No Recall Hunting Up

Am absolutely gutted took my one year old bitch out yesterday just for a walk and empty let her off lead and she is off . Call her nothing no response starts to hunt up while I'm calling her not paying any attention to me . Then bang she was off me calling her and calling I had steam coming out of my ears !!!!! Well I lost her for over an 1 and a 1/2 hours my blood was boiling couldn't sleep most of last night wanting to break the c**ts neck !!!!!! Now at one year old what is best way to amend this bearing in mind season is just around the corner help needed or she will be getting the shovel !!!!!!

Edited by davey

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IM SHAW YOU WOULD OF SEEN THIS BUILDING UP,,,, IT SHUD OF BIN NIPPED IN THE BUD MONTHS BACK,,, DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO IVE BIN OUT WITH,,THEY SAY THEY DO THIS AND THA

It's a stage. They call it the 'flight' stage, which seems to me to be the wrong term. I call it the AWOL stage. You'll get through it but ONLY if you do not punish the dog. This is not being soft, fo

It hasn't 'gone wrong' as such. The dog is just going through a stage in its life where it feels the need to assert its independence and its prey drive has kicked in big time. You have to work through

Posted Images

Tough one. Bring a gun fook the shovel. Na mate get back to basics and stay calm. If you can? An hour and a half must of felt like forever. Blank the cnut for a while until it thrives again from your attention and wants to make you happy in turn makes dog happy = both happy. If not take it on a train journey which only you return. With a new dog.

Feel for you.

Take it to a different place where its unsure. Hide from it and let it find you. When/if it does return make a fuss then try again Davey, hide again and same thing again let it find you but if it finds you again, leave shovel and gun and give reward . Licking its arse can work wonders haha. Good luck mate

• Like 1

Tough one. Bring a gun fook the shovel. Na mate get back to basics and stay calm. If you can? An hour and a half must of felt like forever. Blank the cnut for a while until it thrives again from your attention and wants to make you happy in turn makes dog happy = both happy. If not take it on a train journey which only you return. With a new dog.

Feel for you.

Take it to a different place where its unsure. Hide from it and let it find you. When/if it does return make a fuss then try again Davey, hide again and same thing again let it find you but if it finds you again, leave shovel and gun and give reward . Licking its arse can work wonders haha. Good luck mate

. Cheers mush I was bloody livid took her out this morning she was ok then gets to brow of hill looks at me and runs to brambles but she came back . Think I'll start again and take her to sports field

Has it always been like that or was it the first time? Seems odd that a 12 month old dog would piss off if it's been schooled right from a pup.

The best advice I've picked up off this site over the years is to learn patience, start from scratch with it even if it means missing the beginning of the season.

It's a stage. They call it the 'flight' stage, which seems to me to be the wrong term. I call it the AWOL stage. You'll get through it but ONLY if you do not punish the dog. This is not being soft, for what is the point of beating the dog up for something that is happening in its brain?

You need to make yourself the centre of the dog's whole world. Play really energising games with her. Tug training really does help. See the articles on the home page on here. If possible, take the dog ferreting. That way she learns to be the predator alongside you and she learns the importance of being a team with you.

• Like 2

Am absolutely gutted took my one year old bitch out yesterday just for a walk and empty let her off lead and she is off . Call her nothing no response starts to hunt up while I'm calling her not paying any attention to me . Then bang she was off me calling her and calling I had steam coming out of my ears !!!!! Well I lost her for over an 1 and a 1/2 hours my blood was boiling couldn't sleep most of last night wanting to break the c**ts neck !!!!!! Now at one year old what is best way to amend this bearing in mind season is just around the corner help needed or she will be getting the shovel !!!!!!

my way is to practice recall in garden once I have it down out for long walks on lead to bond then local parks with lots of distractions on long lunge lead walk and practise recall try and get down with loads of distractions about or if I have another dog that's recall is good tie together shout them in excitement of young dogs make them switch off from you on a chase just stay calm and keep working we dog
  • Like 1

It's a stage. They call it the 'flight' stage, which seems to me to be the wrong term. I call it the AWOL stage. You'll get through it but ONLY if you do not punish the dog. This is not being soft, for what is the point of beating the dog up for something that is happening in its brain?

You need to make yourself the centre of the dog's whole world. Play really energising games with her. Tug training really does help. See the articles on the home page on here. If possible, take the dog ferreting. That way she learns to be the predator alongside you and she learns the importance of being a team with you.

I've lost count the amount of times I've come within a hairs breadth of losing it a beating this cnut to death.

Each and every time I stop, step back then run in with a full volley kick to his head.... No wait that's the fantasy again :laugh:

• Like 1

Am absolutely gutted took my one year old bitch out yesterday just for a walk and empty let her off lead and she is off . Call her nothing no response starts to hunt up while I'm calling her not paying any attention to me . Then bang she was off me calling her and calling I had steam coming out of my ears !!!!! Well I lost her for over an 1 and a 1/2 hours my blood was boiling couldn't sleep most of last night wanting to break the c**ts neck !!!!!! Now at one year old what is best way to amend this bearing in mind season is just around the corner help needed or she will be getting the shovel !!!!!!hhhhm well thats what hunting dogs do hunt !. put the dog on a long line ,so you have more control :thumbs:

I find it best to take the dog for a long walk first to tire them out then get back to basics when your back in your home/garden that way there's no distractions like there would be in the field etc and they'll be hungry so coming to you for a treat will be top of the list. Atb

It's definitely a stage. Assuming recall was previously okay?

My brindle bitch went through it at around 14 months but it didn't last long. And was always in the front garden. She started f***ing off up the drive without my say so. Whereas usually she would wait by the car. On one occasion she ran off along the road and kept running when I approached her like I was going to beat her. Luckily I kept my cool and it was soon over and forgotten about.

My pup now is going through the same stage. Usually when the mooch is over and I call her to put her on the lead. She knows it's home time and stays 6 feet away. Then when I go to grab her she fucks off. I walk away and she comes eventually. It winds me up and I want to throw the f****r off a cliff but you've gotta just stay calm and smile all the time. Tell yourself it won't be forever.

• Like 1

When the dog is within 20 ft and won't come back to you or won't go in the kennel run or back In the house. Usually At the awol stage as skycat calls it. What I do and it's worked on over 90% of my dogs.

Just stand still and stare at the dog straight into its eyes don't give any command or hand gesture just stand like a statue and stare don't break eye contact at all and you will notice the dog will first start to break eye contact with you only briefly at first then it won't want to stare at you at all. And nearly all my dogs at that point will come straight to me. Then I praise them and it seems to nip the disobedience in the bud.

• Like 1

It's definitely a stage. Assuming recall was previously okay?

My brindle bitch went through it at around 14 months but it didn't last long. And was always in the front garden. She started f***ing off up the drive without my say so. Whereas usually she would wait by the car. On one occasion she ran off along the road and kept running when I approached her like I was going to beat her. Luckily I kept my cool and it was soon over and forgotten about.

My pup now is going through the same stage. Usually when the mooch is over and I call her to put her on the lead. She knows it's home time and stays 6 feet away. Then when I go to grab her she fucks off. I walk away and she comes eventually. It winds me up and I want to throw the f****r off a cliff but you've gotta just stay calm and smile all the time. Tell yourself it won't be forever.

I think that's the case, you have to keep your cool, my bitch went through the same (her recall is usually spot on), i worked out if i stay still where I was or whistled (got her attention) and walked the other way however she were never gone that long just 10 mins, she did once or twice when lamping last season, she'd hop the fence and then take off to what i thought she was doing laps of the field :wallbash: , one time my mate caught sight of a rabbit in the distance when she took off so I assume she has and didn't want to wait for the lamp, she has calmed down a lot over this year and will be 2 in September hopefully its a phase that's passed, stick with mate it will come good. :)

Edited by MickyB