Choosing A Pup.

When choosing a pup to keep back from a litter to try to keep a line going forward.what do ye lads look out for? What in yer experience are the attributes needed. Does a pup that is a bit noisy and whiney turn out to be a Bayer type.Does a quite, steady pup tend to turn out to be harder.Does the shy timid type run for the hills when it meets its foe! I know only too well that all pups don't make the grade but interested to hear yer opinions on it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good advice Bosun. I always use this metaphor and don't apologize for using it again.   If you got a gallon of ice cream and put one tea spoon of shit in it, stirred it all around, what have you got

First pick the right parents then I like a bold confident pup but not aggressive

Buckle up boys .

Posted Images

Mind that word you stated their that if a pup is steady does it turn out hxxrdxr. Its a big no no on here apparently. Sorry shovel for the sarcasm. I like them to be full of confidence and energy. Thats my ideal pup.

Hxrdxr is the wrong word maybe I should have said heavyweight or a heavy mixer type ☺. In litters I have known the strongest pup not always but sometimes has the body but lacks the heart,the weaker pup sometimes has the most drive even though might lack the constitution for the longer more difficult digs.I have often found too the pup which starts all the rows in the kennel is only all show and doesn't often make the grade.I personally wouldn keep these type pups as is they are more hassle than they are worth. I have always just had worker to worker bred pups.some good some not so good.im trying to get some bit of a line started so all opinions and ideas welcome.

• Like 3

I'm liking your post kirsysdad because I have a hopeful that matches your description of a worker, dunno whether I m right. I have some of the earlier descriptors as we'll, I'll be better positioned to give an opinion post Christmas.