Update On The National Lurcher Club.

With regard to the national lurcher club, 4 people turned up on the day of the initial meeting, which was less than we had hoped, but we carried on regardless. The group found that we shared plenty of common ground in what we wanted in regard to the ethos of the club, its aims, role and methods of achieving them. Unfortunately one member has had to withdraw due to personal circumstances leaving just Dewclaw, Trenchfoot and Sandymere. We feel this is too small a group to continue but are open to people’s thoughts on the way forward i.e. new members etc.

A rough draft of the mission stament goes something like

“To promote and gain positive publicity for lurchers within the general public to enable a better understanding of the type and its welfare as a pet and worker. Within this to educate the general public about the positive aspects of working lurchers in regard to the dogs themselves and the benefits that they bring to game management and pest control.

To promote a more positive image of lurcher owners amongst gamekeepers, land owners and other country sports communities and hold a voice within established groups such as the Countryside alliance. Within this acting as a voice in discussions in both the public realm such as THL, Facebook etc and the political forum in regard to the future of country sports

To establish a code of conduct and offer a point of information to new owners to bring forward an ethos of respect for ourselves, our dogs, our quarry and the landowners on who’s ground we work our dogs.”

So any likeminded people who would like to put themselves forward???

Edited by sandymere

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am here again! Thank you Flynn, very kind of you. A momentary glitch now sorted out. Age has a few advantages, and dare I say it, having seen many times over the years the results of bitter infighti

As long as it is not done for personal gain why knock these guys? anyone who can make a stand no matter how small against legislation or future legislation needs encouragement, all the best lads...sti

I have been reading the posts on this subject and have been through all this ground prior to the Hunting Act, then it was done through the National Lurcher and Racing Club and The Association of Lurch

Keep plodding on, the more folk see the club on forums, the more interest it will generate, get your selves a nice little stall and some flyers sorted and get round the shows and fairs and promote the club, don't expect a stampede, it will only ever build up slowly. We are a minority.

• Like 2

The National Lurcher Club the seeds have been sown,now they need to be allowed to germinate and take root. The potential members need to be given an opportunity to Be a part of the growth process, as it should have been full participation from the outset. The basics have been discussed and a Agenda of intent drawn up now the promotion of the potential club has to be undertaken. Area Reps need to be appointed and put in place every location in the country should be represented.Time is of the essence now to get the structure completed . communication is the important component. and a club infrastructure put in place. Its now that members need to step up.

Lads I would love to join your club but as I am to far north to meet up for meeting but happy to support this any way I could pity you can't start a website or fourm for votes on this and would be able to show the support you have on this atb

Edited by bonehead

Is this the result of the long running post that Giro started?

it is and created all this interest,what happened to that post :hmm: there was a lot of ideas put up and members from here willing to join and' hey presto' a secret forum on here and all the transparency is hidden except for a certain few :yes: Where and who actually got to vote this steering group in? Early on in Giro's post it was mentioned that there is already a club recognized by the CA and member of the CHA to represent lurchers/longdogs but these chosen few decided to go ahead and create another group

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

it is and created all this interest,what happened to that post :hmm: there was a lot of ideas put up and members from here willing to join and' hey presto' a secret forum on here and all the transparency is hidden except for a certain few :yes: Where and who actually got to vote this steering group in? Early on in Giro's post it was mentioned that there is already a club recognized by the CA and member of the CHA to represent lurchers/longdogs but these chosen few decided to go ahead and create another group

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

what has this group being doing to represent long dogs mate ?

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

what has this group being doing to represent long dogs mate ?

it started out as an Assoc. of Lurcher Clubs and ran coursing meetings and cups for its members preban,where each club nominated a member to represent their club i.e forley cup. Once the ban came in obviously clubs folded as interest wained, but through Alan Tyers he kept the Assoc. going in the face of adversity that the ban would be repealed, that time has now come

Y.I.S Leeview