Feeding Fish.. Yes Or No?

i'm a caterer and often give the ferrets or dogs any trimmings i have if there is anything worth having.

i've just prepped and filleted 2 large fresh salmon so have a lot of belly trim, neck end and tail end that is surplus to requirements.

before i poach it all for the dogs tea tonight i was wondering if any of you feed fish to the ferrets? if so, raw or cooked?

i'm assuming chucking a bit of diced raw fish into them won't do any harm al all but just thought i'd see what the advice was from those a bit more experienced than me!

Two of the best litters i have had were reared exclusively on fish. I had a deal going with a lad who had a fish van and he would leave two bags of mixed fish and trimmings in the local phone box for me and i would pick them up on my way home from work. A word of advice though, clean them out daily because they do feckin hum.Edited to add that i mean clean the ferrets out daily not the phone box.

Edited by talt
  • Like 2

I must have picky buggers here coz I have tried to feed them raw fish on more than one occasion brown trout, mackerel you name it iv tried.And all they have done is sniffed at it and then pissed off back in side there box.

Last year I was given a cooked goose carcass at Christmas thought 50 / 50 wether they eat it or not couldn't believe it they were like a plague of piranhas all over it in there court they loved it lol.

cheers folks.

ive split it into 6 small batches and diced it up to try and stop them hiding it (to be fair, mine don't normally cache their food they leave it in the bowl)

they battered through the majority in about 3 minutes so i reckon it'll be done by the morning - its all they've got in there at the moment before they get a bunny in the morning so shouldn't be too problematic.