Yes/no

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think jeems write up is a very good explanation. That's fine to not understand something, it's another to dismiss it. It is absolutely necessary to have, even a basic understanding of this stuff i

Heres my take on it I would by any means say i am an expert but I have done a brother and sister mating and will explain my reasons in doing so and the resulting litter ...I and a few others were need

In and in breeding is the quickest surest route to creating a true breeding line of any domesticated animal. The point of it is to purify or stamp in the good points that you want be they physical or

Posted Images

w ketchum seems ok with it.don't really see why it needs to be done.it don't happen in nature.recessive genes blah blah blah don't understand all that crap.hasn't done show dogs any good

I think jeems write up is a very good explanation. That's fine to not understand something, it's another to dismiss it. It is absolutely necessary to have, even a basic understanding of this stuff if a man is to better a line of working animal's. The world's best greyhound, gamefowl , pitbull, sled dog, protection dogs, race horse, and on and on. Would have been bred using the process jeems took the time to explain.
  • Like 9

w ketchum seems ok with it.don't really see why it needs to be done.it don't happen in nature.recessive genes blah blah blah don't understand all that crap.hasn't done show dogs any good

I think jeems write up is a very good explanation. That's fine to not understand something, it's another to dismiss it. It is absolutely necessary to have, even a basic understanding of this stuff if a man is to better a line of working animal's. The world's best greyhound, gamefowl , pitbull, sled dog, protection dogs, race horse, and on and on. Would have been bred using the process jeems took the time to explain.
as for show dogs. In alot of cases they have used the same line of thinking and breeding but in reverse. Breeding towards faults instead of away from them. To create a certain look that they find appealing no matter what the suffering these traits cause the "dogs"
  • Like 3

didn't mean to dismiss it, sorry jeemes.if i was looking to breed i would just want a dog doing the business at the top of his trade.wouldn't mind what blood was in it.breeders of gamefowl,pits and like will sooner or later need to add new blood.

didn't mean to dismiss it, sorry jeemes.if i was looking to breed i would just want a dog doing the business at the top of his trade.wouldn't mind what blood was in it.breeders of gamefowl,pits and like will sooner or later need to add new blood.

That's it mate people breed workers tight to secure certain genes or traits and can outcross but show dogs are registered so have a closed gene pool and it can only get tighter as time goes on which is why they produce retards.

All these lads from Yorkshire seem to get by OK,a lot of them are cross eyed and a bit funny looking but other than that they're fine.

I'll never breed lurchers but if I did and chose to breed tight I'd want to keep a few back at least,I wouldn't buy an inbred pup in.

That's it mate people breed workers tight to secure certain genes or traits and can outcross but show dogs are registered so have a closed gene pool and it can only get tighter as time goes on which is why they produce retards.

but if you breed tight to secure traits in that line that like saying my dogs are the best and don't need improving.theres always room for improvment.

but if you breed tight to secure traits in that line that like saying my dogs are the best and don't need improving.theres always room for improvment.
I would say it's more like your saying " I have something good going and I'm going to keep it going in that direction. While always trying to improve the line by breeding best to best from within that family of dogs "

I would say it's more like your saying " I have something good going and I'm going to keep it going in that direction. While always trying to improve the line by breeding best to best from within that family of dogs "

why breed from the best in that family just to say you got a line when you could have a choice from all dogs. if your looking to breed dogs that all look the same(show dogs) i can see the point.not for working dogs though.

Surely inbreeding / linebreeding is a way to reach your goal in the end , but for the average joe it would be far easier to buy or breed first crosses (heterosis effect) with the same effect . Dont think there would be many on here who would inbreed /line breed dogs and and do the necessary .That is culling hard and be honest about your stock.

Surely inbreeding / linebreeding is a way to reach your goal in the end , but for the average joe it would be far easier to buy or breed first crosses (heterosis effect) with the same effect . Dont think there would be many on here who would inbreed /line breed dogs and and do the necessary .That is culling hard and be honest about your stock.

That's a fair point but if I go out to buy a gun dog,terrier, pitbull, whippet ect. I refuse to take a chance on a scatter bred dog when I know I can buy a working dog that has been bred tightly around good producing dogs that tend to produce whatever traits it is I'm after in a working dog
  • Like 1

That's a fair point but if I go out to buy a gun dog,terrier, pitbull, whippet ect. I refuse to take a chance on a scatter bred dog when I know I can buy a working dog that has been bred tightly around good producing dogs that tend to produce whatever traits it is I'm after in a working dog
I guess I'm saying your right. There is not many on here that will go to all that trouble but it would be foolish not to make use of the dogs that have all the blood sweat and tears of years of line breeding put into them by those that are willing to do it
  • Like 1

Even in the case of the first x lurcher. Let's use a bull or collie as an example. Surely you would use a pitull or collie that comes from a line of working dogs which could bring us back to line bred dogs. And that goes for the greyhound side aswell.

• Like 1