of a running dog ... gundogs are a different beast altogether .........

• Like 1

Alot of lurchers are natural retrievers had a couple the pup aye have just now seems to be natural brought 2 rabbits to hand go out with a dummy brings it to hand then gets bored after 2 or 3 retrieves sits stays no bother so what more does one need

Edited by nothernlite

Alot of lurchers are natural retrievers had a couple the pup aye have just now seems to be natural brought 2 rabbits to hand go out with a dummy brings it to hand then gets bored after 2 or 3 retrieves sits stays no bother so what more does one need

Best retriever I had with the softest mouth was a natural retriever.........not one minute of training & it was an ex track greyhound......

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

I tried the old walk away from mine on lamp after about two fields and a bit of cat and mouse. I stop he stops type thing he came with in a couple of yards. Tried a second time again walked nearly back to the car lol and he was by my side put the lamp on and his stood there big grin and no rabbit. So I knocked that on the head because all it did was teach him to avoid me. All I do now is march up to and take the rabbit with as little fuss as possible. He used to walk of with them ten fifteen yards when he first started with the initial excitement then as he caught more the novelty started to fade and his now happy for me to take them. He still marches off but only a yard or two and just wants shot of them so he can get the next and they are mostly very alive and kicking. The other night he started to come towards me only a few yards but with encouragement I think I can build on it.

He caught his first bolter the other weekend it was superb catch and not easy and we were both over the moon. But he took it too middle of the field and because I couldn't leave the ferret he had time to play about and got pretty worked up. By the time I got to him he had rolled over all submissive and giving little growls. Now I had two options come down hard or play the long game. So i went for option b and popped his lead on and tied him up while I picked up the nets all the time his hanging on to this rabbit but calming down. I gave a little psst to distract him he dropped it like a hot coal and I got the rabbit with out a big dispute.

Then on Sunday he caught his first proper day time one and again excitement was high and actually came back towards me only 10 , 15 yards but let me take the rabbit no fuss and bother. Now I am sure if in the first instance I made a fight out of it no way would he have come any near me the second time.

So in my mind as he gets more comfortable handing stuff over for starters and trusts me I can turn it around and get him fetching. That is the plan. Might sound like bollocks lol but we are happy with it

I don't care if it takes a few years either its all good fun any way :thumbs:

Edited by terryd
  • Like 9

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people want to see mr rabbit fetched back to you unharmed so that it can be dispatched humanely rather than the big nasty dog killing it .......

It's nice to see that some people maintaining high standards. Personally I like to have the option to use the rabbit for the table rather than a poorly trained dog who will bruise the catch or even worse not retrieve it to hand. It beggars believe that people are willing to accept anything less than their lurcher retrieving live to hand and it is no wonder why gun dog people regard us lurchermen with such low esteem.

I don't think poor retrieving or hard mouth is why lurchermen are held in low esteem.

You cannot compare a gun dog retrieving a dead or winged bird to a lurcher running at 20 plus mph and connecting to its quarry it's bound to get bruised wherever it hits,

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people want to see mr rabbit fetched back to you unharmed so that it can be dispatched humanely rather than the big nasty dog killing it .......

It's nice to see that some people maintaining high standards. Personally I like to have the option to use the rabbit for the table rather than a poorly trained dog who will bruise the catch or even worse not retrieve it to hand. It beggars believe that people are willing to accept anything less than their lurcher retrieving live to hand and it is no wonder why gun dog people regard us lurchermen with such low esteem.

I don't think poor retrieving or hard mouth is why lurchermen are held in low esteem.

i found that alot of bull xs especially out of the pye line were natural retrievers live to hand yet seen whippets crunch them to bits it boils down to what you accept and whether you sell them on some become hard mouthed by other dogs trying to snatch there catch

I've watched my mates big bullx from a pup, retrieves rabbits like a dream on the lamp, works with the ferrets.. but is not a rabbiting dog.. :thumbs:

• Like 3

I tried the old walk away from mine on lamp after about two fields and a bit of cat and mouse. I stop he stops type thing he came with in a couple of yards. Tried a second time again walked nearly back to the car lol and he was by my side put the lamp on and his stood there big grin and no rabbit. So I knocked that on the head because all it did was teach him to avoid me. All I do now is march up to and take the rabbit with as little fuss as possible. He used to walk of with them ten fifteen yards when he first started with the initial excitement then as he caught more the novelty started to fade and his now happy for me to take them. He still marches off but only a yard or two and just wants shot of them so he can get the next and they are mostly very alive and kicking. The other night he started to come towards me only a few yards but with encouragement I think I can build on it.

He caught his first bolter the other weekend it was superb catch and not easy and we were both over the moon. But he took it too middle of the field and because I couldn't leave the ferret he had time to play about and got pretty worked up. By the time I got to him he had rolled over all submissive and giving little growls. Now I had two options come down hard or play the long game. So i went for option b and popped his lead on and tied him up while I picked up the nets all the time his hanging on to this rabbit but calming down. I gave a little psst to distract him he dropped it like a hot coal and I got the rabbit with out a big dispute.

Then on Sunday he caught his first proper day time one and again excitement was high and actually came back towards me only 10 , 15 yards but let me take the rabbit no fuss and bother. Now I am sure if in the first instance I made a fight out of it no way would he have come any near me the second time.

So in my mind as he gets more comfortable handing stuff over for starters and trusts me I can turn it around and get him fetching. That is the plan. Might sound like bollocks lol but we are happy with it

I don't care if it takes a few years either its all good fun any way :thumbs:

nice honest post, goes to show that every dog needs different handling when brought on, good luck with it
  • Like 2