Hancock Dogs

You can't really generalise about Hancock dogs as they aren't one type of dog. He keeps a lot of differently bred studs and a lot of differently bred greyhound bitches.

The only person with an inkling of what a litter might produce workwise is Hancock himself or possibly Sally, who have only feedback from buyers to go on.

I've had collie crosses all my life and know how variable they can be and how badly they can turn out if owned by the wrong sort of person. The only Hancock dog I've seen run is my own and she's a bit of a mixed bag.. She's a handy enough rabbiting dog but, although keen at hunting them up, wouldn't strike at fox or deer........ until she was six years old then suddenly, for reasons best known to herself, she changed her mind. :huh:

Collie crosses can be very different to each other, some being rabbit and hare only, and a few having huge drive and taking all quarry from the getgo (preban of course).

The ones with drive are the ones to breed from of course. If they have enough drive they can be very good.

• Like 3

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know why folk are so hung up on getting a genuin 1/2 cross,,or3/4 ect,,,,so what if there's a bit of something else in there....

Understand what you are saying Ray. The one Hancock dog I got left is out of hector (beardie half cross) and is not keen on fox but puts plenty of edible game in my freezer he hunts like a demon takes

That's the thing.... 'I want a genuine half cross, then I know what I'm getting'....except you don't as the parents have not been worked, ergo, you have no idea of what you're going to get.   I've

Posted Images

Are they worth the money and how many make the grade

:laugh: Here we go, yet again :snack:

TC

just with bit the bullet thread been taken of was going to put it up there £350 for a pup

I was disappointed when that thread was wiped. Post ban interesting threads are rare enough and a bit of bitching and squabbling can be good entertainment.

Edited by Maximus Ferret

Are they worth the money and how many make the grade

:laugh: Here we go, yet again :snack:

TC

just with bit the bullet thread been taken of was going to put it up there £350 for a pup

I was disappointed when that thread was wiped. Post ban interesting threads are rare enough and a bit of bitching and squabbling can be good entertainment.
I asked for it to be pulled was getting stupid !!
  • Like 3

It's behond me some after a collie x. Would go to Hancock when there's a litter like Kps litter about, I'd go for worker to worker over his stuff any day

I agree but in fairness there aren't many litters like that being bred. Does take some patience and even then there aren't always pups available. In a litter from good parents they're all spoken for pretty quickly, often among owners mates only.

Bored NL ? :laugh:

Putting things in perspective, the bloke and his daughter have bred a lot of dogs over the years and the odds are, not all of em are gonna turn out "super dogs" but some right numpties will have bought them over the years so that won't have done the reputation any good will it ?

The only Hancock bred dog i've ever seen is the best lurcher i've ever seen. The lad who had her really knew what he was doing with her. The owner plays a big part in the success of any lurcher.

On balance if anyone had bred the same number of dogs from worker to worker crosses as Hancock has bred his I bet the successes and failures would be similar.

Of all the dogs for sale on here you don't get many hancock bred dogs do you ? But there's plenty of worker to worker bred mutts always for sale.

I'm not hancock lover or hater but i do run a cnut of a collie x ( not a hancock dog) so posts like this always interest me.

• Like 4

Was bored Dewclaw69 but was enjoying the bit the bullet thread would have put it on thete was going to do a bitching thread but thought one about the tyre biters of the lurcher world would of been better lol

:yes: always gets the blood boiling a hancock topic

• Like 1

Not strictly a Hancock, but I have a Hancock x working whippet. He's 24 tts and is a more than capable dog. He hasn't been fazed by anything he's been run at. Not an ideal Hare dog but great on rabbits and other things.

Pernod

had my hancock bitch pts a fortnight ago after a bad injury. she always gave 100% for me and was a really good rabbit dog.

never had the wind for the long ears but took 1 or 2 in her time. She retrieved plenty of foxes, tho 80% of them were doubled up, she was nearly always the catch dog but lacked the strength or jaw power to do the job regularly on her own. she also enjoyed retrieving the odd roe, so all in all she was a decent enough dog for me if not a world beater. i probably wouldn't have another hancock but i enjoyed every minute of it with the old bitch. r.i.p cassie

• Like 3

I don't have a huge experience of Hancock dogs. . . . . but for what it's worth, here's my tuppence worth.

Ive only seen (I think) three dogs from his kennels work. The one was a long time ago, and I helped a lad enter it. I don't remember much, but it was a half decent dog. The other two, I have had a lot more to do with, and seem come on. Both are owned by friends, and members on here, and both have posted about their dogs in this thread.

Now I will say this, both dogs look to have all of the right bits in all of the right places. They seem to be able to do everything a lurcher should. But there is something missing, hard to put your finger on quite, but that thing that just makes an animal wed to it's work. They seem to lack that drive that makes an dog know from day one that it wants to chase and catch game. Sure, they will chase, but they don't seem to 'want' it quite the same as one would hope.

It's not a very big survey, so it may well be miles off the mark, but I really think that its got something to do with being bred off parents that whilst they may be well put together etc etc, have not been out hunting, catching and killing. You can breed a dog that looks just like a lurcher, you can do that without ever running anything. But its a lot harder to breed that heart, soul and mind into a beast, without testing its attitude and mindset in the field.

Obviously some dogs will be very good, as said, if you breed enough collie and greyhounds together, you will always end up with some decent dogs. But it's not how i'd do it, and its not where i'd go to get a pup.

If I wanted a collie x, i'd always go for some kind of line bred collie lurcher thing. And if I was desperate for a 1st x, i'd go and breed my own. I'm lucky enough to have access to a wide range of very handy collies. . . . . . so it'd just be finding the running dog blood. If I was going to do it, I know of a very handy collie that regularly kills foxes, as well as working 1000's of sheep, and I know some very good kelpie x collie dogs that have a good bit of bite to them. I'd stick one of these over either a working grew, or if possible a working greyhound. But you've got to get the right kind of collie!

Just my thoughts.

• Like 9