Best Collie Xs

Bird, although you could argue that kelpies are a strain of collie they're not a strain of border collie and were in fact registered as a breed before border collies became a registered breed. I guess it's more precise to say that kelpies and border collies are both descended from the same roots but went different ways. I've found all my kelpies have many collie traits but are definitely different. I'd say the main difference is their tendency to need less instruction and to prefer to work off their own initiative. They're also more likely to question your instructions if they disagree with you. I've had to be more open minded when working them and allow them to learn by making their own mistakes rather than constantly stepping in to tell them what to do.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You want a lassie type collie mun, won't hunt shit but will tell you when johnny's stuck down the well and it'll always find its way home.

Collie lurcher pups

Id concentrate on the whelp at hand for at least 4 years before id even think of owning a second dog,ill guarantee that the average lurcher owner cannot justify 1 dog in the kennel and rarely meets th

Posted Images

Yes love, them or loathe, them A good collie x was hard to beat,we always bred from an ex hill working collie bitch, to a top coursing greyhound, the bitch in her young working days had plenty of stamina, and face anything, if you walked into the yard at night, she was as good as any other watch dog, the bitch ran the hills around Moffat and South Lanark, what those dogs could do in an hours work, gathering sheep on very steep grades, you have to see to believe the amount of work and running they do, Now a lad from Derby said why breed from an ex working collie, (((( they have the minerals to do there graft, and graft well, you get a couple of Black faced Horned rams,

stubborn to the last, you needed a dog with power to move them, ((((( or would you rather breed from a collie that was only good for lying at the back door, and would run from those stubborn critters that I just mentioned, like a couch potatoe, flicken the telly over from channel to channel,with the remote control, feeling the world owed him a living, same as,,,, A good collie cross, will always fill the pot for you, put meat in the freezer, controllable and biddable, what more does a poor man need, and No vet bills,

• Like 9

Bird; sorry, I didn't mean to sound so cocky in that last post. I always reread a post before posting it but I was writing on my wife's tablet and couldn't scroll back to the top again. You know me...I can't help going on and on whenever anybody wants to talk about kelpies or collies. :icon_redface:

Kelpies are definitely my favourite pastoral breed,...

I am constantly tempted, to bring in a pure bred example,..but good sense (so far) has prevailed. :laugh:

So,.at the moment, I remain, a traditional collie cur enthusiast.

That being said, it is good to know that a few genuine Kelpie hybrids are out there,..doing their thing...

The future looks bright... :thumbs:

Dave%20Cooper%20Visit%20%20November%20%2

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

I am constantly tempted, to bring in a pure bred example,..but good sense (so far) has prevailed. :laugh:

That being said, it is good to know that a few genuine Kelpie hybrids are out there,..doing their thing...

Time to give in to temptation Phil :thumbs:

more so Phil than the acd x ,? I thought that you have prefer the acd x grey, after having speckle mate , got the old dvd great bitch she was . having been around border colliexs and had a colliexkelpie x grey my self , and never really took to there temps , to sensitive for me . I would think a acd x grey would have been beter type x as its got bit more fire in its belly , and don't get up set as easy as the above xs , well that the way I look at it , as you not hunting 24/7, you got live with them and I hate fawning nature in any type of dog , and don't think you get that with a acd x grey from what few people say . you don't see many acd x greys or pups , if there were more about I would have gone there 1st , but as they say you cant turn the clock back , you got to go forward with dogs + life :yes: