Update On The National Lurcher Club.

The funny thing is; I went down to The Midland and discussed lurcher representation with the CA directly. I am doing them articles and pics for their site and their mag. They are in full support of legal lurcherwork. We are all under the same banner. I have supplied them with a code of conduct. IMO nothing more really needs to be done apart from joining up more members to the CA.

IMo if no one will fork out the cash to join CA then maybe a discounted rate for a 'region' could be applied, say a tenner a year per member for that region and then that region pays subs to the CA. I have not discussed this as yet, BUT, I think it is the best way. :victory:

IMO it is foolish to try and publicise lurcherwork more than it already is. We need to defend ourselves against the biggest threat, and thats the divis on the internet posting barbaric videos. There is only one way and that is through a code of conduct IMO.

The CA will welcome you and your money like Arkwrights till, if it happens mate, sorry but I dont share your enthusiasm of Lurcher owners flocking to the CA, they will represent us but half hearted to swell the coffers, thats why all others retain their individual identity, Terriers, MFA, Coursing Club , self representation and a voice, as individual members you wont have that apart from being a member.

I think you missed the point I was making, or I didn't make it well enough. Yes, a lurcher 'club' is a good idea but they must pay subs and these subs must go to the CA in order for them to take the 'club' seriously. Thats my HO.

The people who run the CA aren't faceless individuals, they will listen to members. We are all for the same cause.

Not missed mate, all groups who join the CA have to pay £52 a member, thats why they done away with affiliated membership, more money, past history makes me have negative thoughts on the CA, I used to be a member and sat on the county committee of the CA, and witnessed first hand the lurcher prejudice , hence I stood down, I would like to think things have changed but Im not naive enough to believe that, I hope Im wrong for the lads looking to take things forward.

• Like 3

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am here again! Thank you Flynn, very kind of you. A momentary glitch now sorted out. Age has a few advantages, and dare I say it, having seen many times over the years the results of bitter infighti

As long as it is not done for personal gain why knock these guys? anyone who can make a stand no matter how small against legislation or future legislation needs encouragement, all the best lads...sti

I have been reading the posts on this subject and have been through all this ground prior to the Hunting Act, then it was done through the National Lurcher and Racing Club and The Association of Lurch

Tim Bonner now has an opportunity to do some house cleaning if prejudice is still apparent., Open on the table discussion is the way to move forward,

Mr Bonner offered the meeting in London so obviously he knows some matters need to be discussed. It is for the representatives who ever they may be, to put forward the legitimate concerns raised by working lurcher owners and to suggest how any impasse or impediments can be resolved to the satisfaction of those being represented.Many people want to join some club or association as I do myself but something with a voice and a true representative of working Lurchers and in turn all country activities.

Good luck with this ! I see your ideas but I'm sure there is a few old timers not wanting to make it to public about our country Pursuits! Nothing to hide just some like to keep them selfs to themselves ! But without a dought the lurcher world does need a better Image !

• Like 1

Tim Bonner now has an opportunity to do some house cleaning if prejudice is still apparent., Open on the table discussion is the way to move forward,

Mr Bonner offered the meeting in London so obviously he knows some matters need to be discussed. It is for the representatives who ever they may be, to put forward the legitimate concerns raised by working lurcher owners and to suggest how any impasse or impediments can be resolved to the satisfaction of those being represented.Many people want to join some club or association as I do myself but something with a voice and a true representative of working Lurchers and in turn all country activities.

No, you're wrong again. The first port of call needs to be a discussion on how lurcher owners can benefit the CA, NOT the other way around. Once lurcher owners are of benefit then they are in a far greater position. :thumbs:

The future of the CA does not revolve around lurcherwork, on the contrary, it is the opposite. :yes:

That needs to be remembered first and foremost. Then things can move forward.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.... :victory: JMHO.

• Like 2

Wrong where Mr Darcy ?The Countryside Alliance is there for members is it not and potential members? This is where it has lost ground over the years taking things for granted as you appear to be doing now. I said discussion or is it a dictatorship? legitimate points that may be obstacles in debate and progress . A representative body is only as good as those it represents. so the world doesnt revolve around who you say Mr Darcy, are you a obstacle in progress or is some under current preventing your vision?

Edited by desertbred

Wrong where Mr Darcy ?The Countryside Alliance is there for members is it not and potential members? This is where it has lost ground over the years taking things for granted as you appear to be doing now. I said discussion or is it a dictatorship? legitimate points that may be obstacles in debate and progress . A representative body is only as good as those it represents. so the world doesnt revolve around who you say Mr Darcy, are you a obstacle in progress or is some under current preventing your vision? in progress

OK, you know best, you're right and I'm wrong. :yes:

Wrong where Mr Darcy ?The Countryside Alliance is there for members is it not and potential members? This is where it has lost ground over the years taking things for granted as you appear to be doing now. I said discussion or is it a dictatorship? legitimate points that may be obstacles in debate and progress . A representative body is only as good as those it represents. so the world doesnt revolve around who you say Mr Darcy, are you a obstacle in progress or is some under current preventing your vision? in progress

OK, you know best, you're right and I'm wrong. :yes:

You have your opinion I have mine the proof will be in the out come of the meeting dont you think?or is that wrong also. Just a final point there are far more hunters, dog men and country sports enthusiasts outside the country alliance than in it doesnt that signify short comings it does to me.

Edited by desertbred

Tbh I find myself in the middle of both your views but I am leaning more to dessie's.

To be frank damn right they should be there for their members! The problem here seems to be that the business side has infiltrated into every aspect of what the CA is... There's a couple of organisations/charitys like that and they've left their message way behind in the past.

The CA should be looking at this in two ways firstly a monetary (let's face it they have wages and overheads) secondly at bringing a large hunting population back into the fold which swells numbers of voices, ergo giving them more clout ;)

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 2

The one thing that would put me off. . . . . is there as so many 'lurcher men' who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. And feel that I have nothing at all in common with, besides owning a faster than average dog.

• Like 4

I would like to think its about mutual benefit, what both parties can bring to the table, not promoting elitism for the CA, and lurcher people doffing their cap, that already exists and need dispelling, both parties should walk away from the table having negotiated the best terms and conditions suitable to both, some will be won, some conceded but a middle way, money will be the big stumbling block but we both need each other...sadly. I have in the past put aside personal differences to achieve a target and would do so again to get the right result, Go for it but go prepared.

• Like 1

JD, the way I see it is that we DO need to publicise what we do, but in a better light, and we do need to publicly distance ourselves from the idiots who post on Facebook being inhumane and illegal. It is only by educating the public that we will show that not all those who work lurchers are in the 'bad brigade'. We also need to try and educate the idiots: a long shot and a hard thing to do I am well aware, but all these things take a long time, a very long time. If we do nothing we shall never clean up our image. I disagree with you inasmuch that we already have the CA to do all this for us: it is not their job, no more than it is their job to police and implement rules/codes for any other of the field sports groups or associations.

JD, the way I see it is that we DO need to publicise what we do, but in a better light, and we do need to publicly distance ourselves from the idiots who post on Facebook being inhumane and illegal. It is only by educating the public that we will show that not all those who work lurchers are in the 'bad brigade'. We also need to try and educate the idiots: a long shot and a hard thing to do I am well aware, but all these things take a long time, a very long time. If we do nothing we shall never clean up our image. I disagree with you inasmuch that we already have the CA to do all this for us: it is not their job, no more than it is their job to police and implement rules/codes for any other of the field sports groups or associations.

Skycat, IMO the public do not have anything to do with the Ban, nor will their opinion have anything to do with any further legislation. The only people that matter are the MP's.

We could have been giving 10 million a week to good causes in the year befor the ban but the ban was still going to go through, this was down to MP's.

Members of the public aren't interested. They're busy trying to get on with their lives.

Realistically, a lurcher 'club' is going to have so few members it is not going to be able to do anything at all toward public opinion.

The only way forward is unity and working with the MP's. But thats JMHO.

All the best to those involved.... :victory:

It isn’t based anywhere within the idea of having a meeting place, at the moment Swanny it’s not even a club just a group of fellas that thought they should do something positive. There isn’t a web site either South hams as we would need a few quid to set one up, would you like to put some in the pot? If you are unable to Pm me you could use facebook to contact, via South West lurchers group. It was my initial aim to see that happen then let others carry things forward with a real committee being voted in by the members early next year. For that to happen there needs to be members and that calls for a better infrastructure than we have at present hence the call for others to join us. As a small group we can come up with draught mission statements and codes of conduct etc, even meet with the CA but to raise funds for things like web sites we need people to put their hands in their pockets. Once set up a web site may raise some revenue from advertisement if it gets enough hits, links etc but again that will depend on people using it. As Skycats suggests we need a platform and our idea was a web page that shop fronted all the positive aspects of lurchers with the working side linked within that, start with lurchers as a great dog, its care , history then once through the door we lead into the working side of things. Something we all felt at the meeting was that the old school catered for those who already agreed with us but left a massive support base untouched. All those who race or show their lurchers are as much targets for the antis as those that work them so let’s makes this inclusive and get them through the door. I’ve found over the years that once people get to know about the pest management side of lurcher work with regard to things such as reducing crop damage and food costs, culling to maintain a manageable healthy population, prey specifity, low risk of animals being left injured etc they see it in a different light. But you have to get them in to have that conversation hence the idea of a web page set up to get the new lurcher owners, the pet owners, the racers and the show people involved. At the end of the day, shooters have their groups such as the BASC, the hunters theirs etc and we rag taggle along behind.

• Like 1

well said skycat, it the idiots that post on facebook that give true lurcher men/woman a bad name and image to the antis and the genral public.

hopefuly the club would unite lurcher owners aswell as educate the public.